New Gp32 Fanzine In Production

The Mole posted on Feb 23 2004 at 09:38 PM said:
I would like to see some PC Engine games reviewed, i never know what to download.
GAH! I COVERED THIS! *clams down* GPZ Issue 2 I think, all the best PC Engine games are covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark posted on Feb 23 2004 at 05:58 PM said:
A) You don't need to be, opinion is more important. Besides GPZ undergoes only a tiny spelling check. Due to the general collapse of our team Issue 3 has about 100 times as many spelling errors as 1 & 2. And even though Zimba said he'd fix it, I believe it still contains the same intro paragraphs as issue 2 does.

B) Get an artist or rip random images from the web like we did. Although Bobson did an excellent job with the covers, the comic and misc. images on the zine, and Zimba is pretty nifty with Adobe InDesign, the presentation comes second place to the content which I'm sure you'll produce.

C) Ah, the stinger. I have those too, but probably not as hectic as yours, and I find the biggest problem is not being -bothered- to do stuff. I'd rather mess around than actually do some work on the zine or on a game or something (but I do try). Since you have the enthusiasm, I don't think it should be too much of a problem, just try to release -something- semi-regularly at least, or people start wondering where you are (ahem).

As for the 'say whatever you want', we were afforded that freedom partially - I have always been honest with my commercial games which means low scores generally, but obviously we couldn't do articles on what shop to buy your GP32 from. So you do have more freedom, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I doubt there will be much in the way of new GP32Zine issues, but thanks for the compliments, I don't expect you to compete. There's certainly room for more zines like there's more room for websites: GP32x, Emu, News, World, US and more all co-exist (fairly) peacefully.

And finally good luck, I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the response, people. Thanks for the points Rico, and I can see the honesty in your fanzine shine through. The GP32 Community really does need honestly, especially when reviewing commercial games-like you say, many are simply not good.

One thing that worries me is that people will not like the approach. It is a wide open magazine, covering all aspects of the GP32-which includes Commercial Games, Homebrew, Rom, MP3, Ports, Video and E-Book reviews. It's also very feature led-mainly due to this being what I like to see in magazines.

Oh, and finally, I'd desribe the writing as a non-lifted unique mix of NGC and Edge. Without the high quality of course;)

Ok, I think it might be time to speak out...

BEWARE: This is written completely out of my head, so ignore spelling errors, typos, grammatical flaws bla bla bla..

Oh god, where to start?

First of all, I'd like to explain the state of GP32:zine at this moment, and the reason behind this state. Then, I'm going to go on and talk to you, Mark, on pros and cons. On to it.

GP32:zine was fun. I had a great laugh making it, and it was a complete dream come true. I started it out just like you, one man with a dream of contributing something to the scene. I've only had a GP32 for a month, when I came up with the idea, plus I had close to no experience in doing layout like this. Luckly, through my some of my family doing this type of work, I had access to the programs needed to do this. I was lucky enough to have Rico joining the team shortly after, and he seriously contributed to the success of this magazine. He and I did a huge job on the first issue, and we released as a PDF online some months later. If you ask me, it was our best issue ever, because I had the time to spend weeks on design and other work. I did a lot of it in my summer vaccation, which gave me the time to work on it.
So, we released (rather rushed, packed with typos and spelling errors), and people liked it, it certainly seemed so. That was really cool, to see some achnowledgements from your work. After the release, Axeman joined up, a person whom I later formed a good friendship with, he's a really nice guy. He did a great job on the second issue as well, really great. Around this time, I was contacted by Lik-Sang to see if I was interested in displaying ads on our site, in return of 10% on their site. After a lot of mails back and forth, I had a great sponsorship deal in place, one which seemed perfect at the time. Without going into details, Lik-Sang printed and distributed the magazine, and paid a number of money to us. In return, we had to include a couple of pages of ads in the magazine, and on the site. Sounds like a dream contract, really. And it was.
For a couple of months, we lived like kings on this contract, but after a while, problems came up. My vaccation had ended a while ago, my parents were breaking up, and my life was shit for at least two months. It resulted in the fact that I had almost no time to work on the magazine. Because of this, Rico got understandably impatient. Staff problems came up, Rico threatened to leave and take the website with him several times, but despite these problems, the second issue was released, and printed. That was amazing.
But the problems didn't stop, they grew bigger. And it took us almost three months to get third issue done, something which understandably pissed of Lik-Sang, as they expected one issue every month. And the contract said so as well, so we broke our deal.
When Issue 3 was done, at December 15th, I mailed off to Lik-Sang, but I didn't receive a reply. I thought, this was due to heavy traffic, christmas and whatever, so I waited. I waited until January 10th or so... This had resulted in me getting more and more frustrated, because now Lik-Sang owed me money, and I had a hungering people to satisfy with a new issue. When I finally got a reply from them, they said they didn't want to print the magazine anymore, and that they didn't want to continue the deal. I was shocked, because it kind of pissed me off that I have had to wait for such a long time. As of now the deal is cancelled, but Lik-Sang still owe me money... I hope I will see those money sometime soon, so if anyone from Lik-Sang should be reading this, please contact me as soon as possible.

