New 1.1.0 Firmware Out

I cannot update to this firmware, my wiz is stuck on the "GPH-Screen" and nothing happens. And now i cannot flash any other firmware, always the same problem ...

It doesn't work for me, I tried it 4 times now.
Some random pixels appear at the GPH logo screen (sometimes the logo starts scrolling around), after some time it changes to a screen with many random pixels and after some more minutes it turns black.
I always waited for 30+ Minutes hoping that something still happens and fearing to brick my wiz.

At least it doesn't break anything, not even the NAND gets flashed, but I start thinking that my Wiz is flawed in some way because I also never got rid of the distorted statrup screen in FW 1.0.1, even after following the instructions in other threads.

Upgrage complete, sadly they did not fix the autorun issue. Hopefully it will show up in a later patch, I doubt it would take the guy that's responsible for the menu code more than ten minutes to sort out...

I can't say that I notice the longer boot time, the difference must be negligible.
I have just updated without problems.
I have also tried the MAME4ALL autorun, and it runs correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone noticed that some things look a bit choppier now? That's because GPH menu is setting screen refresh to 57Hz now. That's obviously unfriendly to many things that normally run at 60Hz. I guess they're trying to battle screen tearing with this, or something.

Has anyone noticed that some things look a bit choppier now? That's because GPH menu is setting screen refresh to 57Hz now. That's obviously unfriendly to many things that normally run at 60Hz. I guess they're trying to battle screen tearing with this, or something.
Yes i see everything choppier. MAME says frameskip=0 but i really see frameskip. How to go back to 60 Hz?

Yes i see everything choppier. How to go back to 60 Hz?
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=48038

In firmware 1.0.0 they were not using 60Hz, instead they were using something around 80Hz. It's possible that this is something they changed with 1.0.1. It would explain why a lot of people have claimed the tearing has worsened, because when I tried 60Hz the tearing was awful. I resorted to 120Hz to combat this.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=48038

In firmware 1.0.0 they were not using 60Hz, instead they were using something around 80Hz. It's possible that this is something they changed with 1.0.1. It would explain why a lot of people have claimed the tearing has worsened, because when I tried 60Hz the tearing was awful. I resorted to 120Hz to combat this.
I have tried without results:
DPCHTOTAL=330
DPCHTOTAL=487
DPCHTOTAL=(487*2)
In fact it seems to do nothing... Nothing seems to change.

But if i set dirty MLC flag:
MLCCONTROLT |= BIT(3);
It seems to do something weird, the image is more and more choppier with DPCHTOTAL=330, 487 or greater values...

:(

Have you tried Temper with the new firmware?

Are you waiting for vsync?

No I haven't tried this new firmware, I'm very hesitant about upgrading.

Upgrage complete, sadly they did not fix the autorun issue. Hopefully it will show up in a later patch, I doubt it would take the guy that's responsible for the menu code more than ten minutes to sort out...
I can't say that I notice the longer boot time, the difference must be negligible.

It runs at the first system boot, but the correct behaviour would be launching autorun.gpu each time gp2xmenu starts. They could then make it like on the GP2X, where holding Menu+Select pressed skips the autorun.

It runs at the first system boot, but the correct behaviour would be launching autorun.gpu each time gp2xmenu starts. They could then make it like on the GP2X, where holding Menu+Select pressed skips the autorun.
Personally i like the current approach, you can enable auto-run to launch MAME when the console is powered on, but then when you exit from MAME, you go to the gp2xmenu. If it is not done, MAME is launched again and again...

Are you sure the NAND is still vfat? I just logged the update with console und get losts of ubifs messages...
It's now VFAT over UBIFS via /dev/loop. Thats the reason there's a 700MB vfat.img in the upgrade, that file is mounted at boottime for the user nand.

I think it's too late to save your games, but for anyone else who wants to back up their save games from Quake, here's how:

Make yourself a file called "quakeback.gpe" - you have to use a UNIX compatible editor and save it in UNIX format - notepad++ did the trick for me. This file looks like so:

#!/bin/sh
cp /root/.tyrquake/id1/*.sav ./
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Make a folder called "quakesaves" in the root of your SD card, and copy this quakeback.gpe file into it.
Use the Launcher from the Wiz menu to navigate to the quakesaves folder, and execute the quakeback.gpe file. It will take a moment to copy all of your game saves from the NAND into the quakesaves folder and return to the Wiz menu.

