New 275mhz Gp2x Shows Clock Speed As 199mhz - Is This A Dud?

max_lan

Still Fresh
Hi,

I just got my 275Mhz Gp2x and started to wonder how I could tell how fast it was actually running. So I downloaded cpu-lcd--ram-tweak_2.1b1.zip and it shows the sys-Frq as 199Mhz.
There is nothing I can see on the case that shows it as a 275Mhz model.

Does the Gp2x start running in a slower mode than it can do? I only have a 500ma PSU which seems to be a bit low for the GP2x, so it often craps out on power up. Could this be the reason? Is it intelligent and drops clock speed if the 'battery' power is too low? Or have I just been sold a dud?

If I try to play a video with 'full speed' mode, either on my 'dodgy' mains adapter or on batteries (full, fresh 2300NiMh's) it craps out as well.
(by crap out, I mean *sizzle* and display corruption)

Thanks,
Max

You can set what each program runs at, either within the program or by using a script or gmenu2x. The default speed is 200mhz.

This is to save battery life. Most programs/games don't need any more than 200mhz to run at full speed.

All the 275mhz model means is that it has been tested to overclock to at least 275mhz (yours may even go a little higher), whereas random units are only guaranteed to run at 240mhz. You may have been misled by shoddy reporting in the Register and other places which made it seem like something else.

But don't worry about all that, just enjoy your brilliant new toy :)

edit:
I only have a 500ma PSU which seems to be a bit low for the GP2x, so it often craps out on power up.

You should probably stop using that immediately. You may have done some damage by doing that... others will know more about this.

Hi,

I just got my 275Mhz Gp2x and started to wonder how I could tell how fast it was actually running. So I downloaded cpu-lcd--ram-tweak_2.1b1.zip and it shows the sys-Frq as 199Mhz.
There is nothing I can see on the case that shows it as a 275Mhz model.

Does the Gp2x start running in a slower mode than it can do? I only have a 500ma PSU which seems to be a bit low for the GP2x, so it often craps out on power up. Could this be the reason? Is it intelligent and drops clock speed if the 'battery' power is too low? Or have I just been sold a dud?

If I try to play a video with 'full speed' mode, either on my 'dodgy' mains adapter or on batteries (full, fresh 2300NiMh's) it craps out as well.
(by crap out, I mean *sizzle* and display corruption)

Thanks,
Max

(Somebody beat me to it, but I took the time to type it, so here it is anyway..)

This is the problem with them advertising a 275 mHz model. There is no specific model that has a 275 mHz processor. The processors are made to run at 240 mHz and Gamepark Holdings down-clocked them to 200 mHz, all can be clocked up to 240 mHz and some of them can clock higher.

When you bought the 275 mHz "model" you paid not for a faster processor, but for someone to check to make sure that it clocks that high.

When I bought my 2x, there was nobody offering this service and I got luck of the draw. Mine only clocks to 255 mHz, but that is plenty fine for me, I guess.

Your PSU needs to be 1000ma, I think... it's not the stock one I assume.

The CPU-LCD-Tweaker can change the clock speed, or you can use a launcher like gmenu2x. (I would suggest the latter.)

Last of all... please remember to check the board before you post a new thread. These issues have been covered many times already

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree:

Code:
Want more power?
The Power pack is the same as above but runs at 275MHZ and comes with a Screen Protector.

To me, it indicates that it runs at 275Mhz straight out of the box; that is indeed what I would expect. I think these ads are misleading and should be re-worded. It should be made crystal clear that the CPUs out of the box run at 200Mhz and that CPU speeds are only USER SELECTABLE through extra software or through the application/game being used.

The ad perhaps should also indicate that the CPUs are rated at 240Mhz but have been tested to run at 275Mhz.

Obviously this won't sound as appealing but in the long term, honesty is the best policy.

Sounds like we need a sticky FAQ topic "I just got my new GP2X and I think it's broken because..."
It's probably going to change more quickly than a proper "user manual" is going to keep up with.

2 things I would add are :
Your CPU speed may vary
Always use a 1A rated PSU

There were a couple of other little niggles I found as I went along yesterday, but haven't had time to properly search the forum/wiki yet :
Is there a trick to popping off the joystick cap (I did search and either found lots of matches for people's mods or nothing)
Why do I get memory errors in the boot log?

