new classic Pandora: a few issues :-(

If the pins are loose, don't glue it! Soldering is the only way to make a good connection again.

Edit: I guess not the stability pins are broken as those are the strongest ones. If there is no damage on the actual connectionpins, there should be no disfunction.

Last edited by a moderator:
- don't have (and never used) a soldering iron - so that is out.  Found a mini-usb to usb, and usb mains adapter - and it seems to charge okay, so will just stick with that and will just stop using the mains adapter.

- Re-flashed and the gui selection seems a bit better - it now lets me get to mini menu (although it still asks me for a password 1st - even though I told it not to).

- the "7" key and the "the case opening in between the SD cards" issues seem better since opening and re-screwing the case.

Now waiting for my 32gb SD card to turn up :)

I've found that the old 700mA Blackberry chargers work very well. Not as fast as AC, but tolerable.

yep, charging via usb is quite slow :-( and the device needs to be on for it to charge.  it went from 5% to 30% in around 2hrs.  I've disabled USB host (and it still charges) and disabled wifi, and said for it to go into "low power mode" when the lid is shut.  Anything else I can do to speed it up?  I'll maybe try and get an official Blabkberry mini usb charger if it is going to be a bit quicker

fyi - the pandora always needs to be on for charging, even with the normal charger plug

kaiserpc, do you know anyone/anyplace in your area who has some electronics soldering experience? And also trustworthy? According to your description of your dilemma, you should get the socket contacts resoldered/retouched a bit. Just show the person where exactly you need the resoldering ( ask them if you can watch them ) done and they might be able to help you for a minimal fee for their time, or free if you are lucky enough.

...Patnik.

Anything else I can do to speed it up?
25% in 2 hours is about right for USB standard 500ma. The USB port on the Pandora CAN handle up to 2 amps (same as the AC charger) but you need a dedicated charger (like the Blackberry charger you mentioned, but any AC->USB adapter should work) in order to get that much. Your desktop may be able to coax a little bit more out if you put one of the SD cards into Mass Storage mode, make it think there's a hard drive attached that needs more power, but I wouldn't count on it. There's also Y splitters that sometimes come with external hard drives that let the drive plug into two (or more) USB ports at once so it can double the amount of current it can consume, you may be able to try one of those.But ultimately the AC->USB charger is going to be your best bet.

found a 2amp charger (original nexus 7 one) which charges it at an acceptable level - so will stick with that

Back