New Beta Of Gp2xmb

Ok, I found a couple of problems with the latest build:

When you reverse the button layout, a couple things don't work, like:

1. Holding down the DOWN direction won't fast scroll through folder lists
2. You can't create shortcuts on the games menu with the Y button anymore.

Keep up the good work! This menu is shaping up to be really nice!

-Pat F.

pferguso posted on Mar 14 2007 at 07:54 PM said:
2. What frequency does this file launcher run in? It seems like it would
take a faster CPU to do what it is doing, and it is more responsive than the
default browser.

Due to all the graphics I have been forced to set it at 200 MHz. I am
not sure about the frame rate, but I suspect it to be around 10 FPS. I
should probably check that some day... In difference to other
applications (games and launchers) I do not use a double buffer, as it
for some reason created a lot of weird errors.
Does this mean, the whole Menu works only at 200MHz and 10 FPS? Whoa, I think it's very important of an GP2X Menu, that it can save batteries while running at 100MHz or less (like Gmenu2X :) ) Well for me this is one important factor because I try to do every tweak to save my poor rechargebles. With my beloved Gmenu I can handle this for every Link and many of my apps run underclocked.
Can Gp2xmb do clock settings for each Link?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess if double-buffering could be implemented (rather than, I guess, blitting the whole screen) you will increase the framerate in-menu and so be able to underclock the cpu a little?

Just tried this for the first time, I'm impressed. Yes I know it's a knock off of the PSP/PS3 system but it's well programmed, fluid and functional. Although I think it needs some kind of editable fields so you can create your own sections (Emulators, Apps, Games etc etc) else the 'Games' section will become very full.

Apart from that the basic menu system is perfectly fine, just needs the USB etc enabled, overclocking and other Gmenu2x features :)

Running at 200Mhz doesnt bother me much, You're rarely in the menu system that long anyway so difference to battery power would be minimal.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

DynaMight posted on Mar 22 2007 at 07:25 PM said:
Running at 200Mhz doesnt bother me much, You're rarely in the menu system that long anyway so difference to battery power would be minimal.
Hehe - very good point! :)

Well I spend some Time in Gmenu2X because it looks so beautiful with a good skin. :lol:

I have tried this GP2xmb menu here. I looks nice but it's not very usable for me. Much to "consolish" for my taste. I prefer a more Desktop-like interface because the GP2X is an Emulator PC for me who just look like an Handheld. :lol:
Well, the Gp2xmb really look stylish and it could be useful for PSP-people to take a more familar look at the GP2X. But for an Version 5 there are many features missing, no mp3, not much image-formats for the picture viewer, some menu-points not working (yet) and it takes ages to find a game .gpe through the menu-system.
...but it looks nice... ;)

And as I know it it has the same damn USB bug like in GMenu2x:
The via USB transfered Files are not shown on GP2X until reboot!!! Why nobody TEST the stuff he develops??? :( I have this problem since Ages! Only the normal GPH Firmware USB connection workes (sometimes! but often hangs so reboot must be done to) Maybe it's my WinXP but I don't belive this.
All I want is to have my files visible and ready to use on GP2X after USB transfer WITHOUT rebooting my Handheld.

As the guy said on his website:

I need input from people on defects and improvements. It is hard for me to fix something if I do not know that it is broken. Just send me an email (address at the bottom of the page) with GP2XMB defect as the subject.
In the email body describe the problem and include the following items:

1. Firmware version
2. GP2XMB version
3. Procedure to reproduce

Thanks!

brorsson at [nospam]bsnet.se is his email address

Well that depends on how many apps you have. With all of that sequential scrolling to locate what you want you actually could be there for awhile if you have alot ;) Is the extra needed clock and more time needed to get to your app worth it for pretty animations? I guess so for some.

DaveC posted on Mar 29 2007 at 12:07 AM said:

Well that depends on how many apps you have. With all of that sequential scrolling to locate what you want you actually could be there for awhile if you have alot ;) Is the extra needed clock and more time needed to get to your app worth it for pretty animations? I guess so for some.
I don't really understand your point. Do you want the developer to stop working?

I think it is obvious that this is for people that consider aesthetics more important than ergonomics, and surely variety is a good thing.
I definitely don't think that the developer should switch to another layout style. After all, we do want some variety.

Hanz™ posted on Mar 28 2007 at 11:16 PM said:
Do you want the developer to stop working?

No.

Back