Nokia N900 Or Openpandora

kingoddball said:
Im in Australia - No clue about tmobile.

As for linux - there are ways apparently.

also, my reply was not directed at the OP(original poster), it was about the open office and to Elanzer (not an attack or ANYTHING mean) and a little bit of a rant (Im posting using n900 now).

as for using linux, it is virtually a must if you intend to develop for n900 as nokias scratchbox only works on linux (i use a VM).

im sure it will be MUCH better when pr 1.2 comes out with the 'qtlib's'.
Well most sollutions I have found usually involve wine (which sucks and is slow), use virtual box and Windows which is pointless because I would still have to buy windows, or gtkpod which isn't that great. Besides iHate the iPhone you have to hack it to get very basic features and it is closed, restrictive, and proprietary. In the Us at&t exclusively carries the iPhone in the Us and I wouldn't know about Australia. The Nokia n900 the sky is the limit which is also the same with the openpandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
well in iphones very limited defence... firmware 4.0 will finally give back some basic features... multitasking, background images (maybe themes) onboard ebook reader and some more.

anyhow... if you want/need a phone buy an n900 it's pretty simple, really.
you dont like the n900 then get an android phone or onw of a million other phones.

you want a handheld console which may take somel time to arrive, get a pandora.

why add more junk to an already over populated pandora thread.

I will get the openpandora most likely because of gaming controls (and games of course) and it is more like a pc than the nokia n900. On a side note I hope I don't go crazy waiting for the awesomeness that is the openpandora to come out. :) :pandora2ut4:

I asked the same question and I got n900 bias http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=649470#post649470 just like I got here so surprising isn't it oh well neither forum helped me pick out a device but I will see if the openpandora is ever released on time I will see how each community developes. I hope openpandora game are more than quick recompiles from the gp2x/gp2x wiz I really want to see stuff take advantage of the openpandora hardware.

This might get me flamed to a cinder, but there is a way to get flash on the Pandora ... Windows CE. (Runs for cover)

Eet said:
This might get me flamed to a cinder, but there is a way to get flash on the Pandora ... Windows CE. (Runs for cover)
That would be something I would like very much.

Why? Why would you want a terrible windows system on a device that it is not designed for?
Yes, Windows CE is built for ARM and will work if someone wants to port it.

You will not have full functionality unless some people want to spend many, many hours working on it.

Flash = Wait and see... Depends on if it is illegally ported over from another device... Maybe the Android build that worked for Pandora previously had flash, if it does, maybe someone can get it to work with Pandora.

Windows CE drivers for the OMAP are freely available on Texas Instruments web site, FYI. As for "why Windows CE", outside of Flash playback (which has already been covered) I can think of a few other reasons.
Silverlight
Microsoft Office
WMV, WMA playback (legally)

Unfortunately, due to Microsoft's wierd licencing scheme, the Open Pandora team has to sell Windows CE to us. It isn't possible to buy it yourself. Go figure ...

kingoddball said:
Why? Why would you want a terrible windows system on a device that it is not designed for?
Yes, Windows CE is built for ARM and will work if someone wants to port it.

You will not have full functionality unless some people want to spend many, many hours working on it.

Flash = Wait and see... Depends on if it is illegally ported over from another device... Maybe the Android build that worked for Pandora previously had flash, if it does, maybe someone can get it to work with Pandora.
Well windows ce may be incredibly dated but there are tons of application written for it it would really boost the openpandora in my opinion or a windows mobile emulator would be great I bet somebody will get android running.

linuxftw said:
I will see if the openpandora is ever released on time

...a bit late for that!

linuxftw said:
I asked the same question and I got n900 bias http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=649470#post649470 just like I got here
Seems to me that they're giving the exact same advice you got here: Pandora is good for gaming, especially if you don't mind not having a phone. If phone is important to you, the N900 is the thing to get. You can also get an N900 right now.

linuxftw said:
Well windows ce may be incredibly dated but there are tons of application written for it it would really boost the openpandora in my opinion or a windows mobile emulator would be great I bet somebody will get android running.

sorry, but windows CE is quite different from desktop windows, there's not 1 OS, nor do all the windows CE run on the same compatible hardware.
every windows CE is build for a specific hardware plateform. different plateform comes with their own SDK. every application should be compiled using the right SDK. it means that lots of windows CE application would not work on a pandora windows CE version (trough some application build for other target MIGHT work... assuming a same ARM target and no fancy plateform specific hardware used)

Back