Nokia moving to WP7

Any Angstrom projects in the pipeline? Angstrom Mobile sounds pretty good to me :D <- not a pandy 2 hint!!!
Pandora's OS is already completely based on Angstrom. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

On another note, this might actually be good for the pandora, at least on the short term. The linux folk are going to want a mobile platform to work on and as Meego is being put on the back burner (remains in development, but not in front line) those people could turn this way for their mobile open source needs. Might. Could. May. It's a possibility, not anything certain. Of course this also gives growth to the proprietary sector, which is of course bad. Just musing the possible effects of this move.
If there's ever a place to tell my life story, it's in response to this comment. Sorry for the TLDR

A long time ago I saw a Palm device and thought it was the coolest thing ever, around 2000. I got a IIIc a year later, then waited about 5 years for Palm to move forward (which they never did until 2009 with the Pre).

In 2005 I finally tried out and switched to Linux, ditching Windows after a decade of slowly built up dislike for Microsoft's products and ethics (or lack thereof). In late 2006 I replaced my Palm device with a Nokia 770. I've waited for Nokia for 5 years in the same way I waited for Palm. I obviously would have bought the N900 right away, but it was $700 CAD at the time and that was insane. At this point, having followed maemo for 5 years, I was disillusioned anyway by Nokia's inability to offer software updates for existing hardware, and the lack of openness in maemo development. There's lots of OSS but the distribution is definitely closed. The software on my N800 was pretty stale at this point (even staler now!).

I started realizing the Pandora was more than vaporware about a year ago, and ordered one in April when concrete plans for mass production appeared. Obviously I wish I could have it sooner rather than later, but finally I'll have a powerful device with a truly desktop-like Linux stack and open distribution development (thanks OPT!). As a bonus, it also will play my favorite retro games. I want to see this device succeed and have descendants, the only shortcoming is a lack of money to move it forward.

It makes me so sick to see this Microsoft lackey preying on a weak Nokia. The release makes no mention about exclusivity, so even if this is successful for Microsoft, Nokia will still be a washed-up has-been when MS stabs them in the back by selling WP7 to any other OEM. It's IBM PCs all over again. I hope the MeeGo related people at Nokia can find a home at Intel or elsewhere. They don't have a future at Nokia. Stephen Elop had this to say:

after the MeeGo related device has shipped, the development team will then "change their focus" moving into research into the "next disruption" for the smartphone market.

Nokia does have good hardware but they blew it on the software side by staying way too focused on symbian.
I totally agree with this. It's hard for me to guess what they were doing, but it seems to me that maemo failed mainly because there weren't enough people on it, although also because the distribution development was too closed.

sad

i think i'm done with nokia.

i hope the n900 i'm using right now to post this message will survive many years, and after that i'll probably end my need for a smartphone...

i will take a small normal phone (like an old nokia ??!! :/) and rely on my future pandora for the rest :)

fu*k... the world is getting worst, i want to go back in the 90's!

or am i just getting old and cant wonder at the world anymore ? ;)

bah

time to sleep, 2:11am...

big kisses

Mac

Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon buddy, Case Western High, I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing!

Got shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate...

I'm still using Altavista (even though it got worse and worse over time...) but only because I hate Google. ^^

Hold on, I have to go check this out... Yup, it really still exists. Wow, now I have to look into Lycos, Excite and Infoseek.

Too little, too late. I think the nail in their grave was attempting to push Symbian on smartphones, and not doing anything with Maemo/Meego + poor implementation of Ovistore.

Symbian shouldn't have been used on anything aside from the <$100 handsets.

not doing anything with Maemo/Meego
It wasn't ready for prime time. The plan was to not bring another half-baked product to the market.

I think the nail in their grave was attempting to push Symbian on smartphones
This sounds a bit like you're repeating comments on engadget :p . Can you point out why symbian is so bad? It's the most mature mobile OS in use, has least bloat, good support for developers to create fast programs and with Qt, create them easily. The UI can of course be "modernified", like they were starting to do with S^3, but the OS itself is for mobile use. Good power management features, small footprint, loads of ready features. And somehow it's always the worst mobile OS in the world. I've always thought three groups of people say this: a] people who equate UI with OS (UI can be changed without changing OS), b] people who have programmed for symbian pre-Qt (It's hard. But Qt makes all the difference), c] people who just repeat other people's opinions for whatever reasons.

I have no strings attached to symbian myself, but I'd like to know where all this hate is coming from :)

EDIT: stupid smilies mess up my b )

Last edited by a moderator:
Too little, too late. I think the nail in their grave was attempting to push Symbian on smartphones, and not doing anything with Maemo/Meego + poor implementation of Ovistore.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with pushing symbian onto higher end devices, just they should have re-wrote the GUI for it and tried to port changes down to older devices too.

11x0211nokiaconcept.jpg

Some how I do think windows will appeal to the not so smart-phone oriented market, the guys that are not 'hip' enough to every buy an apple and that dont even know what android is.

I was hoping for MeeGo with a device with full qwerty physical keyboard. Like the E90 which I have. Rather then the N900, which I also have, where I find the keyboard a tad bit too small.

I was eyeballing the E7 as in between gadget and I could've dealt with Symbian^3 as I stil have the N900 as play around device. But with Symbian dying of now that phone is way too high in price range to invest in something Nokia isn't going to invest in anymore.

If they bring out the E7 with WM7 I'll probably go for it just to mess around with windows.

I might come of as a bit of a Nokia fanboy but these are the only Nokia's I've ever owned. I used to love Sony and later Sony-Ericsson but they don't make phones in the form factor I want. I have no problem switching to any other manufacturer.