To rico: Lik-Sangs deal was great. I am sad to see that you are saying to people that they shouldn't host at Lik-Sang, because that's not true. Lik-Sang did a great job, their hosting was great and they were a huge support throughout the entire process. Without them, the magazine wouldn't have made it beyond issue 1. I am also really sad to see that you think I am giving up the magazine because of the fact that I'm not getting any money. This is not true. Well in fact, it is only part right. First of all, I have lost interest of the GP, and I've become interested in other forms of handheld gaming. Also, the amount of activity on the scene, doesn't fill up an entire magazine. Thirdly, I am a student, and I had to use time on personal issues, family, love, work and school. I simply couldn't find the time to work on the magazine, which caused huge delays.

This is turning on to be a huge post, sorry guys.

To Mark: Be sure of what your goals are. You are going to grow tired of doing the magazine all by yourself quickly, so get some staff with you. I'm sorry I can't write more good advices to you right now, I will do so when I get more time. I have already written too much already. I hope you can succeed in getting your magazine up and running, that would be cool. I wish you the best of luck!

One last thing, if you, Rico, or anyone else, are interested in taking over the work one the zine, just contact me, and I can give you the material. I doubt I will get the time and lust to do another issue, but you should never say never again.

If anyone have any questions, contact me at gustav[DOT]lassen[AT]adr[DOT]dk

i will be happy to write and help setup a new zine.. i love writing (check the dungeon and guarder review here on gp32x or scene777 nick on gamefaqs) and i also do page layout professionally.. meaning i have all the software and know-how to produce pro print spec...

and i love gp32 scene! ^_^'
im hosting a pinball dreams comp with proper prizes off my own back, and ive set up a comprehensive list of opensnes9x games that run at playable speed wwith sound for people who dont want to do the research...

i applied for the last fanzine that came around, but obviously that never worked out..

i also have the business skills and contacts in the industry to get real print runs sorted out at friendly prices as well.. (probably, as always you can never count on peoples friendly prices... ;) )

just let me know if you want any help...

now its time for me to say something.
First off, I wasn't apart of the GP32zine staff for long. I only wrote for issue 3. Let me tell you all that I wish I volunteered my time sooner to help Zimba, Rico, and Axeman on the previous issues. Why??
Because these guys are a great bunch of individuals who all desired to be apart of something perhaps greater than any one thing. To come together and produce an outright professional looking zine, IN YOUR FREE TIME. AND..not really get paid for it, is quite amazing.
The hosting and sponsorship Lik-Sang gave to the community and (especially) the Gp32zine was like Zimba said "it was great." And I think he was very lucky to have such an offer.

In terms of loosing your desire to continue with something, such as the GP32zine. It happens. Plus, the worst part of all is that real life gets in the way.
I have been apart of the GP32 Community for just over a year, I know whats its like to loose interest.
(To Zimba),
Also, I know what its like for life to be so overwhelming, you forget what its like to have fun in doing anything and everything. The desire for the Gp32zine to be successful again may (or may not) be your dream in the end. But, it may be someone elses dream. Lets not let the GP32zine simply vanish without a last ride, or last call.
It may be tough for you to gather the strength and time to continue with your once facinating dream, but (as you may have mentioned earlier), let someone finish the dream you started.

