Nintendo Revolution To Launch With 221 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! He's been here over two years longer than me, and STILL isn't fluent!!!

w00t

I have a 64DD

I like my consoles in piles (Satellaview, Sega 32x)

The only "game" I own is the F-ZeroX expansion cart, It is very good, although it is not as good as the editor included in excitebike 64, so there really was little reason for it not to be included on an N64 cart (Why it isn't in GX is beyond me)

Magus, I'm not entirely sure what we all are talking about :D You say someone who has never played video games will find it harder to learn to use the Gamecube controller than a PS2 controller. You go on and elaborate by saying that the diamond is a familiar shape. But this person has never played video games before! The shape is familiar to you because you play often.

As you said yourself, you never really tried it out. While you might think my arguments make no sense, I know they do. Put your thumb on the A button and you KNOW where everything is - also everything can be reached very quick and in an efficient manner, because the cashew shape actually conforms to your thumb. The layout itself also is no problem at all. You seem to think the only good layout is a syymetrical layout. Fact is, neither your hands are symmetrical nor are all buttons of the same importance. The A button is the button that gets mapped with an important action, and it just works. As a direct example: We are currently moving and our new neighbours' three year old son was getting on my nerves and asked me if he could play with my gamecube. I let him play Mario Kart. He could play it without me even explaining the buttons because he naturally assumed A = important = accelerate.

omg... so you mean to tell me that anybody who hasn't played videogames before DOES NOT KNOW WHAT A DAMN SQUARE IS? That's what I was referring to... the fact that it's a familiar shape to everybody, period... not a familiar shape for button layout, just a familiar shape at all... You look at it once and put your hand on one button... you know where the rest are.

Do you know for sure that he never played Mario Kart before? How do you know that maybe he just happened to touch A first, and rather than hitting all the buttons for no reason, he decided to try it before the rest cuz it's the first one he touched?

Look, I've already said this before... I'm not "ragging" on anything... I'm just saying that I don't like the gamecube controller, and I don't know why they decided to make it the way they did. I'm not saying "omg, gamecube sux!!" or anything like that at all. And I'm not trying to say that Sony's better either... I'm just saying that I like their controller better and that the button layout is in a shape that everybody knows(once again, not referring to familiarity with that shape being used as a button layout, just referring to familiarity of the shape at all), so it's easier to learn to use. I'm not saying that I could never learn to use a gamecube controller... If I had to learn to type with my feet, it would eventually happen... but that doesn't change the fact that it's awkward. Obviously nobody's going to get thru to each other here, so let's just stop this now before it gets any worse than it already is.

I'm not pissed off... I haven't been this entire time... but I get frustrated when people read or hear something I've said and then completely misinterperate it. I've had to re-explain myself several times here already.

And while I've never really liked Gamecube at all, Lubidog, I didn't go into the situation with a bad attitude... My brother told me he had Mortal Kombat(I can't remember which one, I think it was Deadly Alliance or something like that), and I was like "ooh, Mortal Kombat, must play..." Because I loved Mortal Kombat... But compared to the old ones, that game sucked. and that's no fault of the controller. But like I said before, I can't understand why Nintendo messed with their controller the way they did because while I was playing it, I think I beat my brother or something, and it said "press (insert button name because I can't remember what it wanted me to press)." And of course, I hit the wrong one.

Then another time, I went to the Weidman Twins' house(the twins I mentioned earlier who somehow broke like 5 gamecube controllers in a year... don't ask me how they did that, I have no idea), and they asked me if I wanted to play some shooting game that I think was based on the Gulf War. I forget what it was called... anyway, they told me its controls were like TimeSplitters, and it played kind of like SOCOM... So I was expecting it to be really good. It wasn't... For some reason, they let you pick 2 different "teams," American and British. Picking a different team does absolutely nothing though, as they both have the exact same weapons. The game was very sluggish and not much fun at all. Once again, not the controller's fault... but this is when it felt like the gamecube controller wasn't very durable for some reason.

