No-one else should post in a 'Ask Craig Questions' thread?

What do you think?

• Total voters

It depends on the questions. If it's a faq, i can't see why not anyone else could take away some typewrite work for craig.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the questions. If it's a faq, i can't see why not anyone else could take away some typewrite work for craig.

If it's a FAQ, it doesn't belong in that forum anyway - Sony recently moved a question about Playstation 2 emulation from there into general talk.

gfrancisdev said:
pics or it didn't happen

I'm starting to think you've got some geeks-with-shoes-on-their-head thing going on. There's almost certainly a forum in some dark corner of the Intenet that can satisfy you. :p

Not really a bad idea, but bad because even if users turn a question into a discussion, relevant answers are sometimes contributed by other users.

Not really a bad idea, but bad because even if users turn a question into a discussion, relevant answers are sometimes contributed by other users.

And sometimes they're not, sometimes it just degenerates into the usual mess and the original question never gets answered (and never will).

I realise I'm in the minority here, but it seems to me that we've got all these forums on the 'Pandora' part of these boards, and everything over a gp32x aswell, as places to talk to one another, to ask questions, get answers and shoot the shit. But there's one forum that's been specifically set up to ask one man a question, one influential-if-slightly-volatile man, someone who's answers I'd be interested in reading but also someone who doesn't seem to need much provocation to play the role of the victim. So what I'm saying is: maybe stay out of there, huh? There's plenty of other places to start a thread about the topic that can involve everyone (craigix included).

The reaction I'm getting though is as if I've tried to withdraw everyone's inalienable right to post whatever they like wherever they like, regardless of consequence.

It might help if I give a specific example. See: Am I the only person who thinks it would have been better if 'vadsamoht', 'sporkbox' and (maybe even) 'wizardstan' hadn't stuck their oars in? And it's not like the question was purely academic either - a package manager is getting integrated into hotfix6. If it becomes the default method of software distribution (as is usually the case in Linux), then it'll result in the official app-store getting sidelined (not a good thing, whatever your views on it). So what's the answer? Well, we'll never know, because a question about co-developing a unified software-access tool got twisted into an attack on the existence of apps. If you read the whole thread then I think it's clear that Milkshake is proposing a single spec to access all websites, not that his should be the only website (also not a good thing, whatever your views on it). In a simple dialogue between 2 people, any misunderstanding can easily be resolved; as it is now though, any clarification gets buried.

Sorry for ranting (and although I've mentioned names, I really don't mean anything personal against anyone), I'm just having a hard time seeing why this isn't a reasonable request.

Yes I agree and when I have some time I might see if it can be done.

If you want to inject in to my answer then you could start a new thread there (if your point is important).

Often if several people are already arguing in a question I just won't get involved.

The whole section needs tidying.

You know what might be a workable guideline or rule, something similar to what monty said:

I think perhaps it would be best to establish a convention* that the question is asked and no one else posts on that thread until Craig has posted. Then it'd be as normal.

Building on that, perhaps users should not post to the thread till after Craig has responded to the OP, unless they can provide a quote and a link to something Craig already said. After that, others can jump in to ask further questions to clarify the topic.

If you want to inject in to my answer then you could start a new thread there (if your point is important).

Often if several people are already arguing in a question I just won't get involved.

I noticed that early on during the life of that section, non-asking-you-a-question posts got removed until the question had been answered. I haven't done that so far as I wasn't sure on the guidelines for that sectiion, but if you want, I could keep an eye on that on new questions (not too sure what to do with the existing ones with discussions going on - set aside some time and then split them out, maybe?).

Personally, I think that people wanting to expand the scope of the question should be allowed to do that instead of creating additional and almost duplicate threads.

That said, I respect Craigs wishes and won't post any comments there anymore.

I'll do my best to get rid of spam and extreme off-topicness, from now on.

People often reply to the thread not realising they are replying to a question aimed at Craig.

Prefixing '@ Craig' in the thread title would help no end.

^ But the threads are already in a section titled "Ask Craig Questions". :lol:

Back