New To Gp32. Lots Of Questions

DPUMA8

Still Fresh
Okay I have been reading up on this system and it sounds great and people really seem to like it. But I have a lot of questions. I did read the FAQs and they answered a few questions but many are unanswered.

1. Is the increase to BLU worth the money?
2. BLU+ has problems playing games? Does this mean that this is a huge problem meaning all the emulators won't work since (I really don't know) they were designed for the old screen type
3. Is Lik Sang getting any more?
4. Safe to buy on ebay?
5. How is reliability? I am shaky on buying Korean products (Friend has a Hyundai)
6. Are there any new models coming out?
7. Is there much of a difference between 133 and 166?
8. Car adapter for the USA?
9. Best price?
10. Is it ever coming to the US?
11. Does the screen scratch easily?
12. Is there a way to protect the screen like using a cover?
13. Will the PSP be able to emulate games just like the GP32?
14. GBA possible? If the power is not good enough, can it be upgraded?
15. Recommended price to buy?
16. Does it play all games or only a select 30 games of each system (NES, SNES, Gen)

any more questions I forgot to ask but should know about?

1. Is the increase to BLU worth the money?
think so.

2. BLU+ has problems playing games? Does this mean that this is a huge problem meaning all the emulators won't work since (I really don't know) they were designed for the old screen type
most stuff should work fine now

3. Is Lik Sang getting any more?
unsure, they are waiting for clearin of the blu+ situation

4. Safe to buy on ebay?
i wouldnt buy one at ebay, but i tihnk its safe

5. How is reliability? I am shaky on buying Korean products (Friend has a Hyundai)
very good, good quality.

6. Are there any new models coming out?
no, not in the next years

7. Is there much of a difference between 133 and 166?
yes, get a 166mhz one if you want 16bit emus/3d games, if not 133 will do fine.

8. Car adapter for the USA?
get a nomral 3v 300ma one at any electronic store, will do fine. (but watch for right polarity)

10. Is it ever coming to the US?
never

11. Does the screen scratch easily?
no

12. Is there a way to protect the screen like using a cover?
yes, and you can get a glass screen, thats realy nearly unscratchable.

13. Will the PSP be able to emulate games just like the GP32?
isthe psp able to run unsigned code?

14. GBA possible? If the power is not good enough, can it be upgraded?
NO!

15. Recommended price to buy?
i think ~200$ are normal, but dont know, $ is realy low at the moment.

16. Does it play all games or only a select 30 games of each system (NES, SNES, Gen)
30 games???? wth? it plays what it can. compatibility of most emusis good. nes nearly evrything, snes most agmes that are under 4mb, but a bit slow ith sound. egnesis do fine, but some games a bugged, most work.

ps: i have to much time, yes

Okay for #16, I am just wondering if 10% of SNES games work or 95% of them work. I would mainly be getting this unit for RPGs on the SNES. And as far as Mame, do newer games work or only games mostly from the 80s when roms were small?

SNES and MAME emulation are not yet that good.

SNES RPG's run at about 12fps (frames per second) at 100% speed.
However with RPG's this is playable. Action SNES games are however not playable (IMO).

I never tried the MAME emulator but I thjink it only supports a small ammount of ROM's.

All other Emulators though and homebrew runs very (very) well.

So I guess what you mean is that probably only 5% of SNES games work on this unit right?

Okay I have been reading up on this system and it sounds great and people really seem to like it. But I have a lot of questions. I did read the FAQs and they answered a few questions but many are unanswered.

4) Safe to buy on ebay

Cant really answer that question, 99.9% of my ebay auctions have been fine but with anything you might get one person being an a*shole selling something.

Ha ha about reliability you make me laugh ! Look at Microsoft and Windows and how many patches that needs and how unstable it is ! Doesnt mean i wont buy another american product again ! If i buy something british and it breaks down that doesnt mean everything else will !!

Considering how cheap it is i wouldnt bother doing a huge essay on points you raised.

It basically runs...

Doom 2, Rise of the Triads, Atari 800, Atari VCS, Atari ST, NES, Gameboy, Master System, Genesis, C64, MSX, Sinclair Spectrum, Colecovision and many other emluators

For the price it is and the amount of games/roms you can play on it its brilliant. Until the PSP or the Gizmondo have emulators to put on them (dont yet) then the GP32 is still king

Last edited by a moderator:
about 90% of snes games work, most of them at good speed with sound off, maybe 30% or something good with sound on nad frameskip 3 or something, havent used snes emufor ages.

and all that emu talk, there are many good gp32 games as well, it dosnt allways have to be some emulated stuff.

the screen does scratch *fairly* easily unless its glass. As for GBA emullation not now but possibly in the future (I think that project is still alive isn't it?).

I've generally found SNES emu on OS9XGP to be pretty damn good! Running at 166mhz the speed seems fine WITH sound on many games.

Genesis emu is pretty damn good too (and getting better all the time). Most of the 8-bit machine emus are damn fine and there are plenty of good homebrew games knocking about too.

However, GBA and MAME are not going to be up to much any time soon.

There is a lot of speculation about whether a decent homebrew scene will develop on the PSP but even if it does, how long are you prepared to wait? If you only want SNES, GBA and MAME, and are prepared to wait for 18 months while a scene develops maybe you should think about the PSP. Otherwise, it don't get much better than a GP32.

J(ohn)

I agree, snes emulation is perectly fine, I play Marioworld, fzero and many other games and they are extremely playable , however there are some that dont work

Megadrive Emulation is very good, could be better i'm sure but there is nothing wrong with it and i'm perfectly happy the way it is.

Atari ST Emulation was a big selling point for me and I cant believe how good it is, that machine has some fantastic games and GP32 emulation is excellent.

along with everything else u can do with it it is a very worthwhile purchase and if you like older games systems as much as I do you shouldnt hesitate to buy one.

Okay, the gp32 is built very well, and i am surprised. I am one of those people who likes to test the limits, and ive pressed, pulled, and bumped my GP very agressively. SNES, eh, not to playable yet for the RPG's, (actually, chrono trigger works better than FF3) but some action games work pretty good.

Actually, im wondering, can anyone provide a link, or the file of the unofficial 200mhz version of OSNES9gp? I cant find a working D/L anywhere.

GB, not to great yet either. I didnt find it to playabler yet.

And yes, a lot of the homebrew on the GP is wonderful. May I reccomend:

Numo (puzzle)
Smash GP (SSB 64 port, coming along nicely)
C-Dogs (action shooter, so so fun!)

Just some ive tried so far. Oh, and lastly, and mostly...

Dr.MD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap, genesis emulation is amazing. Full sound and speed in most games. Unbelieveable!

Is there a listing of the games that will work? Is it safe to buy the BLU+? Do the programs work now?

If you want to protect the screen just keep the see through covor on it that new ones will have on (but this wont protect it from heavy handed care)

I have a BLU and like my Atari Lynx it is a very good light. I would be tempted to look into a FLU unit though as not only does the BLU probably not have as good a battery life, it has the same prob as the Lynx: if you switch the light off you cant see the screen at all. The non-lite GP32 has a reflective surface under the screen, as I guess the FLU would have.

Does the FLU units have the option to turn the light off?

Back