Before you say that I should play Nintendo's first party games, I've been there and done that. I hated MarioKart ever since its debut on SNES. Super Mario 64 isn't interesting or exciting at all(by the way, wtf happened to luigi?), all sports games suck, especially those with Mario characters, I HATE Pokemon, and I never liked Donkey Kong country(and I suck at it anyway). Ocarina of Time was great though. I'm sure wind waker is at least okay, but I'm not about to go buy a gamecube just to try it. Even if it would end up being the best game I'd ever played(doubtful... very very doubtful), I still wouldn't buy one because no other gamecube games interest me at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
well all the controlers have some flaws, the ps2 controller have to short hold thingees, at the gc controller the backside of the dpad/cstick disturbs my middle finger also the z button is badly accesable, the xbox controller buttons are to small, but they also all have thair good sides.
one thing i miss is the nice grip thingee that many 3rd party controllers have.
for me the 3rd party bigben gamecube controllers are realy great, but also have a bit to short hold thingees.
the dreamcast controller is the best for me, the only downside of it is that after long playing of crazy taxi the r button begins to scratch :)
next best would be the xbox controller (through i realy dislike the xbox as a console, but the controller is great), followd by gc and ps2 wich are compareable good, but i think the short hold thingees make the ps2 controller worse for me, but its 4 shoulder buttons are nice, but the buttons are to small and i dont like the symbols stuff, its just not as easy to know wich is ment.

Magus, I'm not entirely sure what we all are talking about :D You say someone who has never played video games will find it harder to learn to use the Gamecube controller than a PS2 controller. You go on and elaborate by saying that the diamond is a familiar shape. But this person has never played video games before! The shape is familiar to you because you play often.

As you said yourself, you never really tried it out. While you might think my arguments make no sense, I know they do. Put your thumb on the A button and you KNOW where everything is - also everything can be reached very quick and in an efficient manner, because the cashew shape actually conforms to your thumb. The layout itself also is no problem at all. You seem to think the only good layout is a syymetrical layout. Fact is, neither your hands are symmetrical nor are all buttons of the same importance. The A button is the button that gets mapped with an important action, and it just works. As a direct example: We are currently moving and our new neighbours' three year old son was getting on my nerves and asked me if he could play with my gamecube. I let him play Mario Kart. He could play it without me even explaining the buttons because he naturally assumed A = important = accelerate.

omg... so you mean to tell me that anybody who hasn't played videogames before DOES NOT KNOW WHAT A DAMN SQUARE IS? That's what I was referring to... the fact that it's a familiar shape to everybody, period... not a familiar shape for button layout, just a familiar shape at all... You look at it once and put your hand on one button... you know where the rest are.

Do you know for sure that he never played Mario Kart before? How do you know that maybe he just happened to touch A first, and rather than hitting all the buttons for no reason, he decided to try it before the rest cuz it's the first one he touched?

Look, I've already said this before... I'm not "ragging" on anything... I'm just saying that I don't like the gamecube controller, and I don't know why they decided to make it the way they did. I'm not saying "omg, gamecube sux!!" or anything like that at all. And I'm not trying to say that Sony's better either... I'm just saying that I like their controller better and that the button layout is in a shape that everybody knows(once again, not referring to familiarity with that shape being used as a button layout, just referring to familiarity of the shape at all), so it's easier to learn to use. I'm not saying that I could never learn to use a gamecube controller... If I had to learn to type with my feet, it would eventually happen... but that doesn't change the fact that it's awkward. Obviously nobody's going to get thru to each other here, so let's just stop this now before it gets any worse than it already is.

I'm not pissed off... I haven't been this entire time... but I get frustrated when people read or hear something I've said and then completely misinterperate it. I've had to re-explain myself several times here already.

And while I've never really liked Gamecube at all, Lubidog, I didn't go into the situation with a bad attitude... My brother told me he had Mortal Kombat(I can't remember which one, I think it was Deadly Alliance or something like that), and I was like "ooh, Mortal Kombat, must play..." Because I loved Mortal Kombat... But compared to the old ones, that game sucked. and that's no fault of the controller. But like I said before, I can't understand why Nintendo messed with their controller the way they did because while I was playing it, I think I beat my brother or something, and it said "press (insert button name because I can't remember what it wanted me to press)." And of course, I hit the wrong one.

Then another time, I went to the Weidman Twins' house(the twins I mentioned earlier who somehow broke like 5 gamecube controllers in a year... don't ask me how they did that, I have no idea), and they asked me if I wanted to play some shooting game that I think was based on the Gulf War. I forget what it was called... anyway, they told me its controls were like TimeSplitters, and it played kind of like SOCOM... So I was expecting it to be really good. It wasn't... For some reason, they let you pick 2 different "teams," American and British. Picking a different team does absolutely nothing though, as they both have the exact same weapons. The game was very sluggish and not much fun at all. Once again, not the controller's fault... but this is when it felt like the gamecube controller wasn't very durable for some reason.

Before you say that I should play Nintendo's first party games, I've been there and done that. I hated MarioKart ever since its debut on SNES. Super Mario 64 isn't interesting or exciting at all(by the way, wtf happened to luigi?), all sports games suck, especially those with Mario characters, I HATE Pokemon, and I never liked Donkey Kong country(and I suck at it anyway). Ocarina of Time was great though. I'm sure wind waker is at least okay, but I'm not about to go buy a gamecube just to try it. Even if it would end up being the best game I'd ever played(doubtful... very very doubtful), I still wouldn't buy one because no other gamecube games interest me at all.

