New Wiz Forum?

chad78 said:
Oh my. No offense Chad, I mean I agree with you quite often, but I really wasn't looking to have a comment like that sig'd. I'm on a tear today but my goal really is to stop what seems to be the cannibalization of one platform in order to drive people to another. When all is said and done, I will own all which are actually released :) and I do not want Pandora success to come at the expense of GPH or anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJWillis said:
Ok, yes, the Pandora has a lot of raw grunt but the Pollux is a very interesting little SoC...

Sorry, Pollux?

yaustar said:
DJWillis said:
Ok, yes, the Pandora has a lot of raw grunt but the Pollux is a very interesting little SoC...

Sorry, Pollux?
The Pollux is the SoC (System on Chip) used in the Wiz, just like the MMSP2 was the SoC used in the GP2X and the OMAP3530 is the SoC in the Pandora.

Sorry, I often tend to think of units in the terms of the SoC or CPU core used.

@DJWillis and tmcnair

Full ACK.

Good to see at least a few people here who share my point of view. So there is still hope left for this forum...

Regards,
Stephan

I for myself are also wondering what's going on here.

I mean, I'm part of that baaaaaaaad Pandora guys AND part of the baaaaaad moderators, so I should be poison for GPH and hate the Wiz.
Still, I'm sitting here right now with Mr. Lee and Mr. Sanghoorn together in an appartment in Berlin, we just had a great dinner and I tried out the Wiz.

I posted news about the Wiz as soon as I could, I still think there's room for both - even if the Pandora also is my baby, I try to help GPH selling and promoting the WIz (I already learned a LOT of good things about what GPH plan to do with it, if it all works out, it's a dream for every homebrew lover!).

I have no idea why ANYBODY should bash ANYONE. I don't bash GPH being part of the Pandora crew - why should anybody else do that?

tmcnair said:
There is a double standard in these forums. Legitimate criticisms of the Pandora are treated differently than criticisms of GPH products.
That is not true at all. There is a considerable amount of criticism from both camps, and it is curbed when it crosses the line on either side. Having only joined recently, you're probably not aware of the preponderance of anti-Pandora sentiment that infused the boards 6-12 months ago. Every third thread in the Pandora section (once the Pandora section was added) was about how horrible the design was and how the project was doomed to failure.

There is a certain type of person that takes their video games way too seriously. They see any compitition to their system-of-choice as a personal attack. Back then it was GP2X adherents hating on the Pandora because it was different and perceived as a threat. Now it's Pandora fanboys who are wound up from waiting for the last year or so and have nothing else with which to occupy themselves.

Since there are more Pandora fanboys than GPH fanboys at the moment, the forum might seem biased, but it is only the problem members, not the forum itself that is to blame. Eventually both systems will ship and the overzealous types will grow up or move on or get banned and things will get back to normal.

EvilDragon said:
I mean, I'm part of that baaaaaaaad Pandora guys AND part of the baaaaaad moderators, so I should be poison for GPH and hate the Wiz.

It's not you, and it's not Craig. It's really not the people building the Pandora - it's the Pandora Protection Patrol. Consisting of Squidge, Chip, Prophet, and a few others whose insane devotion to a non-existent (as yet) product makes the Jonestown followers look like critical thinkers. You cannot question the Pandora. You cannot belittle the Pandora. The Pandora knows all, is all, and pwns all. Bow before the almighty and magnificent P A N D O R A ! ! !

Chip said:
That is not true at all.
Of course you would deny it, Chip. You're the worst offender.QUOTE
Since there are more Pandora fanboys than GPH fanboys at the moment, the forum might seem biased, but it is only the problem members, not the forum itself that is to blame.
Problem members (like you) who have the power to silence the non-believers, you mean.

Chip said:
See what I mean ;)
Oh - right... I'm *the* problem member, right? So, which camp do I fall into, there, Commandant Chip?

A. Am I a GPH fanboy? (GP2X is over priced, doesn't do anything a modded PSP can't do, fulfills a need that doesn't exist - the Wiz's controls suck, there's no Ananlog stick, making 3D games impossible to play, there's no WiFi)

B. Or a Pandora fanboy? (The thing doesn't exist, and probably won't any time this decade. The people making it make and brake promise after promise after promise. And defenders, like you, rewrite history to cover it up.)

A or B?

Pandora Protection Patrol? Me? I have a GP32 & GP2X. I loved the GP32 to bits, and jumped ship to the GP2X when it had been available for a while. The only bad thing I've said about the Wiz is pretty much the same as everyone else.

I've never stopped anyone from putting there point across, regardless of platform. However, I have noticed some other people who throw there toys out of the pram when something doesn't quite go there way.

