New Some Help Basilisk Ii Installation

gates007

Still Fresh
I have installed b2x in a folder at root called b2x

I have the rom file quatra.rom and system755.dsk; both files are in the /mnt/sd/b2x/ folder

I used hfvexplorer to create a hard disk file called games.hfv

I used the following lines in the 320x240.prefs file:

extfs /mnt/sd/b2x/
rom ./rom
disk ./games.hfv

when i run b2x.gpe, its flashes and drop back to gmenu2x.

Can someone help how to config / install? Wiki and forum did not provide useful info when searched. I have also already read the-underdog.info for non-pc games FAQ.

Thanks again for your help

~gates

try:

rom quatra.rom
disk system755.dsk
disk games.hfv
(I have not tried to have 2 disks at the same time but might work)
in gmenu2x make a link to BasiliskII
set parameters to --config 320x240.prefs

Still not working. I modified the 320x240.prefs file as instructed

rom quatra.rom
disk system755.dsk
disk games.hfv

Please bear in mind I installed in a <dir> called b2x and b2x is in the root <dir>

mnt\sd\b2x

I tried the following:

1. I originally point the gmenu2x to b2x.gpe and it runs the selector file and I choose the 320x240 config --> drop back to menu

2. modified the gmenu shortcut to:

exec=/mnt/sd/b2x/BasiliskII --config 320x240.prefs

--> no shortcut for b2x is shown after restart gp2x

if the gmenu shortcut is modified as followed:
/mnt/sd/b2x/BasiliskII --config 320x240.prefs

--> no shortcut for b2x is shown after restart gp2x

Sorry to be a noob, but how do you modify the gmenu2x short cut or the b2x.gpe file (ie. specifically what line) to make b2x recognize the directory and the disk?

Is the file BasiliskII /mnt/sd/b2x?
If your card is formatted as ext2, is BasiliskII executable? If not chmod +x BasiliskII

In gmenu2x press select
choose Add link in ... ,press b
select sd,press b
select b2x, press b
select BasiliskII, press b

select BasiliskII in gmenu2x and press select
select Edit BasiliskII and press b
select Parameters and change to --config 320x240.prefs

if it still doesn't work, can you telnet to the gp2x and run BasiliskII from command prompt and show the messages printed out.

Thanks PCKlee 123 for answering noob questions but I am really new to this and I am not a computer person... however, this is still not working. I did the following items and still run into a black screen and crash - need to restart gp2x...

1. to answer you Q - Yes - BasiliskII file is in /mnt/sd/b2x directory
2. not sure if what the card is formatted as... but I know basiliskii is not an executable. I don't know how to use telnet so when try to use sterm I did not get anyway...
3. made short cut via gmenu2x as instructed + edit to include "--config 320x240.prefs" - ran shortcut - screen goes blank and crash - need to restart gp2x
4. re: telnet - sorry for being such as noob, got to sterm and tried telnet in the bash script - don't know how to use it.
5. recheck the following:
a) In 320x240.prefs file:
extfs /mnt/sd/b2x/
rom quatra.rom
disk system755.dsk
disk games.hfv
screen win/320/240
[... the rest of the file did not change from original script]

B) ROM file named as quatra.rom in the b2x directory
c) games.hfv file in the same b2x using hfvexplorer (made it to ~20Meg)
c) system file in the same b2x directory - system755.dsk (~15,500 kb) as downloaded from link pointed by the-underdog.info FAQ for non-pc games

I am so sorry for the trouble but any help would be appreciated!

~gates

To get mine working I just renamed the ROM to rom (no extension) and the disk file to disk.hfv. I tested the disk file in Windows Basilisk II so I knew it worked. If I run the serial version, I get the start up screen and it goes to the desktop... I assume, because it's all cramped on the left side of my screen and it's all doubled up. If I run the non-serial version I get squat.

1. to answer you Q - Yes - BasiliskII file is in /mnt/sd/b2x directory
2. not sure if what the card is formatted as... but I know basiliskii is not an executable. I don't know how to use telnet so when try to use sterm I did not get anyway...
If you use windows, it means you have a vfat formatted card
3. made short cut via gmenu2x as instructed + edit to include "--config 320x240.prefs" - ran shortcut - screen goes blank and crash - need to restart gp2x
How long did you wait? You probably need to wait a few seconds before the happy mac shows up.
also try turning wrapper on in gmenu2x so that it crashes back into gmenu2x

4. re: telnet - sorry for being such as noob, got to sterm and tried telnet in the bash script - don't know how to use it.
There are some topics on gserial which means you use something like hyperterminal on windows to connect to the gp2x using the USB cable
For telnet, you can use something like PUTTY but you have to set it up on the gp2x first. There should be some discussion topics on this as well

5. recheck the following:
a) In 320x240.prefs file:
extfs /mnt/sd/b2x/
rom quatra.rom
disk system755.dsk
disk games.hfv
screen win/320/240
[... the rest of the file did not change from original script]

You could also try reinstalling b2x (I think I made some changes last week)
use the original 320x240.prefs file and rename your rom and system755.dsk
(put in games.hfv later if it works)

B) ROM file named as quatra.rom in the b2x directory
c) games.hfv file in the same b2x using hfvexplorer (made it to ~20Meg)
c) system file in the same b2x directory - system755.dsk (~15,500 kb) as downloaded from link pointed by the-underdog.info FAQ for non-pc games

I am so sorry for the trouble but any help would be appreciated!

Good luck

Thanks pcklee... I have reinstalled and tested the rom file and hfv file to be working on WinXP BasiliskII.

Question - if I install under the <dir> mnt/sd/b2x

Do I need to specific in the 320x24.prefs file as following:

extfs /mnt/sd/b2x/
rom /mnt/sd/b2x/rom
disk /mnt/sd/b2x/disk.hfv

or is it just

extfs /mnt/sd
rom rom
disk disk.hfv

Also - I assume the disk.hfv is the system boot disk (ie. system 7.5.5), do you add another line called "disk" as the hard drive?

can I have the rom file to be a name dot rom file i.e. quadra.rom?

Hello all,

I was able to get it working and would like to write down the steps I took to make it work so that others can use this as a reference:

1. Make sure you have a fresh install of b2x. If for some reason it fails to boot or install, it may be helpful to reinstall the b2x zipped file
2. rename to rom file to rom (with NO extension)
3. You will need to create a bootable hard drive called disk.hfv. Here's a tutorial on how to do it:

http://os-emulation.net/basiliskII/system7...rial/index.html

4. rename your drive to disk.hfv (it appears to only take this name)

also, you do not need to touch the 320x240.prefs file - all parameters appears to be correct. you don't need to specify the directories if you follow the gmenu2x short cut.

Thanks pcklee123 for porting this wonderful piece of software!

~gates

Any tips for someone trying to do this with a mac? I haven't had any luck so far.

Does anyone know how to disable tv mode? I think my gp2x is trying to boot up, but I can't see the screen... it's all black. Could this be the problem?

Back