Newbie compiling problems (Pentagram)

thatgui

Advanced Member
I'm currently trying to make my first "port": Pentagram an Ultima 8 engine reimplementation. There was already a port some time ago, but it had difficulties and meanwhile a lot of bugs are fixed.

So I took the latest snapshot, put it on the Pandora, started the shell of the codeblocks pnd. I executed the "bootstrap" script, which seemed to exit with no failures, but after starting "configure" I get an error message regarding chmod not beeing able to change permission of "configure.lineno".

I'm trying this on a fat32 formatted SD-Card so my guess is, that chmod fails because fat32 does not support this kind of functionality.

My (first of probably many) questions is, is it possible to alter the configure script accordingly, or do I need to setup a partition with a more appropriate filesystem (ext3 or ext4).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the first thing to do when you develop on Pandora (and on Linux) is to work with a Linux file system, i.e. ext2 is usually recommended. That's mentioned in all the tutorials on Pandoralive from PtitSeb and Dredd. 

Instead of a partition why don't you use a full card formatted as ext2 ?

Altering the configure script might get it running through but ultimately you will run into other problems like symlinks not being created etc.

You should make yourself an ext2 or ext4 devsd.

Instead of a partition why don't you use a full card formatted as ext2 ?
Convenience and "clumsiness", I usually transport my Pandora without an additional bag, so everything that isn't attached to it will get lost eventually. I need a Fat32 partition for an occasional swap into an mp3 player - lets see how that device handles a SD with two partititons.

Altering the configure script might get it running through but ultimately you will run into other problems like symlinks not being created etc.
true, off I go preparing a proper environment

thanks for the advice guys

Just a quick update:

Reformatted my second SD-Card with ext3, and ended up with a binary :)

Next steps:

- find the Ultima 8 CD

- understand the config

- create a pnd

far off and only a slight chance of happening:

- make Pandora specific adjustments (screen, controls) if needed

- understand the config
Code:
Here is what i used for the Nokia Internet Tablet

[pentagram]
defaultgame=pentagram
fullscreen=yes
scalex=400
scaley=240
# Select the scaler you want to use. Currently you can choose between
# point, bilinear, scale2x, 2xSaI, hq2x.
#scaler=2xSaI
scaler=scale2x
width=800
height=480
bpp=16
ttf=no
Code:
midi_driver=disabled
Code:
skipstart=yes
[u8]
# replace 'path to U8 directory' with the directory containing 'u8.exe'