No More 275mhz Units?

As it stands you are coming across as a lone, bitter little man, with a venomous hatred towards Craig, who's poor programming skills have left you with an unworkable product.
What the hell do you think Craig programmed? Nearly none of the problems I have with the GP2X involve software. And Craig didn't write the firmware, if that's what you're talking about. All he does is sell systems. Do you even have any idea what you're talking about?

Oh, and you guys telling me I'm a soulless husk of a man screaming in blind rage at anyone who'll listen are completely full of it. I find this argument #1, moderately interesting, and #2 extremely funny. That's it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I sincerely hope you are being deliberately obtuse. In case your reading and comprehension skills are as poor as your response indicates I will rephrase :

You are coming across as a lone, bitter little man whos poor programming skills have left you with an unworkable product. You also seem to harbour a venomous hatred towards Craig.

How about enlightening us as to what exactly Craig has done to 'the many' he has screwed over and why they are not adding their voices to to your public spirited exposé ? So far it is somewhat lacking in solid facts and seems to be a lot of 'I'd believe it' and 'Likely so. In fact, almost definitely so' statements designed to make the man look bad.

How people can justify false and misleading advertising amazes me, when the law states that gp2x.co.uk is in the wrong.

UK law states that the goods you buy.

Must be as they are described by the seller, or on the package or display sign - if a shirt is said to be 100 per cent cotton it mustn't be made of polyester.

Hi, I'm new here, I've just checked back in because I'm excited about receiving my gp2x. Wasn't the thread about 275 mhz units and not who has shafted who?

It's just a £125 handheld games machine! Some of you guys and gals have so much anger. If I find the gp2x good fun then good on you GPH, otherwise I'll stick it in a drawer, ride my motorbike and later hug a tree because life is good.

And for a totally new take on things......... When I came home tonight I had horse shit on my boots, but I don't blame my horse, I should have looked where I was going!
My horse is a rare Eriskay stallion of which there are only a dozen or so left in the world so I'm actually priviledged to walk in his shit, his shit is special. He doesn't know his shit is special, and the supermarket that got his shit in footprints doesn't know it either - but I do and now so do you.
It's still shit but to me and a lot of other people just the fact that we still have this shit makes the world a better place.

I'm still looking forward to my gp2x, and I still feel good that it should go at 275 not 200.....

How people can justify false and misleading advertising amazes me, when the law states that gp2x.co.uk is in the wrong.

Sure, so what exactly do they violate?

This is all it says on the site:

"Want more power?
The Power pack is the same as above but runs at 270MHZ and comes with a Screen Protector."

How is that false or misleading? It *does* run at 270mhz, you can set every single program to run at that speed if you want.

And for a totally new take on things......... When I came home tonight I had horse shit on my boots, but I don't blame my horse, I should have looked where I was going!
My horse is a rare Eriskay stallion of which there are only a dozen or so left in the world so I'm actually priviledged to walk in his shit, his shit is special. He doesn't know his shit is special, and the supermarket that got his shit in footprints doesn't know it either - but I do and now so do you.
It's still shit but to me and a lot of other people just the fact that we still have this shit makes the world a better place.

I'm still looking forward to my gp2x, and I still feel good that it should go at 275 not 200.....

:lol:

Best analogy i`ve heard in a while, And made me smile too, No shit. :D

EDIT: And Girls, Put your handbags down, And behave like good little children. Else Keys will be used and thread will be LOCKED.

Trooper

Let me start out by saying I'm very satisfied with my GP2X. I want this community and the sales of the GP2X to be viewed from the most positive perspective possible. That being said: the misleading part is on the gp2x.co.uk site, plain as day:

http://gp2x.co.uk/ordergp2x.html

What's in the box?
240Mhz GP2X Console MK2 (Latest version)
GP2X Console Value Pack

The Power pack is the same as above but runs at 270MHZ and comes with a Screen Protector.
270Mhz GP2X Power Pack

I'm professionally employeed in a marketing position, so I believe I have something of an educated perspective on this. The GP2X's official specifications (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X#Specifications) state quite plainly that the device is rated at 200mhz. It is misleading for anyone to suggest to potentially uninformed buyers that the GP2X is something other than 200mhz (out of the box). Of course it can be overclocked. Does the total newbie know this? Probably not at first, and this could lead to a disappointed GP2X owner thinking he got less than what he purchased.

