New Gp2x F-200

starpause said:
DisgruntleElf said:
The touchscreen ability will give it the versatility of a PDA. Looks like my Zodiac's gonna get shelved.
unless they've also included a real time clock, the PDA functionality is going to be quite limited!

True. Any alarm feature or application that would require day time stamping can be ruled out. The touchscreen would make a daily schedule, contacts, calculator, and finally a good set of solitare games easy to use and very welcome. Still only one extra capacitor would be needed for a real time clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy about the new gp2x, I'm going to get the new one, and install my old one as a media player for my 1974 260z. Install a usb hub, and SD slot, and maybe a small hard drive, all under the dash with a nice video diplay built into the dash. All I need to do figure out that to use as a controller.

http://www.screaminsgs.com/images/260Z.JPG

They guys at the car club will think it's sick, NES, films, Music, all in a hot rod.

DisgruntleElf said:
Still only one extra capacitor would be needed for a real time clock.
Assuming of course the gp2x already has an appropriate crystal for that function (32.768Khz).

I can see them coming already...

"Help! Touch screen going crazy!"
"Up button no longer working"
"Firmware locks up after 1-2 minutes of use."
"Annoying high pitched sound coming from screen"
"No stylus slot! How could GPH be so stupid!?"
"ATTENTION! GP2X F-100 PROGRAMS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH F-200!"

I dont understand whats up with you people, DS owners complained about the size of DS phat & their prayers were answered. PSP owners complained about ram and no TV functionality & their prayers were answered.

You and including myself complained about the commercial bob release, white GP2X, & the joystick problem. The touchscreen is a plus IMO. GPH & their short budget has answered some partial prayer. Cmon man give em some credit, atleast their still going foward.

Cervante said:
I dont understand whats up with you people, DS owners complained about the size of DS phat & their prayers were answered. PSP owners complained about ram and no TV functionality & their prayers were answered.

You and including myself complained about the commercial bob release, white GP2X, & the joystick problem. The touchscreen is a plus IMO. GPH & their short budget has answered some partial prayer. Cmon man give em some credit, atleast their still going foward.
Yes.

Yeah, I think GPh have been doing a pretty good job for having such a short budget but I'm not one of those people who wanted a white one really badly, so I'll probably not be getting a F-200. The good thing for me from all of this is that the F-100's price might lower :)

But if people like this new device, I might get it. I just hope Play-Asia dosen't decide to stop selling the old F-100s once this new one comes in.

I'm super keen, but an internal clock would be good.

Either way, I thought the homebrew scene would be a little more embracing for a new functionality.

And yeah, compatibility wise...I hope many programs work without hassle on this new machine.

Somebody please point me to a link/post on the graigolator/GP3X.
There has been a lot of mysterious mention of this device.
Is it based on the community 'Ninja' some years back?
Is Graigx developing/building it, or is it GPH, or another company?

So, any word on backwards compatibility? Is it theoretically supposed to be fully backwards compatible?

PSyMastR said:
So, any word on backwards compatibility? Is it theoretically supposed to be fully backwards compatible?
It's the same hardware. I couldn't imagine how it could break compatability.

Screen will be different.

I'll probably get this. This looks like the console I was hoping for 2 years ago. I hope they finally release the "panda edition" case this time, rather then just white.

It's kinda disturbing, I mean I like the idea. My 2X had gone into disuse because I needed a new stick cap and I'd fallen way behind on FW upgradeing I wasnt looking foward to getting back up to speed at all. So a new system is a mixed blessing. I'd really like to get the games that are offered in the valuepack but the new version seems to be offereing different games.

All this talk about the "3X" is confusing Maybe I'll take some more time off again and go wait for the upgraded PSP, I was planning on turning my old PSP into a PS1 emmulator and replacing it with the slim for regular PSP games, and Now this comes a long an throws a wrench into my funding plans I need some time and a clearer understanding of all this.

...I suppose the stick click could be mapped to the touch screen if it's not already being used in certain apps.

LOL: the games in the valuepack is homebrew, and you can download them off the archive. (payback is a demo)

torpor said:
I just got an OpenMoko NEO1973 cell phone .. in my opinion, the GP2X has gotta start competing with this toy or its going to be all over. As it is the NEO1973 is pretty close to being ideal, albeit for the fact that it doesn't have game controls onboard - not a problem, as USB Host and Device is pretty well supported on the NEO1973, and there are already people designing joystick clipon accessories for it ..

Sure will be an interesting year for Open Source based hardware projects, anyway.
Yeah, I was all set to buy a NEO1973 until I read about the new GP2X. I wasn't so sure if I'd still get the Neo this morning, but now I think I still want it. Between it and my Wii I have everything I was going to buy my GP2X for and more. I'll have to see what the GP3X can provide me.

On an unrelated note, how does your NEO1973 handle? I'll probably be buying the end-user release sometime this October.

P-J said:
Simon Parzer said:
This is not funny. No, seriously, it's not. I mean, if it was April 1st or something, but simply out of the blue.. you are a jerk.
tridion said:
Fake photoshop jobbie and not even a particularly good one. Nice try though.
Bet you guys feel stupid now, don't you?

No not really because my "photoshop" comments are still completely valid. That is a photoshop knockup without doubt because the perspective is all wrong for it to be a photo of a genuine new model.

So the new model is true, but that is still an artist's impression of it for sure.

October this year or next year :huh: . So will this support all current apps. If this is fully compatibile with the BOB cradle I will wait a month.

pea said:
Somebody please point me to a link/post on the graigolator/GP3X.
There has been a lot of mysterious mention of this device.
Is it based on the community 'Ninja' some years back?
Is Graigx developing/building it, or is it GPH, or another company?
Here you go sir:
The first 101 pages thread:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...044&st=1200
The current thread (30 pages to this moment):
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...=41&t=38155

Hope that solves the mystery:)

How much more do you guys think it will cost?

EDIT- Im not going to bother getting it. I already have a DS with a SCDS and a EZF4 which has all the touchscreen homebrew I need. Hopefully there is a price drop on the F-100

JaqMs said:
I can see them coming already...

"Help! Touch screen going crazy!"
"Up button no longer working"
"Firmware locks up after 1-2 minutes of use."
"Annoying high pitched sound coming from screen"
"No stylus slot! How could GPH be so stupid!?"
"ATTENTION! GP2X F-100 PROGRAMS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH F-200!"
LOL! I don't think it will be quite so bad. They have likely learned a lot from the feedback on the MK1/2. I would hope that the simple design flaws in MK1/2 are addressed in this version.

I think they need an 8 button controller, ie. proper disc type, 4 seperate buttons is likely going to end up being worse for diagonals than the MK2 imo...

Battery life, this could be improved just by adding a Li-Ion battery pack, which would be able to provide more mAh if designed correctly, and allow them to make more sales from battery packs. Who knows, maybe newer IC revisions on this version will give us a % of better battery life anyway, although surely the controller related to touchscreen support is got to eat some juice?

If they are going the trouble of adding touch screen, they should add RTC support, with something like a small NiCad backup battery, or maybe CR2032 would be better to allow easy replacement - and it's way smaller.

Back