New Gp2x Review!!! @ Trusted Reviews!!

yeah that site definitely seems to be called trusted reviews for a reason.

one error though is they say it plays wma files. thats the only thing wrong i found and a farily minor thing.

they got most everything right and were nice and fair. mentioned how versatile the machine is yet that the more work you are willing to put into it the more fun you will have with the machine so people know its not a system where you just throw a cartridge or cd in and play.

a lot of reviews seem to get a lot of things wrong. future reviews should use that review as base to get their facts straight.

really the best and most truthful review I have seen yet. I wish all the coverage the gp2x got was more like this review.

Isn't it one CPU with 920 and 940 cores? That isn't dual-core? Or do you mean the way they're connected isn't dual core?

The way they function, under Linux at least, isn't truly dual-core: It doesn't use SMP, it treats the GP2X as a single-core machine

AIUI, if there were two 920Ts it would be dual-core. But because it's a 920 and a 940, despite having two processors, it is NOT a true dual-core machine: Advertising it as such implies functionality it hasn't got.

If you've looked at the MagicEyes diagram, you'll see that even that specifically represents the two ARM processors within a single box that is labelled as being *the* CPU.

oneandoneis2 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 12:54 AM said:
Isn't it one CPU with 920 and 940 cores? That isn't dual-core? Or do you mean the way they're connected isn't dual core?

The way they function, under Linux at least, isn't truly dual-core: It doesn't use SMP, it treats the GP2X as a single-core machine

AIUI, if there were two 920Ts it would be dual-core. But because it's a 920 and a 940, despite having two processors, it is NOT a true dual-core machine: Advertising it as such implies functionality it hasn't got.

If you've looked at the MagicEyes diagram, you'll see that even that specifically represents the two ARM processors within a single box that is labelled as being *the* CPU.
There are 2 ARM9 processing units, IE "dual" ARM9's. I say Dual Core.

You are now just playing at semantics, and I did mention that Linux doesn't run as a dual-core machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Aug 8 2006 at 01:22 PM said:
jbrodack posted on Aug 8 2006 at 12:25 AM said:
one error though is they say it plays wma files. thats the only thing wrong i found and a farily minor thing.

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,1267

It does.

Kinda... you can pick between a buggy fixed point decoder or a floating point one that doesn't reach full-speed, but now that it's there, I bet a good coder could improve it.

BradN posted on Aug 8 2006 at 08:25 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Aug 8 2006 at 01:22 PM said:
jbrodack posted on Aug 8 2006 at 12:25 AM said:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,1267

It does.

Kinda... you can pick between a buggy fixed point decoder or a floating point one that doesn't reach full-speed, but now that it's there, I bet a good coder could improve it.
Actually, it's been there for ages :)

oh guess i forgot about that app. but wma support isn't a big deal either way. also from reading the article it sounds like wma support is standard. if they wanted to include all audio file types playable they would have to include a bunch of other formats especially mod files and game music file types that are playable with players like oldplay.

anyway since saying the gp2x has wma support isn't technically wrong they pretty much wrote a more accurate review than anyone else has and now i can't even find any errors in it.

Cheers for the comments guys! (randomly found this post while hunting around on Google..).

In my defense, those aren't my hands! That's our photographers. I hate it when he uses his hands in the photos, makes people assume I'm old! I'm only 22...

My Editor didn't quite see the point of the device, but I *hope* I managed to catch it in the right light. I just wish I had something like this to fiddle with like this when I was 12 and has more time on my hands!

Back