New and Improved Case Color Poll

What color do you want your Pyra case to be?

• I don't care

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • Dark Grey

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Off-White or Beige

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • White

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Dark Red

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • Dark Blue

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Dark Purple

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Clear

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Yes, black is rather generic as is grey. I guess Black, Dark red and Yellow or orange at launch. That might keep people happy.

Before vote i want to see how it look fully assembled...but not clear case for sure.

By only being allowed to pick one color, it prevents inflated numbers from peoples second/third choices.

No it doesn't, quite the opposite in fact. It means that some colours end up under-represented because they wouldn't be a voter's first choice. Inflated numbers would mean that it was showing that more people had a preference for that colour than actually do.

I like the look of the clear base - lots to look at there. But the lid, especially the new back is a bit less interesting. I think, it I had a free choice I'd go for a dark inside lid, opaque back, probably dark grey, and a clear base and battery cover.

I still think mixing and matching case parts with complimentary colours would be a good idea, though clear wouldn't be one of the colours I'd pick for it.

The clear case is perhaps especially interesting now as we've not seen how a Pyra all fits together before, but I personally suspect the novelty may wear off.

Exactly. I'll admit that the clear prototype looks pretty cool, but while it works for a prototype I still wouldn't want that in a production model. In my experience clear devices tend to show their age pretty quickly and end up looking increasingly tacky as time goes by.

-Neelix

No it doesn't, quite the opposite in fact. It means that some colours end up under-represented because they wouldn't be a voter's first choice. Inflated numbers would mean that it was showing that more people had a preference for that colour than actually

Think about it this way. Most people will buy a single pyra, yet they make two to three color choices.... Say for instance white is quite a few peoples third choice, yet most had dark red higher on their list. ED produces it, yet white doesn't really sell because a choice higher up on the voters list is available. Those are inflated numbers for white.

People having to chose one color, and ED produces the top couple ensures decent sales of each color (More so than multiple color choices).

Or for a more through example: 5 people all vote in this order: black, dark red, white. On the poll all would show 5. ED produces black, dark red, and white thinking the demand is there. Yet since black was everyone's first choice, dark red and white get zero sales. Over simplified but the point is still valid.

Last edited:
Can't decide, the renders in the other thread made the Dark Red / Blue / Purple look VERY nice.

Head says go for black though as it looks more "adult"

If the colours are available I'll get one dark red with LEDs programmed to a red glow, with a black and red desktop theme. The other will be a black case with LEDs programmed green and a black and green desktop theme (like xfce legacy).

A black case will make it pretty universal theme wise as long as you find one with black and whatever other color you want.

@SwordfishII Would having three questions asking, in turn for your first, second and third preferences help to assuage your concerns? In your example it would be clear that white wasn't a very saleable colour, especially if more popular colours were available.

I can imagine a situation where a minority who only want shocking pink and won't buy anything else would be badly served by this solution, but they're badly served by the existing solution at the top of this thread as is. And I've seen this approach used before on these boards.

Perhaps if there were an additional question of which colour you would absolutely not buy a Pyra in (if any) that might match the way people tend to think too.

@TheGoatEmperor About the material, it's made of polycarbonate

Are there polycarbonate dyes or do you have to use machinery exclusively? I could make something psychedelic and REALLY not see the screen =D =D
1415417-bigthumbnail.jpg

If not I could always bribe Nikolaus... :p

What happened to that killer "Yellow"?

If I had to make a choice of the ones presented, I guess dark red. I can't stand black, so as long as there are other color options at launch, I'll be getting anyone that isn't "black".

Chris
That makes two of us. Black and White are so uniform...

@SwordfishII Would having three questions asking, in turn for your first, second and third preferences help to assuage your concerns? In your example it would be clear that white wasn't a very saleable colour, especially if more popular colours were available.

I can imagine a situation where a minority who only want shocking pink and won't buy anything else would be badly served by this solution, but they're badly served by the existing solution at the top of this thread as is. And I've seen this approach used before on these boards.

Perhaps if there were an additional question of which colour you would absolutely not buy a Pyra in (if any) that might match the way people tend to think too.
If ED can produce, let's say, only 2 colors economically, and he probably won't do it in Shocking Pink or let's say, Forest Camo,
then the guys with IMPROBABLE colors are pretty much screwed unless they are rich. Another idea that comes to mind is a case sticker template which you can print using sticker paper in some shop with good printers that would do the exact color. you'll probably have to replace them every now and then because of wear and tear.

Maybe the colours could be Stretch Goals on a Kick Starter?

I'd gladly pay more to get a custom colour, I'm sure many others would too.

I could only add one question and 10 choices. If I used multiple choices they would have all been weighted equally and not given us an accurate view of what people would buy if they had to pick only one of the listed colors.

I guess being too clever actually makes me an idiot.

Well, yes. Your response to the poll is based on what, exactly? That some colour options "clearly don't stand a chance" - based on whose assessment? It can only be yours. And therefore you're saying that the poll is invalid because it includes colours you don't particularly like; at the very least that you feel might not be popular.

So yes, you look like an idiot, which is weird because having known you through your posting here for many years, you're clearly not.

Again, I remember you that if we get a clear or white case we can "dye" it later and get any color we want.

Well, yes. Your response to the poll is based on what, exactly? That some colour options "clearly don't stand a chance" - based on whose assessment? It can only be yours. And therefore you're saying that the poll is invalid because it includes colours you don't particularly like; at the very least that you feel might not be popular.

So yes, you look like an idiot, which is weird because having known you through your posting here for many years, you're clearly not.

Thank you ZXDunny. You have been most helpful.

... though I assess that vanishingly few even suspect what I am really up to, in spite of your most excellent assistance in bringing 'clarity' to the 'mystery'.

I could only add one question and 10 choices. If I used multiple choices they would have all been weighted equally and not given us an accurate view of what people would buy if they had to pick only one of the listed colors.

Yup this way is the only way to determine the colors to produce with the most economic return for ED.

Unless there was a way to weight the polls, something like 1 point for for first choice, 0.5 for second choice and 0.25 for third.

@Grench, you may, sure. I and Ithink most won't do that though. I would have swapped out my crappy silver Pandora case for black but don't want to risk damaging the LCD or cable and don't want to send it in as that would take a while.

Last edited:
Back