I now use my under-rated PSU to power my BOB, I also have a powered USB hub that I expect I'm going to need to use later. So, one 'portable' device and 3 plug in power supplies.

Apologies for changing my own thread, but can anyone point me at a comprehensive guide to the serial port? I've been using hyperterminal and found that the enter key acts as a joystick click, but couldn't figure out any of the other buttons. Also, I'd kind of like to keep my shell on the serial port separate from the GUI on the GP2X. I tried restarting the GUI 'in background', but it was still taking input over the serial console, doing that made weird things happen and I needed to press each pc keyboard button twice to register in the shell...

Thanks,
Max

Oddly enough i had a similar discussion with a friend online the other day, he knew i had a GP2X and he wanted to tell me they had made a new version with a better spec of CPU (ie 275MHz).

When i told him what it actually meant i think the word he used was "con", although "misleading" is probably more like it.

Off-topic but the DS-X is advertised in a semi-similar way using 4Gigabit instead of saying 512Mb - tis the way of trying to sell things i'm afraid.

Yeah... don't EVER use an under rated PSU. 500mA you have the potential to damage your 2X... it's ok to have a over-rated PSU. You want one around 1000mA
Er no, having an under rated PSU will not damage the GP2X, it will crash it the same as when your batteries run out but it's highly unlikely it will damage the 2X. It's more likely to kill the PSU as the 2X needs more current than the PSU can supply.

Ideally you should get a a PSU that is rated 1Amp or above, don't forget that Amperage stated on the PSU is not like the voltage. The voltage is always stable, but the Amperage changes depending on what the device plugged into it requires, so if you see a PSU that is rated at 2 or even 3 Amps, that's fine. In fact the Higher the Amp rating on the PSU the better.

Oh and make sure it is regulated, that is very important. Otherwise the output of the PSU will be in direct relation to the mains voltage. And believe me, mains is very unreliable. It has dips and spikes, now the spikes are the ones that could damage the GP2X as if your PSU isn't regulated and you get a mains spike, the voltage output from the PSU will spike too, not good..

It depends on the actual PSU as to what will get damaged(how the voltafe is regulated etc)... but certainly both PSU and GP2X have the potential to be damaged if the current is under the required rate.

TheMinder said:
Oddly enough i had a similar discussion with a friend online the other day, he knew i had a GP2X and he wanted to tell me they had made a new version with a better spec of CPU (ie 275MHz).

When i told him what it actually meant i think the word he used was "con", although "misleading" is probably more like it.

Off-topic but the DS-X is advertised in a semi-similar way using 4Gigabit instead of saying 512Mb - tis the way of trying to sell things i'm afraid.
4 Gigabits is 8 times the amount of 512Mb, but it is equal to 512MB:) In other words, 512Mb is 512 megabits, 512MB is 512 MegaBytes. Little b means bits.

in the end, they are both a con, as is the 275 mhz. Clearing running your machine at 275MHZ is overclocking and probably voids the warranty.

WarmFluffyUK said:
PokeParadox said:
Yeah... don't EVER use an under rated PSU. 500mA you have the potential to damage your 2X... it's ok to have a over-rated PSU. You want one around 1000mA
Er no, having an under rated PSU will not damage the GP2X, it will crash it the same as when your batteries run out but it's highly unlikely it will damage the 2X. It's more likely to kill the PSU as the 2X needs more current than the PSU can supply.

Ideally you should get a a PSU that is rated 1Amp or above, don't forget that Amperage stated on the PSU is not like the voltage. The voltage is always stable, but the Amperage changes depending on what the device plugged into it requires, so if you see a PSU that is rated at 2 or even 3 Amps, that's fine. In fact the Higher the Amp rating on the PSU the better.

Oh and make sure it is regulated, that is very important. Otherwise the output of the PSU will be in direct relation to the mains voltage. And believe me, mains is very unreliable. It has dips and spikes, now the spikes are the ones that could damage the GP2X as if your PSU isn't regulated and you get a mains spike, the voltage output from the PSU will spike too, not good..

It's also a fire hazzard. Overdrawing from the PS could heat it up and catch fire. Most likely, it will simply burn out before getting hot enough to get the plastic insulator burning, but better safe than sorry. You can get a 1 amp power supply in radio shack for about $10.

Chris

Back