New and Improved Case Color Poll

What color do you want your Pyra case to be?

• I don't care

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • Dark Grey

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Off-White or Beige

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • White

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Dark Red

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • Dark Blue

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Dark Purple

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Clear

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Matte black PLUS safety orange, like this sexy thing:

vaiop3a1qsj.png
Dear god no! Not that thing! SAVE US!

I have seen "we need this other color" or "I want two tone" a few times, yet only one person picked "Other" in the poll. Obviously those colors and combinations aren't very popular.

How many PYRA colors is ED thinking of producing?
For some reason I have "two" in my head. If I am wrong then we will probably be getting boring black if he cares about poll results. He did mention that he is open to possibly doing limited runs of other colors (or lack of them, such as clear) in another thread the other day.

I should just let him answer, or someone else that remembers if he ever gave a number.

Since black and dark grey are both somewhat popular, and I kinda want both of those, maybe a middle ground would be good. Very dark grey. I need to look at the gunmetal and anthracite renders again.

I have seen "we need this other color" or "I want two tone" a few times, yet only one person picked "Other" in the poll. Obviously those colors and combinations aren't very popular.
In votings "Other" ain't a good choice - anything else is a safer bet. (If you don't want to waste your vote.)

In votings "Other" ain't a good choice - anything else is a safer bet. (If you don't want to waste your vote.)
Not if you prefer another color that isn't listed. Otherwise it just looks like everyone is fine with the options that are given. "I don't care" has more votes than "Other", and THAT is throwing away a vote if you really do have a preference.

@rygD: What I meant was, "Other" is effectively "I cannot go with any of the above". So it comes down to trying to secure a given option, you like good enough, or demanding a new set of options without knowing, if it comes to that or what might be in this new set.

A case made of root wood might look nice. Handcrafted and true, not painted as if, of course.

@rygD: What I meant was, "Other" is effectively "I cannot go with any of the above". So it comes down to trying to secure a given option, you like good enough, or demanding a new set of options without knowing, if it comes to that or what might be in this new set.

A case made of root wood might look nice. Handcrafted and true, not painted as if, of course.
That's kind of the issue with a pick-one style poll like this. It makes people vote tactically instead of honestly. If black and dark red were closer to tied, I'd probably change my vote from dark grey to black to vote "against" an option, which in turn distorts the actual distribution of preferences. Ordering by preference and scoring by rank gets a more representative result.

This isn't an official poll, so all we are really doing is throwing ideas around and seeing which colors are currently the most popular. If many voters pick "Other" and ED looks at the results and sees that he will know not to just go with the top choices. If the top pick is "Other" then he will probably read through the thread when/if he considers doing an official poll.

I don't remember if clear was a choice for the poll @FaeMinx created (or if it was added later). Regardless, I think it became more popular after we actually saw a clear cased Pyra. Black and dark red were already the top two, so no big surprise there in this poll. I don't remember where dark grey was in the running (it was popular enough for me to include here, based on his poll results).

If someone wants something that isn't listed they should treat "Other" as a write in vote, and say what color they want*. They could get other people on board, and can further help convince everyone that it is the best choice by making a picture like those in the thread where colors were named and pictures were made (we even had some printed ones, like denim). I think clear started out as an underdog at first, with only @directive0 and a couple others saying they wanted it. So did beige (and it still is, but was popular enough to be included here). If you try to vote strategically instead of voicing your unpopular preference you may get what you voted for, but there is no chance to get what you really want if you don't show your support for it.

I know this poll isn't perfect, as others pointed out. To make the next one (if there is a next one) better, we need to learn from this one. I don't see a point in adding new choices for each iteration when what we want to do is narrow them down. We can no longer have multiple questions in the same poll, and that is the biggest weakness of this, since the only way to let people pick multiple colors is to treat each choice equally, which messes up the results.

*I think that is why two tone isn't really being considered very strongly (it is easier to mix them yourself). It probably also complicates things since different batches of plastic need to be made, and the color combinations based on the molds may not appeal to those that prefer a two tone case.
[doublepost=1460010636,1460010201][/doublepost]
That's kind of the issue with a pick-one style poll like this. It makes people vote tactically instead of honestly. If black and dark red were closer to tied, I'd probably change my vote from dark grey to black to vote "against" an option, which in turn distorts the actual distribution of preferences. Ordering by preference and scoring by rank gets a more representative result.
Well, I can fix that by not allowing people to change votes. I already hid who voted for each color in an attempt to prevent people from trying to convince others to change their vote.

Let's not make the case color another fiasco like the logo polls. We already know we can get multiple case colors.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to critisize. There's nothing like a perfect poll. I just pointed out what "Others" will most propably mean to most people, if they are aware of it or not.

And other colours I just mentioned, beacause ... well I don't know. I'd like them, but I'm fully aware that they aren't practical ones. Plus, I'd be equally happy with dark red and already gave my vote for that.

Well, I can fix that by not allowing people to change votes. I already hid who voted for each color in an attempt to prevent people from trying to convince others to change their vote.

Let's not make the case color another fiasco like the logo polls. We already know we can get multiple case colors.
That only fixes the case where the voter has already voted. I could've always waited to see which takes the lead and again vote "against" an option. You'd need to make the vote blind and the results confidential as well to avoid the root issue :)

EDIT: Even THEN people could speculate which would be the popular opinions and vote based on that instead of their favorite.

If I thought it would actually increase the chances of this being an option I'd probably change my vote from Dark Blue to Dark Grey. Especially considering how few votes the Dark Blue is getting.
pyra_darkgreynoisy_black-png.28218

- Neelix

I didn't mean to critisize. There's nothing like a perfect poll. I just pointed out what "Others" will most propably mean to most people, if they are aware of it or not.
No problem, I actually appreciate it. That is how I learn to make better polls. I knew some people would look at "Other" as a garbage vote. I also knew that "other" choices have become somewhat popular. Those that go boldly have a better chance of changing the opinions of others than those that vote safely. That is why I prefer to leave the ability to change votes available.

