New Handheld Game Console?

Will you buy a console similar to GP2X but with Vrender 3D Chipset?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

• Only if it's less than $199

• Total voters

The GP2X's MMSP2/MP2520F chipset only appears to support MPEG4 decoding as well

Does this mean the chipset can support MPEG4 codecs other than XVID/DIVX?
I don't see why not; what the hardware accelerates is the low-level calculations that accelerate these codecs. Generic MPEG4, like the type used in Quicktime MOV files should be workable, along with other codecs based on the MPEG4 standard. No one's actually coded support for these codecs into the GP2X's video player, though.

Craigix said:
I'm pretty sure it is windowsCE only from Magiceyes because that chipset won't be so 'open' (although i'm sure the docs would show up eventually).
This sort of thing is why MagicEyes was a shitty choice from the start. Any new handheld should use an SoC from a less controlling and money-grubbing company and at least documents its hardware correctly rather than withholding it as an extortionary tactic. Someone like Samsung, Freescale or TI.

Craigix said:
Look how long it has taken to get to grips with the gp2x hardware even with it coming with a linux port from day one.
A handheld should come with proper libraries and OS support from day one, rather than requiring anyone to 'get to grips with it'. Individual 'homebrew' development wasn't considered seriously enough by GPH so there were no libraries for use of the blitter, leaving the community to pick up the slack-- same for at the very least some sort of a library to ease communication with the ARM940T coprocessor. The burden of getting an OS/firmware running properly on the system is that of whomever releases the system, not who buys it.

Craigix said:
No magic devs are going to appear to make psx, n64 and saturn - we don't even have a rewritten snes graphics core on the gp32 or gp2x after 6 years - it isn't as simple as just saying 'this or that will happen' it just does not work like that.
I guess Zodttd/Unai and the rest of the persons who work(ed) on PSX4ALL don't exist. At any rate, I never said such emulators would be written. I said, if they were, they'd run on the hardware I stated. Work on your reading skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is :)

This thread has nothing to do with what GPH or GP will offer in their next generation on consoles. It is about a new console that I'm may invest in making it! The term '3D' was mentioned because the chipset I'm considering is called Vrender 3D.

It depends on what you want it to do.

If you are making it for original commercial titles then go ahead although you would be crushed by Nintendo and Sony.

If it a homebrew system mostly for running emulators then use something that has enough power to emulate non-3D stuff like NeoGeo and SNES as well. Make sure it has a d-pad, enough face buttons, have the ability to rotate 90 degrees to play vertical games such and MAME games and have an emu friendly screen resolution like 320 x 240 or 640x480 so that you don't need ugly fractional scaling to get the same image size that we have now on gp2x. Don't use something stupid like an in-between resolution of 480 x 272 that matches nothing, is too high for emulated systems making the image too small at 1:1 but too low for many PC games. I have been trying emus on PSP and with that screen at 1:1 you get a postage stamp image, stretching makes stuff distorted and blurry. It is like emus are displayed in CataractVision.

Again it depends what you want to sell it as. Most niches are already covered. There are tons of movie/media players out there, the PSP and DS have commercial gaming locked up too.

Epicenter: In some cases, TI's just as bad at documenting their chipsets.
They don't force you to have their sister companies develop firmware for you to keep customers from understanding how it works-- like they did with the GP2X firmware to avoid having to release how the video decoding blocks of the MMSP2/MP2520F worked. Same reason they were so hard to convince to release the MPlayer source code even though they were legally obligated to. Without this legal obligation, I am certain we would not have the source to anything. The focus on GPH and MagicEyes' end isn't open-source or open-development. Linux was just the cheapest solution. :rolleyes:

As far as TI goes, the chipsets I'd recommend come from the OMAP2 lineup which are supremely documented. I'm not sure about other lineups.

Back