Nintendo Revolution To Launch With 221 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Micro, I actually didn't play it for more than a minute... so didn't comment on how (un)comfortable it was... it didn't seem any worse than the SP is to me, which the SP was kind of bad since I have large hands.

My big gripe with the Micro is that the screen is SOOOOOOOO small, smaller than the Ngage screen or VERY close to it. Not fun to play on.

About Nintendo's usually rigorous QA, and their love of the obscure... they are both very valid points :lol: I'm sure they are going to test the controller to death, do I think that means it won't be a touchscreen? No.

And their QA hasn't always proven flawless. The original GBA stands out in my mind, with it's way too dark screen... THAT was something QA should have caught. Many other unlit handhelds have been MUCH easier to see.

I think the gamecube controller is great EXCEPT that it needs more buttons. The problem applies to GC-only games a little but it applies even more so to ports... so many games were designed to use all of the face and shoulder buttons (12 buttons for xbox and PS2 including select/back and start) + the dual thumbstick buttons (when you click the stick straight down, for a total of 14 buttons) that when they get ported over to the GC (8 buttons or 10 if you count the click of the shoulder buttons which aren't always feasible to use) some compromises have to be made. Maybe not that big of a problem for most of you but I think it is.

The controller is not going to be a touchscreen, Nintendo have officially stated that ages ago. Aside from that, it would be physically impossible as touchscreens can only detect one touch point at a time, so you couldn't have a virtual controller on it.

Yeah me too, I'm looking forward to a few games, like kingdom hearts two, and chain of memories, zelda.
And the minish cap I found amazing because it felt so much like the snes game

But other then that, the highlight was when I found out a few months back, just how much the xbox can do....and I bought one

There could be lcds in the buttons to tell you what key it is mapped to, I suppose, though I doubt it

I cant get excited about it really since I can play nearly all of those games on my XBOX or PC (or even GP32 or PSP these days).

But it's great for regular folk who have no idea about the seedy world of emulation.

well my friend told me (even tho he is some what a compulsive liar) that on the IGN forums or something some one posted pictures of the Rev controllers and one was shaped like a GCn and one was reconfigured in a sphere shape

so I would have to go w/ the moveable buttons someone said earlier

and he also told me he read that most of the games besides more popular games, like mario, will most likly be free

[edit] Am I the only one who has been bored stiff by this generation of consoles? In fact the highlight of this generation, for me, was when I softmodded my box.

I second that :D Softmodding my Xbox was definately one of the highlights of my year, games-wise. My Xbox went from being hardly touched to getting crammed in a backpack so I could haul that heavy sum'bitch to work with me every damn night!

Okay well... there were a FEW other highlights for me this gen... Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Ikaruga, Mario Sunshine, God of War, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Wind Waker, Halo 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR, Klonoa 2, Eternal Darkness, Gran Turismo 3 and 4, Ico... damn... okay so there were actually a LOT of highlights :D that's barely a fraction that I can think of off the top of my head...

come on this generation hasn't been THAT bad :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Gah, I hate controllers with too many buttons (like the PS2 and Xbox controllers). The two shoulder button on each side of the PS2 controller just doesn't work for me. I can't bring myself to put two fingers on each of the shoulders, and, if I don't do that, I lots of times have to make sure I'm pushing the right one. And the Xbox black and white buttons are amazingly uncomfortable and worthless. Also, I don't think I've EVER pressed the BACK button... :unsure:

I love the GC's controller though that analog stick button (like PS2's L3 and R3 buttons) would have been nice to include.

Gah, I hate controllers with too many buttons (like the PS2 and Xbox controllers). The two shoulder button on each side of the PS2 controller just doesn't work for me. I can't bring myself to put two fingers on each of the shoulders, and, if I don't do that, I lots of times have to make sure I'm pushing the right one. And the Xbox black and white buttons are amazingly uncomfortable and worthless. Also, I don't think I've EVER pressed the BACK button... :unsure:

I love the GC's controller though that analog stick button (like PS2's L3 and R3 buttons) would have been nice to include.