Told you! He started it!

Magus, quit being a fanboy.

Any idiot can tell that this is the true "shape" of the GameCube's button layout:

It's extremely intuitive. In almost every game there is a single button that will get the most use. This button will, naturally be assigned to the central A button because it is the resting place of one's thumb on the GC controller. Then, when the game requires more, they can be assigned to the button surrounding the A button. The idea, which is a good one, is that the buttons do NOT have to equally accessible because they are all used to varying degrees in gaming. It's a genius idea as far as I am concerned.

Magus, quit being a fanboy.

Any idiot can tell that this is the true "shape" of the GameCube's button layout:

It's extremely intuitive. In almost every game there is a single button that will get the most use. This button will, naturally be assigned to the central A button because it is the resting place of one's thumb on the GC controller. Then, when the game requires more, they can be assigned to the button surrounding the A button. The idea, which is a good one, is that the buttons do NOT have to equally accessible because they are all used to varying degrees in gaming. It's a genius idea as far as I am concerned.

Clearly you haven't read my previous post... here's another chance for you. it's been enlarged so you don't miss it... Enjoy!

"Look, I've already said this before... I'm not "ragging" on anything... I'm just saying that I don't like the gamecube controller, and I don't know why they decided to make it the way they did. I'm not saying "omg, gamecube sux!!" or anything like that at all. And I'm not trying to say that Sony's better either... I'm just saying that I like their controller better and that the button layout is in a shape that everybody knows(once again, not referring to familiarity with that shape being used as a button layout, just referring to familiarity of the shape at all), so it's easier to learn to use. I'm not saying that I could never learn to use a gamecube controller... If I had to learn to type with my feet, it would eventually happen... but that doesn't change the fact that it's awkward. Obviously nobody's going to get thru to each other here, so let's just stop this now before it gets any worse than it already is."

Hey dipshit... How am I being a fanboy? I'm stating my friggin' opinion and actually giving reasons why I feel the way I do. A few others who posted here just said "omg, gamecube pwnz! I hate PS2!" Yet I'M being a fanboy?!?! Good use of logic, you moron. It doesn't matter how the hell you connect those buttons, it's still not in a specific pattern... Why the hell SHOULDN'T all buttons be as easily accessible as the rest? Just because a game designer didn't think that a certain function should be used as much as the rest doesn't mean that it should be forced onto the players... Each and every player is different. Each and every player has his or her own preferences and styles of play. Because of that, every button SHOULD have the same degree of accessibility. If I play TimeSplitters 3, and I decide that I like to use the melee attacks a lot, and it's set to a button that's a pain in the ass to reach, that's a crock of shit. It's not in the game makers' places to determine what style we'll use when playing their damn games. I'm not a fanboy, dumbass.

Calm down.

Magus, I hope you never become President!

He's getting on my tits now, can't someone ban him?

"Hey! I have a great idea! Magus is defending his opinion against hypocritical Nintendo fanboys who try to label him one! OMG, THAT BASTARD!!! LET'S BAN HIM!!!!"

Vimacs, I already suggested that... Clearly they can't accept my opinion. I have no problem with their own, but some of them don't even offer reasons for the way they feel, and they label me a fanboy because I don't like the gamecube controller...

"Hey! I have a great idea! Magus is defending his opinion against hypocritical Nintendo fanboys who try to label him one! OMG, THAT BASTARD!!! LET'S BAN HIM!!!!"

Vimacs, I already suggested that... Clearly they can't accept my opinion. I have no problem with their own, but some of them don't even offer reasons for the way they feel, and they label me a fanboy because I don't like the gamecube controller...
well Im just guessing that it's because your reasons aren't that great for why you love the ps2 controller and it doesn't really seem like you gave enough time to at least try the controller

when I first opened up my GCN and played a game I instintly loved the controller and had no proplems with it

Xbox I played Halo for like an hour at a friends house on the old style one, got use to it

DC, took sometime to learn the buttons but I love it now

PS2, have played many many ps1 games and ps2 still can't really get it every time I pick it up I have to relearn the buttons

w/ my DC last time I played it was like last month and that was after a few months instantly knew the controllers. Same w/ GCN

but I still need to get use to the PS2 layout everythime I go to play it

Magus, I'll be honest here, you come across as rather aggressive and downright surly on here. It doesn't look big or clever.

