Nintendo Wii U

If Nintendo re-released Skyward Sword with updated graphics, more dungeons(harder too), and got rid of those horrible motion controls I'd buy a WII U.

that is ridiculous.

I'm wanting to play the Mario game on U though
Yeah, so am I. Sadly, I don't we'll see that happening before mid to late 2014 at the earliest, and Zelda will be even later, but we may see Mario KartU by late 2013 to early 2014.

Chris

I got one of these Wii U now.

Still have my original Wii too, as it has the HBC installed using Letterbomb, so I run emu on this, mainly Megadrive.

Just been reading a bit to see if I can get HBC and my emus onto the Wii U console, so I can put the original Wii in its box.

Seems it can be done, though not with Letterbomb, for the Wii U the games like Batman LEGO or Smash Bros have to be used instead.

Any Wii U owners done this?

Wondering a few things:

...If only planning on getting the HBC on so install emus, no installing of other Wads, which I think caries some risk. Is this safe in terms of bricking?

...Does this still keep the Wii U fully operational, in terms of accessing and purchasing from the Wii U Store on the tablet controller?

...Can emu games be played on the tablet controller, I mean viewed on its screen?

I've only played a couple of games, the old Mario Bros and the downloaded demo of Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed ... is decent though, I'm liking this console.

Of course, I would love to be able to fire up some Megadrive classics from this too, for when I fancy a dose of Shinobi or Strider :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo have got very wise with regards to modding of their hardware - the 3DS is constantly getting updates to prevent R4 type cards working. The modders often aren't far behind, but it can take a few days or even weeks to get them working again. I don't know about WiiU, but I suspect that Nintendo will guard that fiercely against modding, although there have been relatively few updates of the hardware so far. I'm not willing to wave goodbye to a machine within warranty period by trying a mod - even though I'm really itching too, especially since I ripped all my Wii games to HD.

yeah I'm kind of the same, don't really want to risk bricking it ... Think I will wait a little while then give it a go.

Have 2 wii u games : black ops 2 and nintendo land . loving it . Using it more for netflix even as I type this .

I have Nintendo Land but not loaded it up yet even.

Just been on Mario game, completed the story mode but still got to get some star coins to unlock the levels on Rainbow Star World or whatever its called.

Can you view the Netflix on the controller screen?

I've got Zombi U, NintendoLand and DarkSiders II.

Zombi U is cool, but not played it for a while. NintendoLand is definitely better than the sum of its parts. Some of the games are totally ace. I love Pikmin and Yoshi Cart, but Metroid is also great.

DarkSiders II was only £17 brand new from Zavvi Outlet on eBay and it's awesome. It really is Zelda-like, and I mean REALLY. Very cool and a total bargain.

ZombiU is fun while killing zombies, but the price of failure is too high for my liking. I'd prefer to just have to restart from last save as normal than the way they did it. Also they forgot the #1 rule about cutscenes: you should always be able to skip them. I watched that opening scene half a dozen times just trying to figure out what I was supposed to do before giving up and just continuing as the second person.

My eventual rage-quit was when I died returning to the safehouse and immediately found myself back at the safehouse listening to the prepper say "welcome back, now I'll show you how to use this thing that'll be immensly helpful apparently" *pause* "Hoards of zombies are coming, prepare yourself". Because I had just "respawned" at the safehouse I had no ammo, no boards, no idea what was going on, and died. Respawned, and they were still there. In theory I could have ran out, killed a couple, died, and repeated the process to slowly whittle them down, but I shouldn't have to. It was a poorly planned encounter and I had no interest in carrying on with it.

I'm still waiting on some proper software and a price drop. At this point, either one could happen before the other.

Unless Nintendo has some killer AAA title that they haven't announced and it's due by the holidays(2013), I don't see myself getting one this year. I'm sure they'll show some Mario Kart, Zelda and Smash Brothers at E3, but those games will be almost 12-24 months away at best, and if the last Mario Kart is anything to go by, I won't be bothering getting the WiiU version.

I personally see the WiiU going the N64 and GameCube routes. It will sell to the core Nintendo audience, but nothing like the Wii sold. I know many will say that they turned around the 3DS, so they can do the same with the WiiU. This may happen, but I just don't see it(I would love to be proven wrong though).

The WiiU is just to "same like" to the current competition, and they are cheaper and offer vast libraries of games and a much better gaming experiences overall(the lack of a proper account system still boggles my mind). With the current new gen around the corner(and with tablets and phones eroding the current market), I just don't see this doing great numbers long term. The new gen of consoles may suffer the same fate if they don't offer anything all that great over current gen.