Stupid and "other" colors I have mentioned and supported include octarine, Nintendo's "Extreme Green", yellowish green, various translucent colors, beige, dark red, dark grey, and probably a bunch more. I wanted to include octarine as a fun choice here, then ran out of slots for options with 3 more serious choices left. I ended up combining 2 and adding "Other" just to get the most popular options on there. Yellow was one I honestly forgot, but other is a choice that should cover that.

That only fixes the case where the voter has already voted. I could've always waited to see which takes the lead and again vote "against" an option. You'd need to make the vote blind and the results confidential as well to avoid the root issue :)

EDIT: Even THEN people could speculate which would be the popular opinions and vote based on that instead of their favorite.
You are absolutely right. Actually, all someone needs to do is ask someone that voted where everything ranked before voting. I am not sure how it would work if looking at a restricted poll like that without being logged in. If ED does do an official poll I think it would be best to block all that stuff and put a time limit. I wouldn't be surprised if there were few votes until right before it ended, but it might increase the chances of getting honest opinions.

If I thought it would actually increase the chances of this being an option I'd probably change my vote from Dark Blue to Dark Grey. Especially considering how few votes the Dark Blue is getting.
pyra_darkgreynoisy_black-png.28218

- Neelix
Initially I thought dark blue was going to sneak up from the rear and be one of the top 3. It got enough votes right away that I think it deserves consideration (too bad we can't get a timeline for polls). I don't personally like blue, but many people here do, and dark blue could look really good imo. Although irrelevant, blue doesn't seem to fit to me because of the name "Pyra", where it came from, and the ideas behind it.

I think I prefer dark grey to black, as I hinted at earlier, but black might look ok with the sparkliness that ED mentioned wanting to add. Your dark grey is awesome, and I would like it even if it were made cooler (as in temperature, such as by adding some blue). It looks a bit warm in that pic. So cool very dark grey for me, I guess. :p
[doublepost=1460014527,1460013413][/doublepost]@bzar I don't see a way to make results confidential, so what I described above is probably the best way to get honest opinions.

I had another thought, though. Since people can't see the results even after voting they may choose to vote ultra-conservatively and only go with one of the top 2 choices (including voting against the one they dislike). This means that most likely we would only get one or both of black and dark red, depending on how many colors ED gets for the first batch of Pyras. This could mean that someone trying hard to convince others to vote for a less popular color could get more votes than expected, and possibly take the top spot (although extremely unlikely). Maybe I CAN get Extreme Green after all!

What would be really cool is if ED decided to go with the top color choice as the default (assume black) and do small runs of the other colors by order of popularity, stopping at a certain percentage or number of votes. Clear could be a preorder only color to commemorate the First Prototype. The fun colors could maybe be an add-on option, or be purchased alone. I would probably end up with a bunch of cases (just like with my Game Boys, however those cases mostly have guts in them now).

I think this is simply hilarious!

It would be a shame if only I got the joke of it all...
... an equal shame if only the subject never got it...

What a balancing act of pointing out the obvious with subtlety... and making the subtlety obvious...

What a picture is being painted... can Anyone see?

Dear god no! Not that thing! SAVE US!
The orange/black combo is quite flashy for sure, but still a looker in this man's opinion. Doesn't hold a candle to the little black one though, the one I ultimately went for:
sony-vaio-p-rom-7kzqm7.jpg

Initially I thought dark blue was going to sneak up from the rear and be one of the top 3. It got enough votes right away that I think it deserves consideration (too bad we can't get a timeline for polls). I don't personally like blue, but many people here do, and dark blue could look really good imo. Although irrelevant, blue doesn't seem to fit to me because of the name "Pyra", where it came from, and the ideas behind it.

I noticed that too and was hoping to see that trend continue. Alas it was not to be. :'(

While I get the relevance, I just don't like red as a device colour, especially the wine colour used for the render on the web page. It's a personal preference thing. *shrugs* Oddly enough I do like red as a hair colour... go figure :)

I think I prefer dark grey to black, as I hinted at earlier, but black might look ok with the sparkliness that ED mentioned wanting to add. Your dark grey is awesome, and I would like it even if it were made cooler (as in temperature, such as by adding some blue). It looks a bit warm in that pic. So cool very dark grey for me, I guess. :p

*nods* The colour was based directly on the image God Ginrai posted to show the desired colour and effect. I must say I was really pleased with how it came out. I would be quite happy if I could get a Pyra in that colour. :)

-Neelix

"dp" is always dp, HPs logo is just as much bp as it is hp, and it is less symmetrical. I remember when we made that exact same HP logo, only it was better. And I dug up their design-initiative from 2011 and said it wasn't original enough. And people agreed.

So who cares what some hack company does, we are better than that.

Sony Vaio went out of business and has sold their laptop division.
Japan industrial partners now owns it, but sony has 5%, enough to kick in the boycott.

Last edited:
It would be cool to do this as elimination heats.

Take the top 4 and remove the other options and then make everyone who voted on the others to choose from those 4 options. Then 3. Then 2. And then we have our colour.

Can't help but notice that it's rare ED comments on this topic. I guess he's trying to remain neutral.

If ED feels the output of these threads isn't enough, he can start his own thread when he knows what colours can be made. Until he knows that it's a little early for him to get involved - he doesn't really want to end up supporting a colour combination that turns out to be too expensive and difficult to reproduce reliably.

Back