I prefer clamshell with relatively big keyboard. I even had the HTC clamshell with the touchscreen that you could swithel around so it would be like a tablet and the big keyboard. Still have it somewhere, should dig it up to see if I can get WM 6,5 running on it. B)

Android I don't like that much. I somehow get itches on all the wrong places when I see how I get forced to do stuff. Like a Gmail account, putting all my info in the cloud on Google servers. Not being allowed to sync over USB cable with Outlook (I know HTC allows you to do this through their software but Android itself won't).

I bought a Samsung Galaxy i7500 2nd hand for my better half and I couldn't even download software for Win7 (let alone 64bit which I use) to get upgrades. I need to get to a Vista or XP system to do that. I realise that I should blame Samsung for that but I think Android should force their manufacturers to at least have a basic level of support and I think being able to use Win7 is that. I'm getting her an iPhone4 now as I think she'll be happier with that and I'm going to overclock the shit out of that little Samsung and fry the f#@*er whilst I force Android 2.2 on it. (will not go further then 1.5 now)It'll go down in a blaze of glory :lol:

I understand Nokia's move and I would've hated it if they went to Android. People want choice and I don't think a lot of Android users were waiting for Nokia to come sell them phones. I do think a lot of Nokia users are waiting for Nokia to have an OS which will give them all the cool apps their friends are one upping them with.

Also on an enterprise level it makes sense. WM7 allows IT departments control over the devices like Blackberry where as with Android it's quite the opposite. I haven't heared Elop or Balmer mentioning it but I have a sneaking suspicion they are also aiming bigtime at the RIM marketshare and trying to retake a dominant position as the number one serious business device and OS.

I really hope it works out for them as competition is good. I'm still hoping for a sexy MeeGo device somewhere in the future but I'll not be holding my breath for it. The N900 gets replaced as my main phone anytime between now and however long it takes for the device I think wins it for me at the MWC gets to the market. I think the next MeeGo phone will be somewhere 2012 maybe if the OS takes off on tablets but that is wild speculation on my side.

I was done with Nokia when I was away on business and lost my charger and could not find a replacement for the life of me. Everywhere kept saying they didn't carry Nokia's proprietary connector. I eventually found one at a stall in a flea market near the hotel I was staying at. It came in a ziplock bag, but then again so did the rest of his "merchandise".

That wasn't the big problem though. The reason I decided to dump Nokia was when I sent them an email detailing my exploits and asking if they had plans to rectify the situation, possibly by moving to mini or micro USB just like every other phone had been doing. The response was basically no, they had no such plans, they would continue to use the same proprietary connector as they always did. It was at that point that I decided that Nokia was a company incapable of evolution and time to move on. Now I've got an LG with Android and I am happy. If I ever lose my charger, I can get a new one at the dollar store if nowhere else.

I was done with Nokia when I was away on business and lost my charger and could not find a replacement for the life of me. Everywhere kept saying they didn't carry Nokia's proprietary connector. I eventually found one at a stall in a flea market near the hotel I was staying at. It came in a ziplock bag, but then again so did the rest of his "merchandise".

That wasn't the big problem though. The reason I decided to dump Nokia was when I sent them an email detailing my exploits and asking if they had plans to rectify the situation, possibly by moving to mini or micro USB just like every other phone had been doing. The response was basically no, they had no such plans, they would continue to use the same proprietary connector as they always did. It was at that point that I decided that Nokia was a company incapable of evolution and time to move on. Now I've got an LG with Android and I am happy. If I ever lose my charger, I can get a new one at the dollar store if nowhere else.

Must be some time ago. Any Nokia I've owned has mini/micro usb.

2009, actually.

Hmmm, where do you live? A quick google search suggests this may be a North America thing. Nokia's Europe website has a large selection of phones with micro USB ports on them, but only a dozen on the US website, and 2 years ago it was probably even worse.

mm, strange, but perhaps you're right, it's an american thing.. my french n900 has micro-usb charger :/

anyway, i think i'm done ;)

Kisses

Mac

2009, actually.

Hmmm, where do you live? A quick google search suggests this may be a North America thing. Nokia's Europe website has a large selection of phones with micro USB ports on them, but only a dozen on the US website, and 2 years ago it was probably even worse.

I live in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Strange they would do it differentely in the US.

b] people who have programmed for symbian pre-Qt
\o ... S60 3rd ed "security" limitations stopped me from ever upgrading my phone to anything newer w/ symbian (So it's still a S60 2nd ED 6630)... Not that I have a real need to upgrade either, because my phone is now (finally, mostly) just a phone for me and the 6630 "chassis" (or whatever) is IMHO the most rugged that they have made so far (excluding specialties that I dont know of).

I read this thread before I saw any news about it so I only half believed this. I still can't believe this, why would Nokia partner with a company that has failed at every attempt at a phone OS for like 10 years? I just don't get it. There is not one phone that did well that ran a Microsoft OS and if averages are any indication then no one that partners with Microsoft on a phone will succeed.

Anyone that partners with Microsoft is doomed to fail and if it they don't Microsoft will just steal whatever is profitable about their product out from under them and go in their own direction. They do it to everyone they work with, well, the profitable partnerships anyway. So even if Nokia wins with this they'll loose, there is no winning when working with Microsoft.

I read this thread before I saw any news about it so I only half believed this. I still can't believe this, why would Nokia partner with a company that has failed at every attempt at a phone OS for like 10 years? I just don't get it. There is not one phone that did well that ran a Microsoft OS and if averages are any indication then no one that partners with Microsoft on a phone will succeed.

Anyone that partners with Microsoft is doomed to fail and if it they don't Microsoft will just steal whatever is profitable about their product out from under them and go in their own direction. They do it to everyone they work with, well, the profitable partnerships anyway. So even if Nokia wins with this they'll loose, there is no winning when working with Microsoft.

New CEO is an old MS man... Not that I am implying that he was a trojan or anything like that...

Back