(To Rico and Axeman),
Its been very exciting working on the GP32 with both of you. I wish you both knew (including Zimba) how very special this GP32community, and the GP32zine was... (IS)! There may or may not be GP32 related topics to grab the front page of any Game Magazine now days. BUT ...damnit, the GP32zine is where its at.
If the Gp32zine was still going, it doesn't JUST have to be all GP32 related topics.
You all know that. And Rico, if you ever decide to do something with the GP32zine, you know I will be there to help.

(To Mark)
If you have the drive, The ambition, the lasting desire to do something. Do it. And never look back. I back your proposal for a new and different idea for the GP32 community and its members. Good Luck to you, and like many others on this thread have mentioned, if you ever want help, questions..anything. I am sure I can speak for most GP32 memebers when I say "we support your idea." "Your Dream."

There seems to be quite a story surrounding GP32zine....interesting.

I'm unsure what to do about print-runs, I can't see people paying £5 when they could download it and print it for free. Although It would be rather nice to see my work as it was meant to be viewed. Mmmm.

to be honest, now that youve got me thinking, i want a new fanzine and to that end, id practically make one myself if you werent already starting it...

PDF's are the way to go, sure.. theyre so easy to generate and they are about 10k compressed to each meg in real size... you can also embed fonts in em so you can display fonts people dont have on their machine...

but who says it costs £5 to get a return on a print run.. i dont think it would come to that to be honest...

ill get some quotes if youre interested, but the reality of a print run is a ways off anyways, so i wouldnt worry about it right this second..

content, order, style and layout are the things you should be worrying about first...

anyways, id really like to help out if you decide to bring in other people..

if not, id happily give advice...

Hey, this is why I marked it Thread Hijack :) Sorry Mark...

Zimba: sorry, I just got the impression that money was a big factor, but it was perhaps coincidence. Forgive me - you seen more genuine than that. I understand your actions. As for Lik-Sang, I stand by my statements, sure they gave us great support but they also cut it off without warning and slowed us down.

GP32:Zine shouldn't die. Zimba, if you don't mind, I'd like to continue the magazine. With more editors with full access to the zine to keep things running smoothly, issue after issue until the community dies. Although short-lived the Zine was an excellent platform for dozens of inspiring and excellent articles and reviews. If you could send the materials to me, I'd be grateful.

And others - anyone interested in helping out the Zine - writers, reviewers, artists, proof-readers, gaming fans. E-mail me at therico AT blueyonder.co.uk please. The message isn't really important. I'd like Axeman, TJF and everyone already on the team to resend as well to make sure I know who's still with this. Then we can decide on something to get the Zine back off the ground. I won't neccessarily be editor (or at least the only one), but I'd appreciate being the mediator for this operation.

Zimba, there will always be a place for you to hop back on. We've done some great work and you're a fantastic person.

Mark, if the Zine comes back it will be focused on GP32 as always, I don't think we're the Microsoft of the market, crushing over zines into submission :) Good work as before.

Let's make something big.

I am with you Rico. This zine was created by a member of this great community as a dream come true. It should be revived by the community and last as long as possible.
Rico..I sent you an email confirming my participation...lets take the first step.

Thanks for your replies TJF and Rico, I apreciate your backup!

To TJF:
Those were some really beatuiful words, in a Martin Luther King way, really touching to hear after working so long on something. Words like these makes me feel good, and I like that. Thanks for your help, although it was quick, I love every second of it.

To Rico:
Your interest in continuing is great, and I fully support you on the idea. I will wrap up the materials and send them to you in a zip. You are in complete control of course. I may want to write for it once in a while, we can always talk about that some time soon.
Please contact me regarding details.

To Mark:
As Rico said, don't be bothered that there may be two mags now, it will only make things better. Keep on doing your great work, and everything will be fine!

Lol, I'm glad to see the rebirth of the GP32Zine. Especially in my thread.

Kinda like when Nintendo parted ways with Sony, which then made the all powerful PlayStation franchise.

....Maybe :rolleyes:

Back