I'm currently happy with my current line up of systems, with no plans to upgrade any of them anytime soon.

Chris

Re: Zombi U - I didn't bother restarting after the first death - I knew it was inevitable; really there was no way to get out of that situation as a new player. You learn skills later that might be able to keep you alive longer (if you replay), but really, I think you are expected to die pretty early on.

I must admit, the gamepad is surprisingly bad for inventory management in that game - it's very unintuitive and user-unfriendly. It could and should have been much better.

I did like many aspects of the game, although some of it was like WTF? I still prefer the Resident Evil games to Zombi U.(well upto 6 anyway - that was shite). I was also shocked at how not-great the graphics are - screenshots and vids of the game made it look a lot better than it really is. It's definitely not a £40+ worthy game. Half that, maybe.

Re; Wii U - I don't see Nintendo changing the current situation anytime soon, even with a price drop. The lack of games - Nintendo and Third Party, is really killing sales. There is good stuff on the horizon, but too little and too far away. The only Wii U game I definitely plan to buy in the next 6 months is Pikmin3. I've always loved the Pikmin games, so that's a no-brainer for me. Other than that... Ummm.

Games available is a bit shocking, I go into local shop and the rack for Wii U is about 5 games only.. clearly poor library.

They need to correct that eh

More of the cheaper games would be good too, like Puddle, which I rate.

What I'd really like is for a lot more of the NES and SNES titles to be released for a bit cheaper than the current ones available through, to play those all on the tablet screen and telly would be a winner for me, I'd buy up a load of them again.

True though, most people considering buying the console are probably seeing the range of games on offer and thinking "no thanks maybe later"

Yeah I know :)

I missed it though, I only picked up my Wii U a couple days after that offer expired, gutted, and its still not available yet for the normal price. I'm waiting.

I picked up Punch Out for 30p and will get the next ones in that sale, can't sleep on those at 30p eh

So... what's today's new update saying, anyone d/l it yet?

I'm keen to but in hospital away from my Wii at moment.

Virtual Console now available I heard, with 7 games in UK on launch, including Donkey Kong Jr. Mario World and FZero ;) all playable on the tablet controller too which sounds great to me.

Faster boot up, ability to boot straight to Wii Mode, undo/redo in miiverse drawings. Multiple downloads simultaneously, background downloading..

Wondered if anyone checked this and noted the speed difference

If you watched the recent Nintendo Direct you would have seen a video relating to the Wii U update and the difference in loading times - it's not that big a difference, but welcome none-the-less. The other things are of limited importance to me TBH.

Not updated yet; probably tomorrow.

Just watched the relevant parts of the recent Nintendo Direct on YT... I've completely missed all these in the past. Now I have the Wii U I'll have to follow these, seem pretty good content from that one I just see at least.

Luigi DLC looks good too, I'll be getting that

So the news just keeps getting worse for the Wii U.  First it was game developers abandoning it, then the news they are still making a loss on each unit

And recently they announced they had only sold 160,000 Wii U's in the last quarter globally.  I had thought they would drop the price of the Wii U just before the launch of the PS4 , but if they are making a loss on each console, I can't see how they can do that.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-07-nintendo-still-selling-wii-u-at-a-loss

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/6/4593698/nintendo-annual-report-30-year-console-sales

http://www.slashgear.com/wii-u-hardware-limitations-count-console-out-for-bethesda-games-07293113/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/08/07/no-upcoming-bethesda-titles-for-wii-u-due-to-nintendos-hardware/

So the news just keeps getting worse for the Wii U.  First it was game developers abandoning it, then the news they are still making a loss on each unit

And recently they announced they had only sold 160,000 Wii U's in the last quarter globally.  I had thought they would drop the price of the Wii U just before the launch of the PS4 , but if they are making a loss on each console, I can't see how they can do that.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-07-nintendo-still-selling-wii-u-at-a-loss

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/6/4593698/nintendo-annual-report-30-year-console-sales

http://www.slashgear.com/wii-u-hardware-limitations-count-console-out-for-bethesda-games-07293113/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/08/07/no-upcoming-bethesda-titles-for-wii-u-due-to-nintendos-hardware/

Oh that makes me a sad bunny... I do want to get one but they need some killer games and I need some cash and extra freetime...

Back