New Boards - Help me out :)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I did a first import this morning with a beta version if the IPB4.1 importer...

And while there are still some things to be fixed, it mostly worked fine.

I already reported back a list of bugs to the XenForo team. We're working together to improve the importer.

You can check the new boards here:

http://pyra-handheld.com/boards/forums/

Your normal login details should work.

Right now, the site is a fresh XenForo installation. I've not yet added any theming, addons, etc.

You can do whatever you like there, test everything, check stuff, give feedback and let me know what bugs you will find.

You can also browse the official addons list (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/add-ons.28) and suggest any add-ons that might be useful.

Some things you SHOULD NOT report as bugs (those are bugs in the migration):

1. Attachments: All attachments should be there, but not properly inserted in the post yet (instead of pictures you will only see part of the filename)

2. Embedded videos are not there yet

3. Spoiler and Code tags not imported yet

4. Too many Enter in posts created since we used IPB4.0

5. Emoticons not yet properly imported

So, let me know anything you find or want to improve here in this forum section, but be sure to mention it's for the new boards :)

We will migrate once the new boards are fully setup and working, no need to hurry :)

Tells me it's a work in progress and I have no permissions :)

You don't? Heh, then it probably didn't import the moderators properly.

Neelix can post but needs to be approved (Supporter group) and Levi can post normally :)

Need to check, as we already got the official enhanced search plugin that can be used with ElasticSearch (need to enable Elasticsearch on the server first though).

I don't like having the timestamp at the bottom of the post.

This add-on can fix that but it's not free.  But perhaps a similar effect can be achieved without it?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/cxf-post-timestamp-header.4756/

-Neelix

As long as it is there somewhere I am fine with it at the bottom/top/side.

I have made a few posts.  I may have some suggestions (like being able to write in an answer on a single choice poll) in a few days, once I have messed around a bit more.

1. Cant see pictograms for forum sections, think this is a css issue on my part.
  2. Too many horizontal line elements on the main page.
  3. Watched threads dont carry over.
  4. Ignores dont carry over.
  5. Links in signatures dont carry over.
  6. User timezones do not carry over. Defaults to -11.
  7. "Starred conversations" unknown if carries over.
  8. Can not see outbox/sent messages, only conversations people replied to. CANTFIX: User blindness
  9. "Your news feed" should be renamed "News feed subscription" I updated status, so if anyone following me can see the "well-known member" it works.
  10. http://pyra-handheld.com/boards/members/comradekingu.2326/followers not devided into pages, so you click "more" 8 times and it produces only the next amount of whatever wasnt shown already.
  11. Two-step verification links to google authenticator and authy when free software alternatives exist. Like this available from non-spying repo.
  12. There arent any resources, other than this example category.
  13. http://pyra-handheld.com/boards/help/terms are a bit daft.
  14. Does not default to https
  15. Uploading attachments works when selecting "do not use flash-based uploader". Sounds very antifeature to have that enabled anyhow.
  16. Would be nice with list of BB codes available from somewhere in the editor, like the smileys are.

17. Promotes Twitter and Facebook. Each of which run a lot of scripts...

18. Clicking on the pandora/pyra logo leads to a 404 http://pyra-handheld.com/boards/

19. The trophies are a bit daft. Suggestions?

• Show your online status

This will allow other people to see when you are online.

Is on by default. Maybe turn off. Dont know how it is for people who purposely turned it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not checked it extensively but it seems very quick and my first impressions are positive!

EDITAlso logged in and it said I have alerts, after clicking the alerts it mentioned that "I have no permissions for this action"

Seems to be fine for me too, that oldschool bbcode editor is a huge relief. The only thing noticed so far is that it's not possible to edit PMs.

User timezones do not carry over. Defaults to -11.

It did for me,   Timezone was already set correctly to GMT+10  (though I could see no reference to DST adjustment, it's currently GMT+11 here - for the time being I'll assume this is automatic,  I'll check it later though.)

Can not see outbox/sent messages, only conversations people replied to.

I sent a message earlier, and it's right there in the "Inbox".   As yet I haven't received a reply.

-Neelix

Neelix can post but needs to be approved (Supporter group) and Levi can post normally :)

I also need to go through a second screen to confirm if I really, really like something of his before it will let me like it too ;)

FWIW, I note my 'donor' badge has gone off here - I guess that goes off a month after the donation or something.

