Revolution To Not Support Hd

next question, when did you buy your last tv, how big is it, and would you like to spend 500$ again just for a betetr res?

I have been looking into HD sets for a month now. I will have to have one in place the day the Xbox 360 comes out. If I don't have a HD set I won't even hook up the 360 until I get one. No more dodgy standard def for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, the target market for the Rev is the casual user who likes playing games
Johnny Q. Pubic is attracted to raw power more and buzzwords more than anything. Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot again.

Oh yeah? Well how does that theory explain how the DS STILL seems to be outselling the PSP? There is a whole cadre of casual gamers out there who are more into lower priced, easier to pick-up-and-play systems, who have been complaining for a long time how games have gotten too complicated. These are the people Nintendo seems to be targeting (the ones who are buying up all the DS's), and while at first, I too thought they were shooting themselves in the foot with this new strategy (I was dead convinced the DS would be no match for the PSP), now I'm not so sure. I think the Revolution will definately appeal to a wide range of people, maybe people who wouldn't usually play games, or haven't played them in a long time. If it really releases for $100 that will make them seem a VERY favorable choice vs. the $300-400-500 PS3 and Xbox 360. Parents will still flock to Nintendo as the system of choice for their younger children. Do I think they will outsell PS3? Hell no. But I don't think they're doomed anymore either... I think they have a good chance to do very well with the Rev IF they do hit a really low pricepoint.

EDIT: heheh... John Q. PUBIC... :D :blink:

Here in Britainland, Everyone's now talking about the DS, yet before it came out everybody was talking abut the psp...

Well here in the US actually it seems the PSP and DS are selling roughly equal up to this point? I may be off as it's been a while since I've checked. PSP is more hyped, word of mouth, right now... it's the one everyone WANTS. They are just starting to become common enough that you have like a 50/50 chance that any particular store will have them in stock.

But I know I've heard that in the UK and for a LONG time in Japan the DS was selling much better.

Even if it's not, the point is, sales have not been BAD by any stretch... as I said quite a few of us though the DS would be doomed from the start, overshadowed by the impending PSP... similiar to the way in which many people held off on buying a Dreamcast in favor of waiting for the PS2, which many industry experts agree was a BIG part of the reason the DC failed.

similiar to the way in which many people held off on buying a Dreamcast in favor of waiting for the PS2, which many industry experts agree was a BIG part of the reason the DC failed.
I'm not trying to sound like a DS hater or anything, but the Dreamcast sold like a crazy fool in the beginning.. retailers couldn't get enough. But then it stopped.

PSP's not out in Europe yet, so that one can not be called yet. It's no surprise that DS is outselling the PSP over in Japan. I've always worried that Nintendo catered too exclusively to the Japanese market. The Japanese love their wacky electronics and games and things... I saw in a poll that Japanese people are most excited about the Revolution over the other two next-gen consoles. Heck, the Saturn and the Dreamcast sold well over there, too (rightfully so in the DC's case, of course).

I believe that the DS has been saved in America thanks to the almost nonexistant release schedule of the PSP this year. It gives Nintendo a chance to firmly plant it's feet in the ground, and I believe they will not be trounced like they would have been had the PSP not utterly sucked up the place for the rest of this year.

It's hard to say, really. The American and European markets love graphics, and the PSP owns that one. But you never know. And the DS owns Japan; it's that simple.

I don't think there will be a clear winner for quite some time yet. But that's okay, the handheld market has needed some real competition for, well... forever.

Well here in the US actually it seems the PSP and DS are selling roughly equal up to this point? I may be off as it's been a while since I've checked. PSP is more hyped, word of mouth, right now... it's the one everyone WANTS. They are just starting to become common enough that you have like a 50/50 chance that any particular store will have them in stock.

But I know I've heard that in the UK and for a LONG time in Japan the DS was selling much better.

Even if it's not, the point is, sales have not been BAD by any stretch... as I said quite a few of us though the DS would be doomed from the start, overshadowed by the impending PSP... similiar to the way in which many people held off on buying a Dreamcast in favor of waiting for the PS2, which many industry experts agree was a BIG part of the reason the DC failed.
THE PSP IS OUT IN BRITAIN???????

THE PSP IS OUT IN BRITAIN???????
...huh?

back on topic

high res gaming is 10x better than playing on a shitty 480i tv. it's cool that most people don't have hd sets(i don't right now), but for those that do, and the many more that will, it's gonna be a big deal.
ah, whatever, like we all know, ninty isn't after that particular demographic

Back