New render of the Pyra

Cool video. Keyboard backlight looks pretty good.

I just hope that grey colour isn't what ED is leaning towards as the final case colour.

I find it rather insipid.

I would like to see that video again, but with a case colour of red that is so deep and dark it could be passed as off-black.

Killer Vid, thanks ED!

Damn, the Pyra is looking nice. Can't wait for those final prototypes to get done, so we can see this beast in action.

Chris

So i did some research and found a HTC keyboard with a nublet on d...

Edit:

How is the habit of putting your index fingers on F and J analogous to putting your thumbs on the same keys. Depending on your grip, its not even the same angle.
Why do we use a QWERTY layout on a thumb keyboard to begin with? Because it's what we know. It's a familiar base layout that we've already learned, which means we can reuse our instinctual knowledge of that layout. On a QWERTY based thumb keyboard we're doing exactly that, using that same knowledge in a new way. Part of what we know about about the QWERTY layout is that the F and J keys feel different, and just like our knowledge of of the symbol map this knowledge can be reused in in our new method of typing.

-Neelix
For much the same reason big enter, shift and backspace stops being something you cant reach with your pinkey fingers when your index fingers are at F and J?
Doublewide space noncentered is even simpler, you cant reach that left half with your left thumb.

Its like danes falling over in the winter in norway because they arent used to Ice.

Typing is about typing,design is about avoiding misnormers. My typing skills translate just fine, and my way of designing is rational.

QWERTY translates better than anything we know of. And it has been tested to do so. The more the merrier, my primary concern is full layout QWERTY.

Us knowing QWERTY does not mean nublets also translate to two-thumbs. Im not saying anything about what the nature of nublets do on a two-thumb, just that its relation to a fullsize keyboard isnt proof either way.

And that puts it firmly in the unknown category.

Unless you test it to work, for people who cant otherwise get along fine, it doesnt have any benefit, but it has a known disadvantage.

Im ok with a disadvantage if i know there is an advantage for someone else to be had.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never used these markings
You literally have no idea what your brain is doing without you being aware of it. You're constantly taking in all kinds of information that you aren't conciously aware of. You may not think you're using that little dot under your fingers but your brain has already associated that, along with dozens of other small cues, to allow you to type.
I just use my eyes. ;)
@Rendering Video: Looks nice. However, the keyboard lights would just look more "noble" if only the labeling itself is illuminated and not the whole key.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use my eyes.
You literally have no idea what your brain is doing without you being aware of it. You're constantly taking in all kinds of information that you aren't conciously aware of. You may not think you're using that little dot under your fingers but your brain has already associated that, along with dozens of other small cues, to allow you to type.

I agree. I like dark reds, I'm a big fan of the Lubuntu blue, but I'm not sure those would look good on a case. Dark grey (like a gunmetal or charcoal) seems nice.

So i did some research and found a HTC keyboard with a nublet on d...
That's because it's it's using the same concept in a completely different way.   Instead of acting as a place marker for the letter keys, it's acting as a place marker for the numeric keypad.   It isn't marking the location of "D",  that's just a coincidence,  it is instead marking  the location of 5. 

-Neelix

I agree. I like dark reds, I'm a big fan of the Lubuntu blue, but I'm not sure those would look good on a case. Dark grey (like a gunmetal or charcoal) seems nice.
Maybe not that particular blue,   but if you've ever seen pictures of ED's (personal) pandora you can see how well blue can work as a case colour.

-Neelix

That is more brown than black, but a well chosen dark red is fine, including the one TrashyMG mentioned...I should just stop posting about the color, everyone that has read what I have already said knows what I like.  I think there is also a poll and associated thread for discussing colors as well.

Maybe not that particular blue,   but if you've ever seen pictures of ED's (personal) pandora you can see how well blue can work as a case colour.

-Neelix
Part of why I think it might be best to stick with grey or black is that the illuminated logo might look really bad with some case colors.  ED's Pandora works for him, but not for everyone.

ED's Pandora works for him, but not for everyone.
I would say the same about the red colours some have been pushing.   

To my mind, if we can only have one case colour,  it should be neutral,  Black or Grey.  If it's in any way practical to have multiple case colours, then the reds and blues can both be accommodated. 

In the latter case I'd also recommend throwing a pink case into the mix because pink seems to sell well,  but I suppose there's no accounting for taste. ;)

-Neelix

ED's Pandora works for him, but not for everyone.
I would say the same about the red colours some have been pushing.   

To my mind, if we can only have one case colour,  it should be neutral,  Black or Grey.  If it's in any way practical to have multiple case colours, then the reds and blues can both be accommodated. 

In the latter case I'd also recommend throwing a pink case into the mix because pink seems to sell well,  but I suppose there's no accounting for taste. ;)

-Neelix
I fully agree about red.  I think any dark color will look better than any light color, though, and white will just look wrong to me.  Maybe a cool light grey would work, but I would need to see the logo doing the disco thing in it to be able to form a real opinion.  Many of the colors I would like I know no one else would ever consider, and that is part of why I like those colors: they are kind of ugly to most people.  If we get fun colors I would like clear or translucent ones.

There is nothing wrong with pink.

Back