Nintendo's "Piracy" Stance.

The 3DS piracy what-not is done with firmware, as long as you've got the system as normal and no custom firmware, with the cart recognition, the 3DS logs everything you load in the cart slot and play, and if you use an R4DS card or anything like that the system will brick itself on the next firmware update. Although seeing how sony never really contained the custom firmware stuff on the PSP I wonder how successful Nintendo will be.

^ That's seriously not accurate at all. ;) There is no bricking going on, there is none on record, and the most recent statement from Nintendo themselves on the matter is (as it has previously been);

We did not take down any Nintendo 3DS systems. Some system updates for Nintendo 3DS contain functions to fight piracy, in which some functions will be disabled if the system has located an unauthorized device.

This is exactly as the terms state, too. I have no idea why people seem to think that the systems will get bricked - I can only assume that some sensationalists mangled what was actually stated.

I do agree on your point about containing it, though. I somehow doubt it will be completely possible, if at all... :p That said, though, as with the PSP, I suspect that it's something that the vast majority of people will simply never care about, let alone hear of.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly as the terms state, too. I have no idea why people seem to think that the systems will get bricked - I can only assume that some sensationalists mangled what was actually stated.
Engrish. Some poorly translated warning labels early in the 3DSs life. The actual text of the warning said (in Japanese) "If you install unauthorized software, there is a chance that a future upgrade may cause your system to fail." Basically just covering themselves, warning that third party softwares may modify things in a way that could prevent a system upgrade from completing. Makes sense to me.

Through bad translation and paranoia, this became "if you install unauthorized software, Nintendo will remote into your 3DS, disable it completely, kidnap your wife, rape your dog, and sign you up for several of-the-month clubs"

You get zapped and taken into a room MIB style, lol.

http://kotaku.com/5803341/nintendo-might-be-taking-this-whole-anti+piracy-thing-a-little-far

dspiracy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole bricking thing was info from our Nintendo rep, but that was pre release so it sounds like they changed their policies, naughty me for not keeping up.

The whole bricking thing was info from our Nintendo rep, but that was pre release so it sounds like they changed their policies, naughty me for not keeping up.
Are you absolutely certain? If it's the same "rep" that I heard from, then it was the same mistranslation and paranoia fueled internet chatter. I've never heard anyone officially from Nintendo saying it will brick your system using third party applications.

Back