New Fan Interested In Acquiring A Gp2x

Stefanau

Still Fresh
Hi everyone !
I'm Stefano and I'm new to this forum :)

I have recently heard about this console, and after having searched for almost an hour I still have some questions that I would like to be answered :D.

1) Will some other consoles like N64 be able to be emulated in this gp2x? or is the PSOne the maximum this is going to get.

2) Is the hardware upgradable? like can we change the CPU or if the screen gets shattered is it replacable?

3) is gpx2.co.uk the best place to buy one?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Stefanau said:
Hi everyone !

I have recently heard about this console, and after having searched for almost an hour I still have some questions that I would like to be answered :D .
1) Will some other consoles like N64 be able to be emulated in this gp2x? or is the PSOne the maximum this is going to get.

2) Is the hardware upgradable? like can we change the CPU or if the screen gets shattered is it replacable?

Hey.

1) The current list of non-emulatable (subject to possible change) consoles is: N64, PS2, Saturn, GC, NGage, Dreamcast, there are probably others I've forgotten...
2) To a degree, yes, the screen for example is replacable, but the cpu isn't as far as I know.
3) It depends on your location, for example if you live in the UK, gp2x.co.uk is probably the best, but if you reside in the US, gp2xshop.com is best, and anywhere else, you'd be best getting it from gp2x.de

Overall, welcome, I hope you stay, I always love new members with good spelling and grammar.
Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

-Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Stefanau said:
Hi everyone !

Maybe the PSOne will be the maximum... sometime! ;)
there are a lot of emus and ports or native games that show the power of this handheld. Take a look at the download section. Maybe the available software makes your decision more easy.
... and do not forget the super community!! :D

Nova said:
Hey.

1) The current list of non-emulatable (subject to possible change) consoles is: N64, PS2, Saturn, GC, NGage, Dreamcast, there are probably others I've forgotten...
2) To a degree, yes, the screen for example is replacable, but the cpu isn't as far as I know.
3) It depends on your location, for example if you live in the UK, gp2x.co.uk is probably the best, but if you reside in the US, gp2xshop.com is best, and anywhere else, you'd be best getting it from gp2x.de
Overall, welcome, I hope you stay, I always love new members with good spelling and grammar.
Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

-Paul

Thanks a lot Paul for you quick answers and for the welcome :).
This sounds like a great console, I am definitely getting one as soon as possible hehe.

By the way, I have some other questions I hope you don't mind :p:

1) is it difficult to use it without any knowledge in coding or Linux (all I know is some basic html:p)?
2) are there any customizations made for it? like custom cases?

No need to know any scripting, really. It can be useful if you want to fiddle with where programs run from (though most aren't too fussy), or for stupid advanced stuff, but I've not needed to know much, really.

Also, just clarify, PSone is *not* (for the most part) ready yet... there's quite a library of 2d games that run fast enough, I'm told (there's actually a vid on youtube of puzzle bobble 2 or 4 or something running very fast indeed), but the 3d things the PSx is famous for typically run at (if you're lucky) around half speed. Whilst we're all hoping this'll change sooner or later, that's the state of play at the moment, just in case you'd be buying this specifically for Playstation emulation.

Other systems, though, are fantastic. Genesis, SNES, and GBA are all a great deal of fun, let alone NeoGeo and CPS2, and a LOT more.

Stefanau said:
Hi everyone !

I have recently heard about this console, and after having searched for almost an hour I still have some questions that I would like to be answered :D.

1) N64 will propably never be emulated in any way. It has more advanced graphics than PSX, N64 is 100MHz while PSX is 33MHz.

2) Already answered

3) I got mine from http://www.play-asia.com . Play-asia is definitely (afaik) the cheapest place you can get GP2X and accessories. I got mine from there, cost only 114 euros (crazy week), costs normally ~140 euros for the Value Pack.

Thanks Mika I'll try that site ;)

btw does play asia sells the latest release??

Also Stefanau, I'd check the marketplace section (Right at the bottom of the forum index) for a good bargain. I bought mine off another gp32x user who'd used his gp2x very little and it was like new.

Cost me $100 (£50, 73 Euro)

is it possible to emulate the GP2X with windows? If yes what should I download to do so?

you want to emulate a linux based handheld that emulates other systems? :p

what would you want to emulate about the gp2x? all emulators also have a pc version as far as I know. the GPE and GPU files, well, I wouldn't know. In fact, thats pretty interesting ;D

You won't be disappointed: all 8-bit computers work well (and 16-bit ones too, like Atari ST and Amiga), as do all the fun consoles from SMS to Genesis to SNES. Arcade is great too, with MAME for the oldies and NeoGeo and CPS2 for the newer, more colourful stuff. Not to mention all the fantastic free original games, and the few but very fun commercial games.

You'll have a blast :)

This is such an exciting handheld, you can't go wrong with it if you're into emulation/homebrew. You're limited only by the size of your SD card in terms of how much gaming goodness you can truck around with you. The emulators are continuing to improve (many are full speed) for everything up to and including the 16 bit consoles. Add to that the multiple arcade emulators and the emulation of MS-DOS games (many of which run very well so far, and they will continue to get better as updates come through), ports of some popular PC games (older titles like Doom, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D and others), emulation of most handhelds aside from the DS and PSP, AS WELL AS the GP2X-original games (including clones of popular games that either have not yet been ported or just aren't able to be), music (MP3, OGG, WMA(I think?)), Divx/Xvid movies and the inevitable addition of support for other media formats (I'd say container format will come as well, although OGM is already supported), and you begin to see that the GP2X is one heck of a package.

The best part is you've got an awesome community that continues to grow minus the idiots (mostly), so there are always several talented people working on expanding the functionality of the machine and adding new/better emulators/homebrew/software. In short, BUY IT NOW!!! And if you have any other questions, ask away. :)

Stefanau said:
It was just to try it before buying it :p
Nice idea, but I'm afraid there's not one at the moment (although I believe a long while back, Squidge was working on something, but afaik it couldn't do much more than load linux - impressive, but not much use as try before you buy).

Also, bear in mind that emulating stuff on an emulator is not usually a good idea. I remember when I first got my GP32, I felt exactly the same way, except I only discovered there was an emu for it after I'd ordered it. So order, throw stuff on the emu, and then dispair - the things everyone said were full speed clearly weren't (about 1/3 speed, iirc)! Except, of course, I was running an emulator on an emulator, which kills performance at the best of times.

So even if there was, the chances are it would be very unreliable for knowing what you were getting yourself into emu-speed wise. Other games? It might be useful for, but emus, no.

Have a look on gp2x.co.uk for some videos of emulators running.
Also youtube has a wealth of gp2x related vids.
Note many are of beta versions of emulators that have since been improved.
BTW, welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the welcomes and the answers guys :)
I watched a lot of videos, I think I fell in love hahaha

Back