I hate all the top buttons (A, B, Y, Z, Black, White) on the original xbox controller because they are domed, It makes using the controller very uncomfortable when playing a game for long periods of time.

So i got myself one of those dreambox ps1/2 controller convertors. It makes it much more comfortable to play the xbox, But it seems to suffer a bit of lag.

I`ve not tested or compaired it thoroughly with the original xbox controller yet, But does anyone else experience this with the dreambox or any joypad convertor for any system ?.

Trooper

[edit] Am I the only one who has been bored stiff by this generation of consoles? In fact the highlight of this generation, for me, was when I softmodded my box.

I second that :D Softmodding my Xbox was definately one of the highlights of my year, games-wise. My Xbox went from being hardly touched to getting crammed in a backpack so I could haul that heavy sum'bitch to work with me every damn night!

Okay well... there were a FEW other highlights for me this gen... Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Ikaruga, Mario Sunshine, God of War, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Wind Waker, Halo 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR, Klonoa 2, Eternal Darkness, Gran Turismo 3 and 4, Ico... damn... okay so there were actually a LOT of highlights :D that's barely a fraction that I can think of off the top of my head...

come on this generation hasn't been THAT bad :D
This generation has been very good. as long as you are very selective abou what games you buy...I've bought 8 games for my ps2 that im having trouble forcing myself to complete.. With my gamecube however, all of my purchases have been awesome!
*Goes to basement to play metroid prime*

let down of this generation: playing the great game that is Tales of Symphonia only to watch the horrible, horrible ending.

They tested the Gamecube controller to death, it went through so many design revisions

although a lot of people hate it (mostly people who used DualShocks for PS1) A lot of people consider it to be the most ergonomic controller on the market

I definately dont think they will release a controller with a flat surface like a pocketpc or a tablet touchscreen

They could have removeable/moveable buttons

I still think they are going to use a Gamecube controller, because it really does work well with any Nintendo console (I have played NES, N64, and GBA games on my GC)

Im not sure what they are gonna do for the real controlelr tho

Ah yes, I hate the gamecube controller... but not because it doesn't feel good when I hold it... not at all... The problem I have with it is that it feels really fricken cheap, like it's gonna break really easily. The L and R buttons feel weird... rather than clicking like a dual shock controller, they just go in. all you feel is a spring... I don't like that at all. I don't understand what they were thinking when they designed that controller... or the N64 controller either. While they are both very comfortable as far as the shape is concerned, they're just really really really weird. The N64 isn't quite as weird, but why'd they give it 3 "handles" and 3 triggers when you can only use 2 at a time? And why did they force you to use the analog stick in most of the games I played?(could be a coincidence, and I just played an assload of analog stick-forced games... or maybe you can change it somewhere in the options, but i never looked. I don't know, I never liked the N64, not even from the beginning. I didn't like the PS1 at first cuz my brother said it was dumb... I was like 12 atthe time... but when I played twisted metal 2, I became obsessed...) And why did they suddenly decide to abandon the nice progression they had with NES to SNES and start all over with a completely new design? They put B where Y was and A where B was. It didn't feel right anymore... and then when they made the gamecube controller, they made A like twice the size of B... what's with that? Then they turned Y and X into cashew shaped buttons and just threw them on there... The controller seems unorganized. I'm sure if I got used to it, I'd like it a lot more. It definitely feels comfortable in my hands, but I hate the button placement, it feels like it's gonna break, and I don't like how the L and R buttons feel.

As for ergonomics, they're not really important to me. If they were, I wouldn't be playing all my PS2 games with the MadCatz RetroCon:
retrocon.jpg

If ergonomics aren't important to you, you sure talk about them a lot...

The reason you use that controller is coz it feels right in your hand.

I like both the N64 and (particularly) the Gamecube controllers. The gamecube at first was bewildering, what did what. But after thrashing Link around for several hours, it felt lovely!

The dual shock works cos it's so streamlined, everything you need is there!