Now lets get back to topic before I start having to remove the off-topic bits from this thread ;) (It's about "New Wiz Forum" after all)

Peter R said:
Chad and Chip are always arguing. They are just like a married couple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2be6jGwLoJ0

chad78 said:
B. Or a Pandora fanboy? (The thing doesn't exist, and probably won't any time this decade. The people making it make and brake promise after promise after promise. And defenders, like you, rewrite history to cover it up.)
The Pandora's development has been more transparent than most any other device, we have seen videos of a fully built prototype, we have seen major media write about it, there are details on parts, prices, shipping etc. It has been all but guaranteed that it will ship before December. As far as anyone could predict, the Pandora is going to be released. Craig and his partners would have nothing to gain from hyping and not releasing a device, it would just be a waste of time and a possible drain on profits from distributing the wiz. Please if you have any evidence to the contrary, speak now or admit you are wrong and go join a psp forum.

chad78 said:
It's not you, and it's not Craig. It's really not the people building the Pandora - it's the Pandora Protection Patrol. Consisting of Squidge, Chip, Prophet, and a few others whose insane devotion to a non-existent (as yet) product makes the Jonestown followers look like critical thinkers.
Oh for crying out loud. These people don't have a problem with your Pandora criticism, they have a problem with YOU. You're a loud mouthed, insulting, whiny little girl who seems to be able to dish out much more than he can take. I can think of a few people here that are lacking in tact (oh wait, look who I'm talking to), but Chip, Squidge, and Prophet couldn't possibly be further from this. They are amongst the three most level headed highly regular posters on this forum. I don't know what you're thinking, and trying to peg them as the biased ones is very strange indeed.

Maybe people thought that I was responding to quasist the way I did because he showed that he dislikes the Pandora. No, I responded that way because he shows it in damn near every post he MAKES, with an attached insult and condescending barb to go along with it. He's a troll, he even admits it - look, it says it in his member title. I don't take him very seriously (my response wasn't in fact very serious) but I'm still a little surprised that it's tolerated in a relatively well moderated forum.

I'd like to say that he's much less annoying than chad78, but chad78 is much more fun to watch getting wound up over everything.

Exophase said:
I'd like to say that he's much less annoying than chad78, but chad78 is much more fun to watch getting wound up over everything.

I second that! This is the most fun thread I've read all week!

And if people don't mind me throwing my 2 cents in (Hell, everybody else loves making their own opinions known, why not me) I think a good amount of you, besides the mods, need to get laid, especially Chad.

Is there a rift forming among us? It sure as hell seems so! This reminds me back to the time of when the XGP was supposed to comeout the same time as the f200. There was standoffs like this then, where people all of a sudden just split, and praised what they liked, and wouldn't hear anything else. And here we are again, and did we learn anything.......ha!

Seriously folks, everybody needs to take a step back and look at what's going on. Get up from your chairs, and look out a window, and then look back at the computer. Hmm....maybe the complainers need to go out and get a job, a life, SOMETHING, and quit acting like little children.

DSR

Jackd said:
The Pandora's development has been more transparent than most any other device, we have seen videos of a fully built prototype,
I haven't seen any fully built prototype. I saw an empty box with no keyboard. I've seen a a development kit that is pretty different from the final design - and it wasn't complete either.... If you have seen a fully built working prototype - you are better informed than I.QUOTE
we have seen major media write about it, there are details on parts, prices, shipping etc.
The major media (I'm guessing you mean Engadget. :rolleyes: ) they covered the XGP. They covered the Phantom. They covered Duke Nukem Forever. How does that prove anything?QUOTE
It has been all but guaranteed that it will ship before December.
LOL! It was "All but guaranteed" for February (of 2008) - it was "all but guaranteed" for April - then for June/July - then for August... And I thought it was for November at this time. Has it already been pushed back *AGAIN* to December? OMFG.QUOTE
As far as anyone could predict, the Pandora is going to be released. Craig and his partners would have nothing to gain from hyping and not releasing a device, it would just be a waste of time and a possible drain on profits from distributing the wiz. Please if you have any evidence to the contrary, speak now or admit you are wrong and go join a psp forum.
Same could be said for the XGP, the XGP mini, the XGP kids, the Phantom, Duke Nukem Forever... Why spend time, money, and rep promoting stuff that never exists?

Look, I've never said that Craig & Co. are playing a joke on us - or just making the whole thing up. That's not what vaporware means. From Wikipedia - "Vaporware is a somewhat derogatory term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar software/hardware product."

I also didn't say it will *never* exist - I said it's not likely to happen this decade (which ends in 16 months and a few days). Here's another Wiki quote "In other cases, vaporware never materializes because some other product fills its niche in the meantime, rendering it redundant or unmarketable." If the Pandora doesn't come out soon, other devices will take away the need / market for it. The Wiz is part of that trend. Other OMAP3530 upcoming devices are in the works. And now the PSP 3000 is taking away one of the big complaints I've seen people on here have against it - it now has a much better screen.

There was another "open source game system" that was based on Linux - it suffered from the vaporware problem - and ultimately never existed. It was called the Indrema L600. It would have been an awesome system - on a similar level to the Xbox.

Again, there's very little reason to do vaporware on purpose. (Although there are a few - drum up press for your company in general - make other people's products look like crap in comparison - throw the competition off track in what you are actually working on next. But since this is the first device Craig & Co. have worked on together - none of those apply.) Basically - it's about biting off more than you can chew.

Can I suggest something from a complete outsiders point of view. I have no preference really but this utterly childish bickering in the forums puts me off buying a Pandora. It is just so unprofessional for people involved in the development of it to even get involved in such childish behaviour. I run my own company by the way so I'm in a relatively good position to say that. It just gives the company a very very bad image.

If the Pandora is just some bedroom project then fine but if this is supposed to be the start of a serious venture then it needs to stop now. If that means completely splitting the GP2X and Pandora forums to separate sites then so be it even if those two sites are run by the same group. There is a serious conflict of interests here whether you can see it or not.

Its just no way to run a company. Not a successful one anyway.

Back