New Member - New Game

its looking real nice.
is there supposed to be an aiming sight (like a crosshair).if there is i didnt get one...
sound fx and blood will make it alot more playable.
a timer would also add alot to the gameplay so you have to 'whack' a certain amount in the set time (im sure you had this in mind anyway!)

you could also try coloured penguins and you have to get so many of each colour (same principle as tilematch)

but yeah its looking great and ill keep a close eye on this one.

Sound Effects - Done
Timer - Done (60 shots to score what you can)
Scoring - sorted.
Witty feedback - Done (Less than 50% or > 50%)
Credits - Done

Will pack an update once I get the kids in bed :)

Chimpoid

Hey maybe you should make an option to turn off the blood if like little kids want to play. Good job though!

Yay, it's nearly ready :D

Blood has been removed (my 4 year old beta tester said it was sad that the penguins would be gone for good) Replaced them with a pop.

All working except for "play again". It locks up. Currently I just quit and then restart. I will address that tomorrow evening.

Pre-Release Beta thingy almost finished page.

Please grab a copy and fire up some feedback. I will try and make any changes that seem like they might make for a better game (like a time based game loop :) )

Thanks for looking

Chimpoid

That or grab the source and pop in SDL_KEYDOWN for the numeric keypad representing the joypad. Then compile for win or linux :)
On the keypad idea I'm planning a java version as it would work quite handily on a phone keypad :D

Chimpoid

Version 1.1 is up

Changes: Tidied some graphics, compiled with Paeyern's HW_SDL libs

Now mirrored on gp2x.de as well.

Chimpoid

fx makes it alot better!
best score -12 :(
like the dave c advertising!

just needs a simple tune in the menu

perhaps you could make a different animal pop up every now and then that your not supposed to hit.
highscore table?

Good work. Currently, your source code is not available on your website. I'm wondering which joystick direction method you are using? Based on this chart:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Suggested_Joystick_Configurations
If I concentrate really hard, I can hit the penguins fairly well with my stock joystick.

Also: You might as well make all of your bmp files into png. It will cut down filesize by 80% or better, and will have no affect on gameplay, except maybe an additional couple second load time.

@statikeffeck

Yeah, I couldn't see the woods for the trees :(
I went with alpha png's initially, the slow down moved me back to bmp. Not thinking of course. Just because I don't want to use alpha there's no reason to dump png altogether. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The joystick config is case 4: 8 way with deadzones. I wanted to write the game as a simple joystick test / accuracy builder. It seemed like a fun way of playing with joystick and getting used to snapping directions. (Picking up DaveC's mod has helped a lot there :D )

Expect updates in a week or two.

Chimpoid

Back