A Prototype Gp2x

mdinire

It looked white to me but I guess I was wrong.. or maybe this is a different prototype :blink:

b0052448_13243490.jpg

Anyways it looks real nice.. I might have to mod mine like this when I get it......... B)

EDIT: woops didnt see this page: http://newbie.gp32x.de/gpx2/faq.htm

What colors will it be available in?
At launch, the only available color will be black. GPH is currently exploring other color choices (they have shown off a silver model), but nothing is decided. However, it should be known they are interested in releasing more colors.

Ive been considering modding mine as well as the current material gets finger marks (oily) and light scratches (visible when you tilt it in the light) really easily. What kind of paints are there that would give the same sort of finish the DS Lite has? Is it enamel paint?? Im not clued up on these things...

I think the guy who made the striped mod used car paint, which is actually a good idea. Once car paint sticks, it sticks like holy hell, and is probably harder to scratch than other types of paint. Just make sure you use many very thin layers rather than two thick ones, as car paint (from my experience with relatively cheap cans) tends to run quickly if it gets too thick.

Also, I suppose it might be a good idea to lay a base of colour first, the kind that's made to make the new colour stick better. Grounding, I think you call it.

Ouch !

I was considering buying an MK2 for the better screen (so that I could give my MK1 to a friend), and finally thought that my MK1 was good enough.

But if they ever release that Silver GP2X, I would definitly buy a new one !

Its not a prototype. All the prototypes have GPX2 printed on them instead of GP2X.

Gamepark said they were exploring other color choices with the GP32, but nothing ever happend. I think their deal with Mitsui fell out.

Anyway, I don't really like the idea of color choices, it would be cooler if you could get skins/faceplates? instead.

greenmikey posted on Aug 1 2006 at 08:09 PM said:
I think that gph said that they were releasing the white one next. I have no clue where I got this notion.

From here im guessing http://www.derekscholte.nl/GP2XForum/viewtopic.php?p=2070

"Thank you for your interest o our product.
The exact release date of white version of gp2x has not been decided yet.
However we think it will be soon. "

:eek: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to tell the difference between a "matte" aluminium finish and a plastic finish made to look like one unless you're seeing it in real life and up close. Often, I even have to hold the thing (whatever it is) to tell the difference. usually, I can tell by the price, though. I work in a photo store, so I see a lot of both alu and plastic casings. I rarely see a new camera for under 300 euros with an actual metal casing, so I'm going to go out on limb here and say that it's definitely plastic with a metallic finish.

Magnulus posted on Aug 1 2006 at 02:32 PM said:
It's hard to tell the difference between a "matte" aluminium finish and a plastic finish made to look like one unless you're seeing it in real life and up close. Often, I even have to hold the thing (whatever it is) to tell the difference. usually, I can tell by the price, though. I work in a photo store, so I see a lot of both alu and plastic casings. I rarely see a new camera for under 300 euros with an actual metal casing, so I'm going to go out on limb here and say that it's definitely plastic with a metallic finish.
Wow, I got a 8.2MP digital camera with metal casing for less than 200 American. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope they didn't skimp on anything else to add that aluminium casing and the megapixels. ^_^

PS: Oh man, I see so many cameras with lots of megapixels, but no more detail than a four-MP camera. Be very very aware of that kind of thing. Even expensive pocket digitals tend to not use all their megapixels once they pass 6. Unless you're a pro, you need no more than 6 MPs. Just a little wink and a nod (they're both just as good to a blind bat, eh?).

PS: Oh man, I see so many cameras with lots of megapixels, but no more detail than a four-MP camera. Be very very aware of that kind of thing. Even expensive pocket digitals tend to not use all their megapixels once they pass 6. Unless you're a pro, you need no more than 6 MPs. Just a little wink and a nod (they're both just as good to a blind bat, eh?).

Everybody should own a gigapixel camera! If I had the money for that :rolleyes:

Megapixel ratings mean very little past 3 or 4 MP, it just needlessly increases resolution so you have an image that is the size of your wall, that you won't be viewing at such size anyway. At 1 MP and below you had to scale it up to make it a decent viewable size which destroyed quality. I have 2 and 4 MP Nikon cameras that look enormously better than my 4.5 MP Kodak one just due to a far superior lens...

Sorry about continuing this off-topicisim. I promise this is my last post in this thread about digicams.
Actually, it does make sense to go up to 6 MPs, as photo labs print in 300 dpi, which means that at 6 MPs, you'd get a near full-res image in 20x30 cms (8x12 inch). Now, this is the last size up that would ever really need to be 300 dpi, since anything above that, and you'd be seeing the image from further away, anyway.
Only real use for most people at more than 6 MPs is in case they framed it badly, leaving too much room around the motif, which is a very very common occurance. The more MP, the more you can crop the image without losing quality.

How about that silver GP2X, eh?

Back