New Handheld Game Console?

Will you buy a console similar to GP2X but with Vrender 3D Chipset?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

• Only if it's less than $199

• Total voters

fargo

What do you think about making a new handheld game console with Vrender 3D chipset? Not like GPX, but similar to GP2X.

Do you think it will be expensive? Will coders port their codes to it?

I could care less about 3D. If I want that I would just use the PSP or DS. The market is already flooded with 3D handhelds so bah. I would rather the money be used for something else like a faster CPU or a larger 640x480 screen.

Please notice this will be an open-source console, just like GP2X. So, SPS and DS are out!

well, keep in mind that xscale has WAY less prformance per mhz then arm9, you can probably compare a 400mhz xscale to a 200mhz arm.

I don't really care if it's 3D, per se. I just want:

Capable of PSX/SNES emulation
D-Pad or REAL analog stick
Designed as a dedicated game machine (none of this wasting a 2nd CPU for video decoding, otherwise hardly useful junk).

I don't understand why Saturn/N64 emulation is impossible regardless of the power of the Gamepark Holdings device. I was able to emulate the N64 at 60+ fps on my ancient Comp w/ cheesy Celeron processor and integrated graphics 4 years ago before they had amazing emulators. I'm sure that a 400mhz Arm9 w/ dedicated graphics chips could even do the Saturn.

I don't understand why Saturn/N64 emulation is impossible regardless of the power of the Gamepark Holdings device. I was able to emulate the N64 at 60+ fps on my ancient Comp w/ cheesy Celeron processor and integrated graphics 4 years ago before they had amazing emulators. I'm sure that a 400mhz Arm9 w/ dedicated graphics chips could even do the Saturn.

I can't speak for the specs, though I presume the N64 would have the same problems as the SNES emulator, that is, being a very 'expensive' emulator with all the hacks and wierd hardware used. Even if that was overcome, you'd still probably never have decent emulation on the 2X because the joystick is digital instead of analog like the 64. I ran into this problem on a PC emulator playing Conker... you couldn't beat the last boss with digital controls because the "spin" needed the analog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is :)

This thread has nothing to do with what GPH or GP will offer in their next generation on consoles. It is about a new console that I'm may invest in making it! The term '3D' was mentioned because the chipset I'm considering is called Vrender 3D.

The Vrender chipset is WindowsCE only and the CPU on it is only 180mhz.

The video chipset on it only supports mpeg4 which is almost impossible to licence - unless of course you use windows.

Not so great....

The Vrender chipset is WindowsCE only and the CPU on it is only 180mhz.

The video chipset on it only supports mpeg4 which is almost impossible to licence - unless of course you use windows.

Not so great....
The GP2X's MMSP2/MP2520F chipset only appears to support MPEG4 decoding as well. And that's all it plays now. If you want to decode other codecs in software you can but you'd need a very snappy and optimized decoder, entirely ASM I'm sure. And the performance for things like WMV will be quite sub-par. Software decoding of MPEG2 and 1 might work well. Or primitive things like Cinepak.

As for 'WindowsCE only'? You can run Linux on it as well. There's nothing special about it that makes it work only with one OS. Just like the DS can run Linux-- it certainly wasn't designed for it. It doesn't even have an MMU.

And 180 MHz? What? MagicEyes' standard specification is 200 or 266 MHz.

Either way, I'd rather see a system based on an SoC like the FreeScale i.MX31 or Texas Instruments OMAP2 series. The real use for a GPU isn't 3D acceleration-- it's 2D. The possibilities for 2D games would be incredible with the power a reasonably modern mobile GPU provides, as well as the sort of benefit it could give 2D and 3D emulators. The PSX and N64 would be quite feasible to emulate on such a chip, though the Saturn is so poorly emulated on the PC right now it's unlikely someone would crank out a working emulator for a handheld. But you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I mean is there is no off the shelf linux solution for that chipset, where are you going to get the Vrender docs from to support it? The same goes for the Mpeg4 decoder.

I'm pretty sure it is windowsCE only from Magiceyes because that chipset won't be so 'open' (although i'm sure the docs would show up eventually).

Look how long it has taken to get to grips with the gp2x hardware even with it coming with a linux port from day one.

No magic devs are going to appear to make psx, n64 and saturn - we don't even have a rewritten snes graphics core on the gp32 or gp2x after 6 years - it isn't as simple as just saying 'this or that will happen' it just does not work like that.

Back