Both of these descriptions could be rewritten very easily: "200Mhz (overclockable to 240Mhz) GP2X Console MK2 (latest version)" and "The Power pack is the same as above but is overclockable to 270MHZ and comes with a Screen Protector".

Craig, I think you stand to benefit here by listening to the community on this. Why even suggest a shadow of deceptive sales practices?

I totally agree!

Craig, just add the letters OC to the product ID for anything over 200MHz and add the word "over-clocked" where it applies and your butt is covered! Plus, this thread can be put to rest as well. :) :) :)

You are coming across as a lone, bitter little man whos poor programming skills have left you with an unworkable product. You also seem to harbour a venomous hatred towards Craig.
I'm not going to have my programming skills brought into question by someone with a Bambi avatar and a furry member name who has probably never even written a Hello World application and could not code their way out of a wet paper bag to save their life. I'd also love to know what programming skill has to do with a broken stick, incompatible screen, faulty soldering, misaligned PCBs, shoddy plastics, overly-malleable battery terminals, scaler and TV encoder ICs with exessive current draw, faulty power subsystems, mechanically inconsistent shoulder buttons and carbon membranes, and incorrect-value LCD backlight resistor selection. Do you even know what half of these things are? I'd put money on 'no'. You're out of your league, go talk about emulators and Vektar. Or Disney DVDs.

I'm not going to have my programming skills brought into question by someone with a Bambi avatar and a furry member name who has probably never even written a Hello World application and could not code their way out of a wet paper bag to save their life. I'd also love to know what programming skill has to do with a broken stick, incompatible screen, faulty soldering, misaligned PCBs, shoddy plastics, overly-malleable battery terminals, scaler and TV encoder ICs with exessive current draw, faulty power subsystems, mechanically inconsistent shoulder buttons and carbon membranes, and incorrect-value LCD backlight resistor selection. Do you even know what half of these things are? I'd put money on 'no'. You're out of your league, go talk about emulators and Vektar. Or Disney DVDs.

:rolleyes: Don't resort to undeserved personal attacks please, it makes you look bad.

That link on the reg doesn't look like a referral link to me, the referral links to craig's site look different, don't remember the exact format right now but that definitely wasn't it... besides, the front page for craig's site is (or appears to be) static html, so it can't process that GET field, and there isn't any javascript to process it either. So I think that being a referral link is very unlikely.

broken stick, incompatible screen, faulty soldering, misaligned PCBs, shoddy plastics, overly-malleable battery terminals, scaler and TV encoder ICs with exessive current draw, faulty power subsystems, mechanically inconsistent shoulder buttons and carbon membranes, and incorrect-value LCD backlight resistor selection.

Almost all of that is nonsense, and most of those judgements are made from your Mk1 unit, which is now irrelevant. Perhaps your unit is actually faulty, like several Mk1s were?

I can tell you my Mk2 does not have a broken stick, the soldering is without fault, the plastic is solid, the battery terminals have never moved out of place (though I'm aware this happens when people *drop* the unit), and the shoulder buttons are the best I've ever used on a handheld (and I've used 'em all). The excessive current draw issue was solved a few firmwares ago (IIRC you said recently you never upgraded from FW1.4), which is why we saw a large jump in battery life.

Please explain exactly how the Mk2's power subsystem is faulty, and how that effects usage?

How exactly is the Mk2 screen "incompatible?" Again, perhaps your Mk1 screen is faulty.

"incorrect-value LCD backlight resistor selection" This is the only "fault" I cannot comment on, but since I've never experienced such an issue with my own unit (the LCD backlight is among the best I've ever seen), I can only imagine it's an obsolete comment referring to the Mk1?

Remember, just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's broken.

And yes, the Mk1 had several issues, but how is that relevant to someone wanting to buy a new Mk2 GP2X? That's like saying you shouldn't buy a DS because it's too heavy, ignoring the fact that the current units are Lite.

:rolleyes: Don't resort to undeserved personal attacks please, it makes you look bad.

That link on the reg doesn't look like a referral link to me, the referral links to craig's site look different, don't remember the exact format right now but that definitely wasn't it... besides, the front page for craig's site is (or appears to be) static html, so it can't process that GET field, and there isn't any javascript to process it either. So I think that being a referral link is very unlikely.