Once you have upgraded your firmware to 1.1.0 you can write a second script (quakeput.gpe) to reverse the process and put the saves back, at least until Pickle updates Quake to save to the SD card (tested - this does work.):

#!/bin/sh
mkdir /root/.tyrquake
mkdir /root/.tyrquake/id1
cp *.sav /root/.tyrquake/id1/
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Note: I had launched Quake before trying this script to confirm that the saved games were gone. It is possible that Quake created the needed folders in doing this and that there is no reason to acutally have the mkdir commands in the script, but in any event, nothing was harmed by having them in there. If it doesn't work for you trying running Quake once first.

I do not know where prboom saves it's save files to so no help there.

I think it's too late to save your games, but for anyone else who wants to back up their save games from Quake, here's how:

Make yourself a file called "quakeback.gpe" - you have to use a UNIX compatible editor and save it in UNIX format - notepad++ did the trick for me. This file looks like so:

#!/bin/sh
cp /root/.tyrquake/id1/*.sav ./
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Make a folder called "quakesaves" in the root of your SD card, and copy this quakeback.gpe file into it.
Use the Launcher from the Wiz menu to navigate to the quakesaves folder, and execute the quakeback.gpe file. It will take a moment to copy all of your game saves from the NAND into the quakesaves folder and return to the Wiz menu.

Once you have upgraded your firmware to 1.1.0 you can write a second script (quakeput.gpe) to reverse the process and put the saves back, at least until Pickle updates Quake to save to the SD card (tested - this does work."]:

#!/bin/sh
mkdir /root/.tyrquake
mkdir /root/.tyrquake/id1
cp *.sav /root/.tyrquake/id1/
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Note: I had launched Quake before trying this script to confirm that the saved games were gone. It is possible that Quake created the needed folders in doing this and that there is no reason to acutally have the mkdir commands in the script, but in any event, nothing was harmed by having them in there. If it doesn't work for you trying running Quake once first.

I do not know where prboom saves it's save files to so no help there.[/quote]Thanks for letting me know, I thought they saved to the SD card (It would be easier). Everything else is still there, it's just the Quake & Doom saves/settings that are gone forever.

I have tried to use the Exophase's VSync() function in the new firmware 1.1.0.

It seems the refresh rate is exactly 50 Hz.

I think I just bricked my Wiz on this. Over serial the updater said:

** Unable to use mmc 0:1 for fatload **
2 : g_filesize 0
UPDATE RAMDISK LOAD ----------------------------
sdi_command error

** Unable to use mmc 0:1 for fatload **
2 : g_filesize 0
### main_loop: bootcmd="bootm 0x02000000"
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Bad Magic Number
gpollux#

Now it won't boot anything. No U-Boot, nothing at all over serial. Black screen. :/

I think I just bricked my Wiz on this.
Looks like your bootloader is bust. You'll have to try peripheral doing boot as Orkie described here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=727888
Yeah, he told me. But it'll have to wait since it requires a Windows computer.

The update process should NEVER overwrite U-Boot. Shouldn't even unprotect the sectors its on. Oh well, can't expect GPH to do something right.

EDIT: I got it working in Wine, but the whole process is not working out. I can load/run the UART bootloader, but the "burning flash" option doesn't work. I've tried loading U-Boot (polluxb) in memory, running it, loading it again in memory through U-Boot using ymodem, unprotecting/erasing/copying to flash (0x80000000).. but it freezes on that last part. Just like the burning flash option freezes. I'm wondering if things are messed up by the shadow option being necessary for UART mode (which switches the 1GB address area in 0x00000000 with 0x80000000).. also, the NAND.mb0 might be out of date/can't work with my flash. I think that's the code module that's supposed to allow for writing the bootloader to flash. If U-Boot has the wrong flash location due to the shadow switch then there's not going to be a lot I can do about it. Or maybe my flash is just broken somehow. This is the 4MB boot area, not the 1GB flash.. at least I think there are different chips for that, maybe someone else knows better.

gpSP is not running correctly with this new firmware. Some games are'nt loading now, and some suddenly crash. Whish did'nt happen before the update. I hav'nt tested other emu's, but I will do that later. Besides gpSP, the settings in the menu is still quit unfunctionel, kalibration is now missing. Test mode and Touch Panel is not working.

How to downgrad? This firmware update hav'nt done anything good for me.

The update process should NEVER overwrite U-Boot. Shouldn't even unprotect the sectors its on. Oh well, can't expect GPH to do something right.
True, but it overwrites itself if you have polluxb on root of SD and do upgrade, so far all upgrades they released have different polluxb (what do they keep changing?).

gpSP is not running correctly with this new firmware. Some games are'nt loading now, and some suddenly crash.
Which games?

How to downgrad? This firmware update hav'nt done anything good for me.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=48378

Back