New Gp2x F-200

@orkie: any chance of open2x supporting the touch screen cos that would be awesome

i was going to to a dpad mod on my 2x soon but i dont think ill bother now :)

EDIT: and i've wanted to paint my 2x white for a long time now, but GPH have done it for me :D

This might be good news...

I think I'll wait for the community feedback before jumping into the bandwagon.

If Gmenu2x gets TS support, the D-pad is good and the screen is better, I think I might buy it.

Btw, PTGamers (the leading Portuguese Gaming website) has also announced the F200 (http://classicos.ptgamers.com/noticia.asp?id_noticia=76).

norm said:
@Orkie: any chance of open2x supporting the touch screen cos that would be awesome
Sure, there's the touch screen driver in the kernel tree already :).

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I assume this F-200 thing is real after all? (And they are going to put Cave Story on it. :))
That means that the F-100 can't play touchscreen-enabled games. Or that we (the programmers) have to make touchscreen usage optional. I'm not entirely convinced. Wouldn't it be better to make a new console (better CPU, more RAM, SDHCI, etc.) and leave the GP2X unchanged?

Anyway, if the F-200 proves to be good I'm thinking of getting one. Think about ScummVM with touchscreen.

Hope they don't change the kernel or the libs, because then the pre-compiled kernel modules (cramfs, USB), or even executables won't work, means that many of the old games would need an update and be split into two versions.

Simon Parzer said:
So, I assume this F-200 thing is real after all? (And they are going to put Cave Story on it. :))
That means that the F-100 can't play touchscreen-enabled games. Or that we (the programmers) have to make touchscreen usage optional. I'm not entirely convinced. Wouldn't it be better to make a new console (better CPU, more RAM, SDHCI, etc.) and leave the GP2X unchanged?

Anyway, if the F-200 proves to be good I'm thinking of getting one. Think about ScummVM with touchscreen.

Hope they don't change the kernel or the libs, because then the pre-compiled kernel modules (cramfs, USB), or even executables won't work, means that many of the old games would need an update and be split into two versions.
You could always have it support both the pad like now and the TS. Users of older units can use the old scheme, if you have the TS you can use that as well.

As far as a new console goes that would take alot more work. Think of this as a GP2X MK3 not a new console. I do wish it had SDHC support but Open2X or a FW patch can fix that. If you want a new more powerful console that is what Craig's will be.

i think this new f200 will have multiplayer support :]
this was really really smart of gph releasing this :]
i dont like though how there taking peoples games and packagaing them(unless there telling them about it before they bundle it and asked them for their permission)
blood cross looks amazing (was this a gp32 game or something or a game for the gp2x that never was completed?)

Cool another gadget to buy, or since my birthday is in October another gadget for somebody else to buy me. :)

As for the new features, I think that GPH have been reading the our new machine thread. :)

I don't see the touch screen fracturing the community in any way. it will just be a nice addition for those who buy the new unit and want to use it.

I think that this is a pretty good way to do a hardware revision without abandoning the old hardware. Plus they waited a long enough time from the original gp2x release to really add something new with the touch screen.

I'm not really looking for a completely new console and love the gp2x so this is really good news as far as im concerned. should boost gp2x sales, extend the life of the gp2x and give something new for gp2x devs to play with, without having to work on something completely new.

I've loved my gp2x since I got it and hope to see continued development for it for some time.

also any idea what is included with this new version considering it was originally supposed to be in the value pack?

Not much of an upgrade if you ask me... the touchpad is ok... (like the psp) and I expect that some people will have troubles with the diagonals.. the touchscreen is a nice addition and will open up a few more applications for the device such as note taking programs etc... but in reality I already have all this functionality on my PDA. At most this is an incremental upgrade, the multi-tasking is nice... but will draw cpu cycles so I am not sure how much of an advantage that is going to be... But I assume... (and I could be wrong) that this capability will be included on the next firmware for the existing unit.

So what are you getting... it seems a suspect touchpad... and a touchscreen... not enough for me to change devices... to me its more like getting a few options for a new model car... it in no way feels like a completely new design.

If you are a new user you now have the option of either design... thats about it. At this point I see no reason to get excited about unit... I am happy with what I have thanks...

Ripster, I think it is aimed more at people who don't have a GP2X than people who already have one. So the "upgrade" comments are a bit pointless.

I put off getting a GP2X for ages as it didn't have a dpad. So people like me will be more inclined to get the F200.

DaveC said:
I do wish it had SDHC support but Open2X or a FW patch can fix that.

Yes, I'll get a version of Open2x out for this after the GP2X version is done (we are getting ever closer, hopefully a public release will be out by the time this thing is released) assuming I can actually afford one :S.

predatorramboxxx said:
i think this new f200 will have multiplayer support :]
And why do you think this?

Interesting update, but I don't know if I'll buy it. I have a DaveC DPad Mod, and the only issue my gp2x have is the battery life (I can barely get 2hours under normal condition...). If there is some cool homebrew that make use of the touchscreen, maybe I'll buy it, who knows...

I wonder how they mapped the 9 buttons of the original stick to the 4 on this one. Knowing GPH, they've completely screwed it up, and a lot of games become unplayable.

OMG I freakin hate this, I just bought a GP2X off of eBay with loads of accesories, and now I see this. The world is a terrible place...

No. Would be nice if if they let the featured devs have a free unit at least since they're using our games to promote it (one of those featured devs being me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ) though I won't hold my breath.

Man, that sucks.
One would at least expect GPH to have the courtesy to ask the devs.
Or send you a freebee, or donate some cash. That's just a matter of respect.

Squidge said:
I wonder how they mapped the 9 buttons of the original stick to the 4 on this one. Knowing GPH, they've completely screwed it up, and a lot of games become unplayable.
That's my biggest fear actually. I'm sure I'll have to adapt my stick/pad handling code for that new machine...

tridion said:
Ripster, I think it is aimed more at people who don't have a GP2X than people who already have one. So the "upgrade" comments are a bit pointless.

I put off getting a GP2X for ages as it didn't have a dpad. So people like me will be more inclined to get the F200.

I think that is pretty much what I said in the last line of my post...

Back