Those personal attacks were completely deserved. He was responding to being called a lone, bitter little man. Thats just a messed up thing to say. A few shots at the rediculousness of the persons avatar, name etc. look like nothing compared to that. Though I too get mad at epicenters posts (cause i luv my 2x too much), I dont think he goes about them in an immature way at all. I haven't seen anything good come from epicenter but that doesn't make him a poor programmer neccesarily, however if he wants his game on a handheld then he shouldn't hold his breath for the xgp which leaves only the gp2x as a open handheld, maybe he should take another look at the 2x and try to find some positive stuff. Btw epicenter i know u hate the 2x's hardware but do u still ever use urs for emulators etc.?

I'm sorry, I didn't think either personal attack was a good idea, but not responding would have been the better option IMO, particularly for a well-established member of the site like Epicenter. Whatever :)

Almost all of that is nonsense, and most of those judgements are made from your Mk1 unit, which is now irrelevant. Perhaps your unit is actually faulty, like several Mk1s were?
For use in a game device, the stick is broken. It is the same one in MK1 and MK2.

I can tell you my Mk2 does not have a broken stick, the soldering is without fault, the plastic is solid, the battery terminals have never moved out of place (though I'm aware this happens when people *drop* the unit), and the shoulder buttons are the best I've ever used on a handheld (and I've used 'em all). The excessive current draw issue was solved a few firmwares ago (IIRC you said recently you never upgraded from FW1.4), which is why we saw a large jump in battery life.
I don't care if GPH has better soldering in the MK2. They didn't provide a free replacement for MK1 users, and MK1 users have broken products. The plastic is solid but of low quality. A lot like that used in bootleg toys. The shoulder buttons and carbon-membrane buttons are usually of differing stiffness and sensitivity, giving an uneven and unbalanced feel.

I don't know what you're talking about the 'current draw issue being fixed'-- the scaler and TV-output encoder are devices meant to be used in an AC-brick powered unit, not a battery powered one. Consequently, they are mostly useless in a portable device and send power consumption through the roof when utilized, especially together. This issue is impossible to fix in software. If you were told a new firmware version fixed this, you were lied to. The last firmware I used was v2.0.0. Battery life was mostly the same between v1.4 (and earlier versions) and v2.0.0.

Please explain exactly how the Mk2's power subsystem is faulty, and how that effects usage?
It doesn't affect usage, it affects battery life. It's an inefficient design that poorly utilizes the maximum capacity of the cells. It's laid out more like an AC-powered unit. This is why there is no means to switch cleanly between Battery and AC-brick power without the whole system losing power, or the machine's power subsystem being severely damaged. This makes sense since GPH copied MagicEyes' design for the simple MMSP2/MP2520F example platform instead of engineering their own system. They just didn't consider the hardware in that design was very poor for mobile use.

How exactly is the Mk2 screen "incompatible?" Again, perhaps your Mk1 screen is faulty.
The MK1's display is completely incompatible with the MMSP2/MP2520F's LCD controller. This is what causes the scanline issues described ad nauseum on this forum. The MK2's display has its own problems like poor viewing range that are not as severe. Again, MK2's superiority in this regard is irrelevant due to the penetration of MK1s into the market and failure by GPH to replace the defective units (all of them).

"incorrect-value LCD backlight resistor selection" This is the only "fault" I cannot comment on, but since I've never experienced such an issue with my own unit (the LCD backlight is among the best I've ever seen), I can only imagine it's an obsolete comment referring to the Mk1?
Many MK1s had this issue, which causes the backlight brightness to change constantly, like a strange strobe light. At any rate, the backlight in the GP2X's displays is primitive and simplistic. Take a look at a transflective display for an example of a high quality backlight design. I will give you this, GP2X displays are bright. Don't confuse that with 'high quality'.

I described design faults. Not liking the color or finding the shape of the unit would be issues of opinion. I am discussing engineering fact.

And yes, the Mk1 had several issues, but how is that relevant to someone wanting to buy a new Mk2 GP2X? That's like saying you shouldn't buy a DS because it's too heavy, ignoring the fact that the current units are Lite.
The DS' issues, being large, heavy and unwieldy, did not impact its functionality in any regard. So it doesn't make sense to replace them. MK2 is not an evolution of the GP2X's design, it's a partial fix for faulty hardware. The only way to absolve GPH's wrongdoing in this issue is to replace every MK1 unit with a fixed model. Selling MK2 for the same price is fraud. I don't care if GPH can't afford to do this. If they can't stand behind their products, they need to go out of business.