Still, perhaps we have been quick to jump at you. Perhaps it's the (most likely unintentional) way you appear to think everything you say is fact (just like the 'enter'/'return' fiasco), or that you seem to want to argue for arguments sake (you managed around five of your huge posts on why controllers with wires are better than wireless ones, even when you can actually put a wire into them to charge, so everyone's happy. I won't get into that again, but you see my point) or the fact that nearly every single thread you have been involved in has been argumentive.

I can see this getting locked soon as the flames have started to rise.

EDIT: Missed bracket off, made it even more confusing.

No, I just don't see why a square button layout is so much better than a Y (which most people also recognise). Once again, you look at it, put your thumb on it and know where the rest is. I might be a little thick, but I just do not understand why the square layout is so superior.

You just proved my point. He touched A first. It's the biggest button in signal green. Incidently, it is also the most important button for this game.

And I'm not trying to sanctify the GC Controller. I just don't understand your arguments. By the way, that was a pretty bad analogy ;)

You sure sound pissed off though ;)

True... Deadly Alliance did not have the MK feel at all. Though your inability to hit the right button might have made it even worse :p

So you fell like the controller is not durable because you don't like that game? I'd really like to understand the connection ;)

And a nice dose of "Everything sucks" to round off the post :p

Anyone that clicks on Magus profile and sees his new picture of himself will clearly see that this is one peaceloving, gentle guy!

The sooner this topic is locked, and Magus grows up the better! You don't win arguments by shouting or shooting!

Anyone that clicks on Magus profile and sees his new picture of himself will clearly see that this is one peaceloving, gentle guy!

The sooner this topic is locked, and Magus grows up the better! You don't win arguments by shouting or shooting!
guessing that's airsoft...

I got an airsoft gun!

it's so fun

yeah maybe an admin should just edit out all the argument w/ mangus and put it in another topic because this one seems to drifted off far....

lol quality, playing pretend soldiers with toy guns,

hey we all got dressed up and played make believe as kids ;)

just remebered 2 weekends ago on a stag do shooting semi automatics and pump action shot guns in Hungary with our pants round our ankles now thats how you shoot a gun in style :p

Yeah, Mum's knickers! :D :) :huh: :blink: :( :unsure:

I'll get my coat!

PS. Sorry if I was a little hard on Mingypuss, but he does get so het up!

No, I just don't see why a square button layout is so much better than a Y (which most people also recognise). Once again, you look at it, put your thumb on it and know where the rest is. I might be a little thick, but I just do not understand why the square layout is so superior.

You just proved my point. He touched A first. It's the biggest button in signal green. Incidently, it is also the most important button for this game.

And I'm not trying to sanctify the GC Controller. I just don't understand your arguments. By the way, that was a pretty bad analogy ;)

You sure sound pissed off though ;)

True... Deadly Alliance did not have the MK feel at all. Though your inability to hit the right button might have made it even worse :p

So you fell like the controller is not durable because you don't like that game? I'd really like to understand the connection ;)

And a nice dose of "Everything sucks" to round off the post :p

No, no, no, I didn't mean the controller felt easily breakable cuz the game wasn't any good. I don't remember exactly what it was about the controller, but when I was playing that game, I noticed something that made it feel like it was gonna break. It had nothing to do with the game, that's just when I happened to notice whatever it was(which I can't remember).

Yes, missing the right button made it worse, and I'm not trying to say the controller's horrible, I just don't understand why they laid the buttons out the way they did. I think it would have made more sense to stick with the way they had it before, rather than change it suddenly and confuse people.

About typing with my feet... What I'm saying here is that they used to have the diamond button layout with the SNES, then they all of a sudden make a radical change to the N64 controller and then to the Gamecube, which is the weirdest controller I've ever seen. What I'm getting at is that trying to use the controller is a bit difficult because it's a weird design. Going from SNES to gamecube is difficult, just like typing with your hands and then suddenly trying to type with your feet would be... The two aren't strongly related, but they both contain the same principle. The 2nd thing is weird because it's not the norm, and it is therefore hard to get used to.

I'm not saying everything sucks, I'm just saying I don't like most of what Nintendo makes. The games don't appeal to me at all. Most of Gamecube's exclusive games are first party games. I haven't been fond of any of Nintendo's first party games since... Super Mario All-Stars(and even that pissed me off a bit while playing mario 3. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but SOMETHING is different from the original. It doesn't feel right). That hasn't changed, and I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

And yes, that's an airsoft gun in my profile picture. And despite the way I get heated up in arguments, I actually AM gentle and peace-loving... and that's not a joke. I might get angry, but I don't resort to physical violence, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back