Netbook Help...

aesir911

aesir triumphs
i am looking to buy a netbook, with these basic specs:
* Intel Atom N470 1.83ghz
* 2GB 204 Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM Memory
* 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM); 802.11 b/g/n
* Intel GMA 3150 Graphics
* Windows 7 Starter (will probably upgrade to pro version)

what videogames can i play (or not play) with these specs? anything, or is it too pathetic?

also, what is a good external disc drive that would work with pc game discs? i was looking at this one, but am unsure if it will work or not.

With the intel integrated graphics you're massively limited on what you can run game wise. Older games should all run fine(5+ years). Any kind of recent games might run on minimum graphics, but don't expect much, maybe tell us what kind of games you'd like to run?

On the topic of the external writer, what you've picked should work fine, although if you're wanting to save a little money, you might want this model http://www.amazon.com/Liteon-Top-Load-DVDrw-Black/dp/B002QPZY8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281219106&sr=1-1

i was thinking age of empires games, halo, quake games, kotor, and wesnoth. (maybe some newer ones like dragonage or mass effect). is there a way to uprgade the graphics card on a netbook? and what one would i need to buy? would there be a decent (smaller laptop) that could handle these games and is decently cheap? i'm looking at the alienware m11x, but that is just too expensive for me right now.

Those first ones should run somewhat, although kotor and halo may struggle. Anything like dragon age or mass effect wouldn't run at all. Netbook graphics cards can't be upgraded, you have to buy a netbook with a better graphics chipset. Netbook wise, the best GPU you can get is probably an NVIDIA ION setup (GeForce 9400m). A GPU like that isn't exactly massively powerful, but far more than intel integrated, and could probably manage some of the newer games you mentioned on the lower settings okay.

Back