I also need to go through a second screen to confirm if I really, really like something of his before it will let me like it too ;)

Seriously?    That's really bizarre. :)

FWIW, I note my 'donor' badge has gone off here - I guess that goes off a month after the donation or something.

Actually I think the Donor badges went missing in the upgrade from IPB 4.0 to IPB 4.1.

-Neelix

Yes, the like confirmation screen is probably not needed, but otherwise it seems to work fine even with JS disabled.

Unfortunately it also uses empty anchors with content provided by CSS (at least when using Mozilla). I'll have to check with Dillo on the Pandora whether it uses something more sane then.

Just reporting a few things found on the new boards:

- Non-square avatars can't be used any more.

- Avatar pictures can't be zoomed in the avatar editor, only cropped to a square of the expected resolution.

- There's no refreshable page to show new posts.  There's a bookmark, but it generates a new URL every time, so if you refresh it it just shows you the old data.

- There's no way to preview posts (edited: for non-JS users.  JS-enabled users can find it under 'more options')

But on the positive side:

- BBCode editing seems well supported

- Non javascript/flash users can fully post, edit, quote and attach files. Multiquoting without JS requires some creative thinking, but I've never met a non-JS form that lets you multiquote.  BBCode quotes aren't hard to manufacture, if you've seen one before.

- It's quick!

And a new request:

- It'd be nice to be able to supply 'other' votes to polls, in the poll, rather than having to post them in a potentially already cluttered thread that follows the poll.

To summarise: it'll require a little relearning of ways of working, but already it will probably please more users than it will significantly impact negatively, especially coming from IPB4.x.

I don't like having the timestamp at the bottom of the post.

This add-on can fix that but it's not free.  But perhaps a similar effect can be achieved without it?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/cxf-post-timestamp-header.4756/

-Neelix

That's probably just a small modification in the theme itself, but it's probably cheaper buying that for 4,99 USD than figuring it out myself ;)

Too many horizontal line elements on the main page.

Not sure what you mean with that - you mean the dividers between the forums?

I like them - I don't like sites that have no visible dividers and just look like a long text on a piece of toilet paper :)

Or did you mean something different?

1. Watched threads dont carry over.
  2. Ignores dont carry over.
  3. Links in signatures dont carry over.
  4. User timezones do not carry over. Defaults to -11.
  5. "Starred conversations" unknown if carries over.

I will check these, but I think the timezone carries over (except for Daylight saving time).

I don't even know what Starred Conversations are :D

1. "Your news feed" should be renamed "News feed subscription" I updated status, so if anyone following me can see the "well-known member" it works.

Well, renaming things is easy and can always be done, but I'm not sure why... Your news feed also sounds okay for me.

1. http://pyra-handheld.com/boards/members/comradekingu.2326/followers not devided into pages, so you click "more" 8 times and it produces only the next amount of whatever wasnt shown already.

That's a bit weird, but I guess it's a design thing from XenForo, not something we can fix easy.

1. Two-step verification links to google authenticator and authy when free software alternatives exist. Like this available from non-spying repo.

Eh? That's an Android app...? How should that be useful for us?

Also, where do you need a two-step-verification so I can take a look into it?

1. There arent any resources, other than this example category.

As mentioned: It's a fresh install right now, no one used it yet ;)

Same here, it's the standard terms, nothing changed yet.

1. Does not default to https

Probably because I haven't enabled SSL on that domain yet ;)

1. Uploading attachments works when selecting "do not use flash-based uploader". Sounds very antifeature to have that enabled anyhow.

It should also work with the Flash-Based uploader which has the advantage that you can upload multiple files at once (great for pictures).

And it should fall back to the standard one if no flash is installed on your system.

What exactly was your issue? Did the uploader not work? Did the fallback not function?

1. Would be nice with list of BB codes available from somewhere in the editor, like the smileys are.

Yes, I think there's a plugin for that, will look into that!

Promotes Twitter and Facebook. Each of which run a lot of scripts...

Yes, I plan to remove those buttons with a click-to-activate first, so that the scripts are not automatically loaded.

Clicking on the pandora/pyra logo leads to a 404 http://pyra-handheld.com/boards/
Yeah, that was my bad on the setup.
Didn't care to fix it yet, as the homepage should lead back to the Pyra Homepage anyways :)

1. The trophies are a bit daft. Suggestions?
First we need to find out if they are even useful :D

• Show your online status

This will allow other people to see when you are online.

Is on by default. Maybe turn off. Dont know how it is for people who purposely turned it off

Good idea. That's a setting I can change.

Back