But I really hope Ninty come up with something good, as there must be room to travel with the whole controller thing! Eyetoy has shown us that...

Worst controller for ergonomics ever..... the xbox official controller. its fucking huge and my hands hurt after even 10 mins play and i have big hands to fit the controller but everything feels like its in the wrong place. And the shoulder buttons are terrible. Y microsoft chose to do wat sega did on the dreamcast's controller i dont know. But then again the dual shock isnt that good and thats y the ps3 controller is ridiculously stupid. they still haven't moved the analogue stick to where the d pad is and plus it looks like a girl would be shoving it up her pussy.

It's not a matter of how well it fits my hand, it's a matter of not randomly changing stuff around and unorganizing it so that every time a new system comes out, there's a new button layout to get used to. I don't understand why Nintendo changed their controllers the way they did. The ones they had before worked just fine. The only change they really needed was to add some more buttons. I use the RetroCon because it's based off of an NES controller... the NES was my favorite system ever, and I love nostalgia. I was still used to it after many years of not playing the NES at all. Using the analog sticks felt very weird, and the L1 and L2/R1 and R2 being side by side instead of above or below each other took some getting used to, but now that I'm used to it, I love it.

I've NEVER had to use both L or both R buttons at the same time, but I still love them. I love the PS2 controller. So many buttons in such a small package... and just because there are a lot doesn't mean they all have to be used, but that they CAN if need be... which is really good. I'd rather have a game that uses a lot of buttons than one that has a lot of functions that are taken out becuase the controller doesn't have enough buttons to handle them all... or being forced to use some retarded button combo to perform certain functions.

Hmmm Starfox 2 or Halo 3, that will be a tough decision ;)

not really. Starfox 2 all the way.

I'd have to say this generation was a bit of a letdown too... There were a few great games, a lot of crapfests with good graphics. Squaresoft merged with Enix, and since then, "square-enix" hasn't been making anything good(they took a great game like musashi and made it like most other action RPG's... a pile of the same mediocre crap)... Everything is mediocre at best. The only highlights of this generation for me were Kingdom Hearts, TimeSplitters 2, TimeSplitters 3, SOCOM 2(only for a little while though), DBZ Budokai 2(not much of a highlight, I was just really happy to have a decent DBZ fighting game... although it definitely still needs work), and the MadCatz RetroCon(I love this thing to death).

The previous generation was SO much better... Twisted Metal 2, FF7, FF9, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger PSX version with new anime cutscenes, Tobal No. 1, Tobal 2, Ehrgeiz, Brave Fencer Musashi, Jet Moto, Jet Moto 2(only racing games I really like), Rogue Trip, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Critical Depth... There are a lot more really great games that came out last generation, but for some reason, I can't think of them right now... and most of them were better than the few highlights I mentioned from this generation.

It's not a matter of how well it fits my hand, it's a matter of not randomly changing stuff around and unorganizing it so that every time a new system comes out, there's a new button layout to get used to. I don't understand why Nintendo changed their controllers the way they did. The ones they had before worked just fine. The only change they really needed was to add some more buttons. I use the RetroCon because it's based off of an NES controller... the NES was my favorite system ever, and I love nostalgia. I was still used to it after many years of not playing the NES at all. Using the analog sticks felt very weird, and the L1 and L2/R1 and R2 being side by side instead of above or below each other took some getting used to, but now that I'm used to it, I love it.

Times move on.

Have you changed your mind on wireless pads yet btw?

I'd rather have a game that uses a lot of buttons than one that has a lot of functions that are taken out becuase the controller doesn't have enough buttons to handle them all... or being forced to use some retarded button combo to perform certain functions.

Try playing "wing commander" on the SNES.

I really can't understand why you think that Gamecube Controllers feel "cheap" or as if they are about to break. I think they feel a lot more sturdy than the Dual Shock, I always thought THAT thing would break soon.... I think the GC Controller is one of the best designs on a console controller ever: All buttons are easily reachable and while I was really unsure about that large A button, I have come to like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back