New Gp2x Mk2 Review.

TelcoLou posted on May 3 2006 at 04:49 AM said:
DaveC's cap > GPH's cap

(In my opinion, that is ;))
Did you test both caps ? I don't mind if it's super nylatron or not, but i would like to know which is better for gaming, or if they are stricly identical from a gamer point of view

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you got an approximate date for when you should receive the Mk II's, Craig? Is there quite a backlog of orders?

Actually, forget those questions. I'll be selfish. I put an order in last week, when am I likely to receive MY Gp2x?? :D

bacteria posted on May 3 2006 at 07:30 AM said:
So far we have had an improved transister to remove scanlines
Improved transistor? didnt read anything about that! got a link? wich one is it? what do you ahve to replace it with?

Well, I sent my flickering unit to ED to be fixed. He switched a transistor, and it flickers no more, being a bit too bright, though. Hoping for a gamma-correction feature... 2.0 got rid of the slight scanlines I had.

no, he changed a resistor, but thats only for flickering/brightnes, dosnt have anything to do with "scanlines".

Jarska333 posted on May 3 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
...Hoping for a gamma-correction feature...
The new Lcd/Cpu tweaker does gamma correction and it's a pretty nice feature.

The GP2X has rejected 266mhz cpu's in it, after some lengthy experiments and a poll on here the guaranteed speed of them seems to be 240mhz.

Gamepark clocks it down to 100mhz in the menu and to 200mhz on running an app.

However most units can do 250-266mhz without issue. Infact a lot of you can reach speeds higher than that.

The new unit contains the same chipset.

The new joystick is better, but i've had daveC's cap for a long time now and that cleared up most of the problems for me. I should imagine the rotated version does solve the diagonal bias even if you use the old cap however.

MK2 = bad news, at least from my point of view.

virusx posted on May 3 2006 at 12:11 PM said:

And it almost gets rid of scanlines, but not completely. After hearing GPH saying that they weren't fixable through firmware I got VERY disappointed. So any research done on how to solve this is welcome.

Segata Sanshiro posted on May 3 2006 at 04:33 PM said:
MK2 = bad news, at least from my point of view.

virusx posted on May 3 2006 at 12:11 PM said:

And it almost gets rid of scanlines, but not completely. After hearing GPH saying that they weren't fixable through firmware I got VERY disappointed. So any research done on how to solve this is welcome.

Don't worry - you will see that people will be complaining because of the new lcd but for different reason perhaps? :p

(we already know that isn't as sharp as the previous one)

Is it possible to find a list of all the LCD's that will be compatible with the control board inside the GP2X, then maby a more expensive option is to buy a higher quality LCD and fit it yourself

Radek said:
Don't worry - you will see that people will be complaining because of the new lcd but for different reason perhaps?

Heh, I don't usually get happier at someone else's unhappiness, but I know what you mean.

And I already spent 160€ in a GP2X, I can't afford a new lcd :( So that's not an option for me. It's the screen the only thing i don't like, after getting used to the stick.

craigix posted on May 3 2006 at 07:57 AM said:
However most units can do 250-266mhz without issue. Infact a lot of you can reach speeds higher than that.
Mine crashes at 266 :(
My old one used to go up to 274 :(

So any verdict on whether the screen is swappable yet? It's only since reading this thread that I've started to notice the scanlines again

chris_r posted on May 3 2006 at 08:42 PM said:
So any verdict on whether the screen is swappable yet? It's only since reading this thread that I've started to notice the scanlines again

Perhaps it is but at what price you can get one?

(mechanically it's trivial to do as it's using ribbon FPC/FFP connector)

And how you know you would like the new one better? :p

And we still don't know what is causing those scanlines - perhaps it's an encoding chip in GP2x?
(so just changing LCD might not improve that much)

Yod4z posted on May 3 2006 at 09:29 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on May 3 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
Vimacs posted on May 3 2006 at 02:42 PM said:
what about 265? :)
Crashes.
my Gp2x just grow to 260MHz, no more ;)

Mine works at 266MHz as DOCs suggests. :)

Didn't care put it higher as power consumption was going too high. So at 280-300MHz it would be really bad.

MMSP2 at 200MHz isn't that bad imho, pretty solid SoC imho. :)

Back