Release Njam (pacman style game with a few twists)

Gausen

Njam is a pacman clone by Milan Babuskov (and contributions from other devs as well).

The binaries where compiled with Freamon's C/C++/Py Development Tools, fullscreen is achieved with Notaz SDL and the pnd was packaged with foxblock's PNDTools.

Enjoy! (and leave feedback). [on repo now]

njam.pnd

Attachments

• njam.pnd
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:
There are a bunch of consoles that had Pac Man that can run on the Pandora. Why go to the effort of making this?

There are a bunch of consiles that had Pac Man that can run on the Pandora. Why go to the effort of making this?

That's true. It was just porting, nothing really demanding. Never the less it was a good experience because there where some folders to fix and several ways to do it.

Why not ?

That's also true.

We hadn't Njam.

Finally this reason is as good as any. Thank you Linux-SWAT for your comments.

I'm trying to learn about game programming and giving something (very small indeed) in return while I'm at it.

Well, I'd rather someone who has the coding skill be working on something we don't already have

Everybody is free to do what they like and what matches their skilllevel.

I did a lot of ports, too but I am not able to write an emulator or something.

More software is always good and I like this one :)

Had a quick play of this - it's good fun. Totally worth the effort porting it, in my opinion.

Some suggestions:

1) Can you change player 2's controls to ABXY? (Or just somewhere further over to the right of the keyboard)

2) Edit the PXML to add a Game subcategory (it currently shows up in "Other")

3) Strip the binary to reduce pnd size

Thanks Freamon!

1) Can you change player 2's controls to ABXY? (Or just somewhere further over to the right of the keyboard)

Yes. Maybe I'll add some usb joystick support too.

2) Edit the PXML to add a Game subcategory (it currently shows up in "Other")

Ok. I totally miss that.

3) Strip the binary to reduce pnd size

I can do that, but I don't think it will make the pnd smaller. The binary is 200kB. The bigger part is game data (about 3MB).

Well, I'd rather someone who has the coding skill be working on something we don't already have

More software is always good and I like this one :)/>

Obviously I have no means to dictate others in what they do. I fully agree with you. It just seems so strange to me to go to the effort of doing this

More software is always good and I like this one :)/>

Obviously I have no means to dictate others in what they do. I fully agree with you. It just seems so strange to me to go to the effort of doing this

While it may seem strange - you could say the same thing about writing any software and releasing it for free. People just enjoy doing so at some level.

Just because there are many Pacman clones - doesn't mean that someone won't get the urge to write another one - simply for the learning experience.

As Mcobit says - some people don't know enough to focus their time elsewhere and can only port software as opposed to create software from scratch. To give a personal example - I can design and code games (admittedly I seem to have a time problem recently) but I could not write an emulator... I would love to improve N64 emulation, but due to my lack of knowledge in this area, I cannot do anything about it. This applies to many people on different levels.

It just seems so strange to me to go to the effort of doing this

Gausen may of just liked this game.. I Ported Digger and old DOS game from 1983, spent a hell of a time getting the sound working properly.. one could argue I could of just played it in DOSbox.. People just do projects they like, these things exercise programming skills and such so I don't see it as a wasted effort.

This is one of the few pacman clones that is open source (GPL) and probably the only one available for Linux worth playing.

Ok. I included the changes suggested by Freamon and failed miserably at adding joystick support. I'm uploading this new version to the repo as it is (and leave joysticks for the future).

FYI its not a complete clone of PacMan. It has its own challenges and only like Pac Man in game play (somewhat), not a clone. We are talking apples and oranges here.

FYI its not a complete clone of PacMan. It has its own challenges and only like Pac Man in game play (somewhat), not a clone. We are talking apples and oranges here.

That's true, it have some common elements with pacman and many differences with it.

Thank you Link, PokeParadox, TrashyMG, b_o_b and Wally for your comments. A few days ago Seeeejaaaay and I talked by PM, so everything is fine.

Back