TASTY SNACKS
Website
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nis0OjKmGGY
go.

edit:
zomgz pandora-y goodness

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is, how is he moving the pointer?
Mouse or joydisc?
It would be nice to see a similar demo with more of the Pandora in view to see the keys and joypads being exercized.

j.pickens said:
My question is, how is he moving the pointer?
Mouse or joydisc?
It would be nice to see a similar demo with more of the Pandora in view to see the keys and joypads being exercized.
Based on the "click click" that can be heard in the background every time he selects something, I'd say it's a mouse. I'd actually love to see this being done via touch screen, since that's how I think I intend to use it :D

SLAYER!

I'm extremely impressed guys.

Hopefully this won't come across as too harsh or demanding, but I notice Wifi's not working yet. (Firefox's "page cannot be loaded"). Is the antennae not installed on this prototype, or was there something I might have missed in the forums? (I recall an EvilDragon vid where he posted here at the end.. was that Wifi or wired via breakout board?). It could just be that it needs to be configured, and that can take hours on a normal laptop.. :)

No need for a vid on this one, I'd be happy with a "Yes it works inside the case".

Running firefox was just to show that it can handle several apps at once while playing music without stutter, setting up the internet was not really part of the plan.

Really it's just to say, look, music playing, Firefox loading, GIMP loading, GIMP running etc.

DJ Willis is working on the glue that ties the wifi driver into a setup like Angstrom still. From what I understand, there is a whole bunch of stuff you have to type in at the console to start the wifi driver and configure it to find your network and all that and I don't have the time to fight with that just yet. I will wait for the automated version to be ready. :)

I was navigating with a mouse but I could use my finger too. When you use your finger it brings up the menu and I just preferred the mouse with my head poking around the camera to see what I was doing.

I did do some video using the keyboard but you couldn't read anything on the screen because I had to zoom out farther and it all turns into one big white blotch. My camera really sucks at video up close. I didn't send Craig any footage with the keyboard he could use. It's also awkward with no text on the buttons. I'm planning on a better demo with the CNC cut cases.... or probably ED will just do it and do it better with his HD camera.

Hopefully no one is offended by the music selection. I just pulled a few random tracks off of my 605 and stuck them on an SD card for the Pandora. :D

Lovely lovely lovely. I strongly suspect that my Pandora will be taking over from my laptop for much of my day-to-day computing, now. :p

craigix said:
Running firefox was just to show that it can handle several apps at once while playing music without stutter, setting up the internet was not really part of the plan.

Really it's just to say, look, music playing, Firefox loading, GIMP loading, GIMP running etc.
Cheers for the awesome vid, you have insomnia or something? It's bloody early! pandora keepng you awake all night? :p

craigix said:

Yup, totally get that, and on that front, the multitasking OS with apps is awesome. Having firefox the application up and running is critical, and I'm super happy to see it working.

I can think of a dozen legit reasons to show off a demo with no net connectivity yet. (Hard to set up, no Wifi in house, not yet part of the Angstrom distro even though it's been independently tested, etc), almost all of them having to do with not having enough time. Wifi is just on the "worrywart checklist of things to worry about".

EDIT: Just read MWeston's post. I know how much of a bitch it is to set up wireless networking under linux. Perfectly legit explanation. :)

Take your time and keep focusing on the hardware guys, you're doing an excellent job.

MWeston said:
I was navigating with a mouse but I could use my finger too. When you use your finger it brings up the menu and I just preferred the mouse with my head poking around the camera to see what I was doing.
Thanks for the response.
Is it also possible to move the mouse using the joydiscs?

sweet.

with that i guess we can now put the movie-directing career to rest, and move on with the project.

i'm already holding mazza558 responsible for a day or two of delays : )

*doing mods a favour and attempting to artificially merge conversations*
lulzfish said:
Boots in 22 seconds.. And takes longer to load GIMP.

I've confidence that boot time will be brought down over time. And even if not, 22 seconds isn't that great: it has sleep modes that will probably be the recommended method of powering down.
And the GIMP can be a beast. Even on my 2.4 Ghz desktop it takes 8 seconds to load. 30ish seconds for something the power of the Pandora is reasonable.
The ultimate test of multitasking, in my mind, will be if it can play MP3s in the background, and the PS1 emulator at full screen on the foreground.

Yeah, [edit: removed for whatever reason], I was just kinda pointing it out. My laptop takes a couple of minutes to load Ubuntu, and a good number of seconds to load the GIMP.

And if I use my Pandora the same way I use my laptop and cell phone, it will be plugged in and on most of the time. Maybe asleep.

I just thought it was an interesting fact, that Angstrom loads so fast compared to desktop distros.

Gruso said:
Read the accompanying text on youtube / blog. It's totally unoptimised, there are still plenty of performance gains to be made.
Awesome. Will that make the boot times faster or just the GUI? [which I suspect has a lot of optimizing to be done]

Back