Nokia moving to WP7

I still can't believe this, why would Nokia partner with a company that has failed at every attempt at a phone OS for like 10 years?
Because Nokia and Microsoft actually have a long history together. Symbian has had ports of Microsoft office products for as long as I can remember.

I fail to see the reasons of all these hate... actually WP7 seems like the small outsider that will offer us one of the only alternative to iOS or android... and choice is always good for the customer in the end.

I fail to see the reasons of all these hate... actually WP7 seems like the small outsider that will offer us one of the only alternative to iOS or android... and choice is always good for the customer in the end.

How is WP7 + Nokia = choice? WP7 can be licensed by anyone, Symbian nowadays is specifically Nokia and MeeGo was still born and just lost one of its parents.

To me it seems we just lost the choice of 2.

and choice is always good for the customer in the end.
I already thought Meego was a pretty good choice, but then I'm thinking of developers.

I guess customers will be excited to use Facebook on 3 different platforms that all subtly rip off interfaces from each other instead of doing useful things like giving them root access.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meego? ok, lately I only saw Android and iOS, meego seemed doomed before this news

Last edited by a moderator:
A risky decision of Nokia. Though many people used it, I got the impression that windows mobile was never happily received by users.

It does seem like the mobile market is becoming more and more a battle of software ecospace (iOS, Android, windows 7), so from that perspective it's kind of understandable that they would switch OS. However, I think the choice for Windows 7 is a poor one.

The stock market agrees with me.

It does seem like the mobile market is becoming more and more a battle of software ecospace (iOS, Android, windows 7), so from that perspective it's kind of understandable that they would switch OS. However, I think the choice for Windows 7 is a poor one.

that's the exact reason that doomed maemo... the appstore makes the OS actually... you just have to look at the two actual major phone OS... WP7 try to go in the same direction, but you are right, it is a risky choice...

I'm kind of worried about what the impact on Qt is going to be. Nokia claims they will continue supporting it, but such claims are easier made than held.

it might be a risky choice for nokia, but it's the only logical one, symbian is dead, meego is pretty much dead, and a new os isnt' going to go anywhere

at least they got the right to 'customise' the wp7 experience, who knows what they'll do to it, but letting them run just a little bit free is better than nothing

(though anyone thinking of using wp7 must be crazy, it's pretty poor)

I'm kind of worried about what the impact on Qt is going to be. Nokia claims they will continue supporting it, but such claims are easier made than held.

Couldn't someone fork Qt if Nokia doesn't live up to the claim, or am I missing the point?

Well, it seems Nokia is still actively developing Qt, so no need to fork for now. Meego is being actively pushed by Intel, so I guess we could see more devices in a relative short term than Nokia's upcoming one.

<rant>Also I fail to see how Meego is "dead"? It basically hasn't even been born yet! As far as I know, it has a good stable base OS working nicely, and the UI is the only thing still being honed. Or did you mean "dead" as in "does not have a hugely popular app store"? How could it? It's not even out! Looking at the whole SW stack Meego is still by far my favorite mobile OS. OK, I would've liked debian packages more than RPMs, but still. If you want a crapload of apps instantly available, make something like alien dalvik and leech off android. Boom, instant "ecosystem". I honestly can't believe how much people buy into the marketing BS of companies trying to rule out any competition. After N900, I'll never ever buy a closed/limited/gimped OS phone if I have a choice.</rant>

Sorry for the rant, had to vent a bit :)

Well, it seems Nokia is still actively developing Qt, so no need to fork for now. Meego is being actively pushed by Intel, so I guess we could see more devices in a relative short term than Nokia's upcoming one.

<rant>Also I fail to see how Meego is "dead"? It basically hasn't even been born yet! As far as I know, it has a good stable base OS working nicely, and the UI is the only thing still being honed. Or did you mean "dead" as in "does not have a hugely popular app store"? How could it? It's not even out! Looking at the whole SW stack Meego is still by far my favorite mobile OS. OK, I would've liked debian packages more than RPMs, but still. If you want a crapload of apps instantly available, make something like alien dalvik and leech off android. Boom, instant "ecosystem". I honestly can't believe how much people buy into the marketing BS of companies trying to rule out any competition. After N900, I'll never ever buy a closed/limited/gimped OS phone if I have a choice.</rant>

Sorry for the rant, had to vent a bit :)

sorry, you were right, was thinking maemo... through, without a though app store I predict no futur to meego too...

AFAIK, Intel is planning on using its "AppUp" app store for meego. Just yesterday (afaik) they reduced all developer license costs to zero to boost interest. They're not big and visible with no retail products yet, but stuff is brewing under the table.

After N900, I'll never ever buy a closed/limited/gimped OS phone if I have a choice.
Same here. What choices are there? I know about the Freerunner, are there any other open source phones out there that I might not have heard about yet?

How could you say Meego is dead and not WM7? Because Microsoft has money to throw behind it? Microsoft has failed in the mobile market and WM7 will be no different. I just hope Nokia hasn't singed anything that will force them to stick with WM7 and not be able to release their phones with other OSs. If they have they're sunk and Microsoft will just watch them sink rather than pulling out.

I just think that anything other than Android and IOS will be very niche for a long time and trading one niche product for another just doesn't make sense. When dealing with Microsoft they will have no control over the software where they had control over Meego. I don't see how this can help them.

Back