Jackd said:
Those personal attacks were completely deserved. He was responding to being called a lone, bitter little man. Thats just a messed up thing to say. A few shots at the rediculousness of the persons avatar, name etc. look like nothing compared to that. Though I too get mad at epicenters posts (cause i luv my 2x too much), I dont think he goes about them in an immature way at all. I haven't seen anything good come from epicenter but that doesn't make him a poor programmer neccesarily, however if he wants his game on a handheld then he shouldn't hold his breath for the xgp which leaves only the gp2x as a open handheld, maybe he should take another look at the 2x and try to find some positive stuff. Btw epicenter i know u hate the 2x's hardware but do u still ever use urs for emulators etc.?
Thanks for your support. I won't be going back to the GP2X as a development platform. If the XGP does not pan out, the engine I'm working on is still usable on other platforms, including PCs, PocketPCs/Palm units, and some consoles including Dreamcast and XBox. This was a crucial requirement of my selection of language/library to use from the very start- portability to a wide variety of platforms. This makes it even easier to leave the GP2X and not look back. I do not use my GP2X for any purpose, including emulation or media playback.

Dude. I have a MK1. It's not *that* bad...
Agreed. The only gripe I personally had was with the joystick, and that went away almost completely once I used a cap...

Also I DON'T want my MK1 First Edition replaced... I'm proud I had the balls to take on some Beta hardware. The first editions were never intended for mass market, they were for devs, and people that knew what to potentially expect in the way of idiosyncracies to do test and and help iron out problems.
I knew this was the case when I bought my GP2X.

I'd actually like to get a MK2 unit if someone can pre DPAD mod it. Not because I find the stick unusable(Admitedly I've only used my own GP2X) but rather I just prefer DPADs.

I think there is being critical... and there's being a whiny so and so. But I would never pidgeon-hole anyone into a category.

I do not use my GP2X for any purpose, including emulation or media playback.

I'm sorry if this is blunt but why the hell are you here then? It appears your only reason to be here is to put people off of buying a console based purely on design faults that on the whole no longer apply.
Don't get me wrong I think its good to give potential buyers an objective opinion of the positives and negatives of the product but all you have to give are negatives fuelled by a resentment towards GPH and based solely on your own experiences with the 'old' MK1.
Leave it to MK2 owners - or even better people who have experience of both models to give there advice.
Please understand this is not an attack on you, you appear to be a very intelligent person, and I have seen posts from you in other topics where you have really helped people out with your knowledge. Just think it's time to put this topic to rest.

wow, Epicenter, you are a really "intelligent and friendly person".
Why do you spread this BULLSHITT all over again, we had that a few months before in irc.

1. mse makes cpu's with different speed rating, gph always tries to buy lowend ones cause they are cheaper, but often they are not availible so they pick higher rated ones, this is why the clockspeed "fluctuates" so much.

2. a cpu that will clock to 270 mhz is a faster cpu than one wich clocks to 200mhz, whats wrong about that.

3. If something with your unit is not ok you can send it back, if you do so within 14-30 days you get your money back without any questions asked, at least in Europe.

4. your friend that was "ripped" off wasn't, he was told the price before, and paying import taxes is normal when importing, every shop always tells you the price before THEY charge you, if they charge you more just dont pay or revert it.

5. the currency conversion is usaly not done by the shop but by your bank while you transfer the money.

6. the battery live IS 5-10 hours when using sugested 2500mah+ rechargeables, the lowend with standard clock the high end with low clock and tft off, like when you use it as a mp3 player.

7. incompatible: 1. Of two things: impossible to coexist; not congruous because of differences; irreconcilable; disagreeing.
The mk1 screen works yes there are some scanlines that you may or may not get when tweaked right, but you don't have to consider that a fault, maybe it dosnt fit your preference. I have next to no scanlines, and i realy like the screen the way it is.

many MK1s had this issue, which causes the backlight brightness to change constantly, like a strange strobe light.
Not, not many, it where exactly the first 500, and you should have been offered a free fix, if not you should still be able to send it in, just ask your retailer, they will also fix the soldering and other stuff while they are on it.

Back