No MIDI players?

The free SDK does not have the MIDI playing capabilities. They were supposed to be in there, but for some reason gamepark did not include them in the current version.

I think I might have come up with a way to make it do-able, but of course, I don't have the skills - or the source - to add to.

MikMod, its been mentioned, supports XM files.
XM files containt the samples they're using.
So what you do is create 1 XM file with 128 instruments in, roughly parallelingn the General Midi set.
Each instrument would only have a scale from, say, 4 octaves below middle C to 4 octaves above middle C wthin that file.

What you then have, effectively, is a wavetable you can use to play midis. I.E. A midi file is read, a note is seen, and since the XM is a solid-state file in that its always going to contain the same data, its pretty easy to work out where that note is within the XM file. And you play that and loop the sound long enough to get the same length of note in the mid.

Any points on whether this would work (apart, of course, from the fact that mikmod is closed source; although I'm told CHN may be planning to add XM support to his mod-library sometime in the future)? Only problem I can see with it is a potentially huge file with all the samples in, but even then I doubt it'd be too bad considering the length of most of them. The reason, btw, I say use XM files over standard MOD files is because they can have a lot more channels. 16, in fact. Like midi. Whereas mod only has 4, so you could easily run into a few problems using that for conversion.

Just as a side-note, btw, there's already a few tools to convert midis to XMs, so I know its possible to do. None of them come with a sample-library though, so you have to spend ages looking, and all tasks have to be done on the PC.

Do you know how to convert MIDIs to MP3s? I thought it involved turning them into WAVs and then turning them into MP3s. But I have no idea how to do this. I tried some freeware programs but, I couldn't get anything to work. Please Help!!

There are alot of ways to convert midi to mp3 but i wont go into great detail on that. (since i use soundfonts, i just use creative recorder to record the midi to a wave, then use cdex to convert to mp3) How about if you just convert your midi to a mod. I know that there are tools out there...

Back