New Gp2x F-200

I personally think with GPH it`s a case of too little too late. Especially since we have been waiting for an improved joystick (D-pad) for nearly two years, And then they only seem to bother now, Probably because of all the talk on here about a possible community driven replacement of the GP2x. Though it only seems a half hearted attempt, Mainly a touch screen and a d-pad, With nothing more to add, No faster cpu, No official support for SDHC, No better graphics sub-system, No proper usb-host support WITH usb 2.0, etc etc, The list goes on.

That, And the fact that this will only serve to dilute the community. I will be buying both (GP2x F-200 and the GP3x), But only because the two GP2x`s i have had, Have been totally dire in the stick department, And this (the F-200) will be replacing the GP2x i still have (As this is what the GP2x should have been in the first place), And my current GP2x will be confined to the bin/trash.

The GP3x (once released) will be my pimping handheld, And main handheld of choice.

Trooper

I guess were now going to get apps that are f200 only :( Ive owned my f100 for only 3 months.

Ill pass and wait for a gp3x or whatever the faster model will be called.

Or give into sony and buy a psp :(

tristar said:
I guess were now going to get apps that are f200 only :( Ive owned my f100 for only 3 months.

Ill pass and wait for a gp3x or whatever the faster model will be called.

Or give into sony and buy a psp :(
Don't give into Sony. Just wait a bit for this new handheld Craigix has been talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this gp3x i keep hearing about ? Isn't this vapourware or dreamware ? I did not find any serious topic on it, nor pictures of it, only various listings of what it should do and look like :huh:

Looks cool. If I didn't already have a GP2X I would probably buy it. But for a F100 owner it offers way too little to be worth paying another $200+. I hope Craigix & Co will still make their own device... because I'm saving my money for that.

According to the specifications and photos in PlayAsia, it seems the changes are only the D-Pad and the Touch Screen (maybe i'm wrong but i read time ago the GP2X F-100 screen had touch-screen capability, but the circuity was not used...). Nothing more seems to be changed (batteries, size, etc).

...and looking at the d-pad I'm thinking that diagonals might still be a pain ;)

Buying this new model is worth the pain for the d-pad itself, not mentioning the touch screen, especially for those like me who own a poor old gp2x whose stick starts to be more and more difficult to use correctly and whose batteries last no more than 30 minutes because of poor soldering :p

Eolair said:
...and looking at the d-pad I'm thinking that diagonals might still be a pain ;)
If you're not able to push such two buttons together at the same moment, considering how flat and close they are, then you must have a problem with your thumb

This would be a future upgrade for me. My questions is does the cradle work, power cables, tv-out, ect... work with F-200?

Also, are the CPU's able to be clocked higher?

If only the only changes are touchscreen and dpad then everyone can co-develop for both platforms extremely easy!

Fueler said:
If only the only changes are touchscreen and dpad then everyone can co-develop for both platforms extremely easy!
Even though these are very different input methods from the current joystick?

If they are going to go to the effort of realising something (which seems to be doomed to fail to me), they'd better at least have wired up the extra 8 pins to let the screen handle 24-bit colour, stopped the thing resetting when you connect an AC adapter (and preferably moving the socket altogether to the bottom or something) and added a hardware volume dial/backlight control.

trooper said:
I personally think with GPH it`s a case of too little too late. Especially since we have been waiting for an improved joystick (D-pad) for nearly two years, And then they only seem to bother now, Probably because of all the talk on here about a possible community driven replacement of the GP2x. Though it only seems a half hearted attempt, Mainly a touch screen and a d-pad, With nothing more to add, No faster cpu, No official support for SDHC, No better graphics sub-system, No proper usb-host support WITH usb 2.0, etc etc, The list goes on.

That, And the fact that this will only serve to dilute the community. I will be buying both (GP2x F-200 and the GP3x), But only because the two GP2x`s i have had, Have been totally dire in the stick department, And this (the F-200) will be replacing the GP2x i still have (As this is what the GP2x should have been in the first place), And my current GP2x will be confined to the bin/trash.

The GP3x (once released) will be my pimping handheld, And main handheld of choice.

Trooper
you are a bit strict. this is a small company that cannot afford to launch a new product each time something turned out to be not optimal. they have to produce big amounts in order to run the business profitable

Deed said:
Buying this new model is worth the pain for the d-pad itself, not mentioning the touch screen, especially for those like me who own a poor old gp2x whose stick starts to be more and more difficult to use correctly and whose batteries last no more than 30 minutes because of poor soldering :p

Eolair said:
If you're not able to push such two buttons together at the same moment, considering how flat and close they are, then you must have a problem with your thumb

If that "d-pad" is in fact four seperate buttons of the same "spongy" type as the A, Y, B, X buttons on the F100 then it might not be so easy. I guess we will have to wait and see. Maybe GPH actually played tested their design this time :p

Edit: typos

Eolair said:
I can't see it being that bad at all, It seem's one of the better d-pads out there.

Looks a lot easier to hit diagonals than the Nes d-pad,

Nes-Dpad.gif

And the ps2 d-pad

ps2_dpad1.gif

As there is a physical diagonal area on that d-pad to push, Whereas on the ps2, Nes and others like them, There isn`t.

Trooper

chaos engineer said:
trooper said:

Trooper
you are a bit strict. this is a small company that cannot afford to launch a new product each time something turned out to be not optimal. they have to produce big amounts in order to run the business profitable

I own a GP32 (well 3 in fact) , Though not strickly GPH (though part of GPH were there), GamePark got it done (the d-pad/stick) a hell of a lot better on the GP32 than GPH done on the GP2x. GPH did do a revised d-pad (rotated 90 degrees to lessen the diagonal bias), But even that was only a half hearted attempt.

Trooper

This is what the 2X should have been like. Not sure If I'm interested. If I can come up with enough money, probably, to play my 2X games...

OMG OMG...

Talking about back compatibility :
where did they miss the middle click button in the D-PAD?

well...
i think it's rather good news ^_-

/me reviveing Plusha ASAP... j/k

Orkie said:
Fueler said:
Even though these are very different input methods from the current joystick?

If they are going to go to the effort of realising something (which seems to be doomed to fail to me), they'd better at least have wired up the extra 8 pins to let the screen handle 24-bit colour, stopped the thing resetting when you connect an AC adapter (and preferably moving the socket altogether to the bottom or something) and added a hardware volume dial/backlight control.

I'm inclined to agree, it seems like too little, too late. At a minimum, I hope that the GP2X retailers will be able to sell the d-pad as spare parts for modding mk1's and mk2's, but there's not enough here for me to justify rebuying this and I think a lot of other people will feel the same.

Back