Not a request: The multifuctional pocket server

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
OK, I'm sure sure where I should put this, but I'll try here...

Do not assume that this is a request! I am not saying that I want such a product! I am saying that it is an interesting idea as a saleable product!

Hardware:

• Like a Pandora, but;
  • No screen
  • No keyboard
  • No gaming controls
  • Whatever is necessary to act as a wlan router
  • more SD card slots (maybe 6)

Companion product:

Bluetooth gaming controls and keyboard resembling the lower part of a Pandora.

Note: This later idea was thought up elsewhere on these forums, if that was you (and you want credit for it) feel free to say so. :)

What you could do with it:

Use as an external harddrive/fileserver

Upgradeable with SD cards

Setup RAID across some of the SD slots*

So your data is safe if either the entire unit dies, or one of the SD cards fails

Operation as USB slave

can work wirelessly anywhere (as a real network filesystem, or with a web interface)

theft proofed in an out-of-the-way pocket

can be shared across many devices easily

SD cards aren't damages by motion, so suitable for access wile moving around

plug in a USB mobile dialup dongle, then the data on it can be served to anywhere in the world (albeit slowly!)

Mobile backups

Could automatically backup any USB/SD storage you plugged into it.

Use to get mobile dialup on any device with wifi

But with a local mailserver/cache/filtering?

Use for datalogging/remote monitoring

Enough internal processing power to work on raw data before sending it on e.g.

only send video from webcam if motion detected.

Would run linuxish, allowing for interesting hacky projects

Use the EXT connector for custom hardware interfacing

Set-top box.

with software optimization, you could watch web video, local video, local or networked audio and

guess what! The Pandora hardware already runs a whole heap of games.

Also a fully multipurpose couch computer with the Bluetooth keyboard and a USB port or 2

Could be plugged into any TV or computer monitor on the go with a rare TV-out cable.

Charge other devices

There's a nice big battery in there! share it with other things

Hacking

USB ports + serial connections + I2C + real Linux + open source + community full of enthusiastic um. People(?) = Elephant.

*Big selling point, I mean haven't you always wanted your very own, pocket raid array to show your friends!

SD cards would mean that, the functionality above would live on seamlessly after your files outgrow the disk space. Just buy new ones at half the price for quadruple the capacity.

Although it there might be heavy wireless use, there is no screen, which avoids battery life going all out down the drain

See: http://www.storagese...-endurance.html

I am Definitely Not suggesting this should be produced immediately, if ever, or that it is in any way a perfect idea or that OP team don't have better things to do.

Just a thought... <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
With a nice case, a load of games, more sd card slots, more wireless functionality, OS running of internal storage, usb otg, a big battery...

All working smoothly out of the box.

i.e. a product primarily for use rather than poking around in.

Ah, he wants a SNES with an SD adapter :)

Headless, controll-less, lots of games. ... not going to happen mate :)

Raspberry Pi, or a Beagleboard, or any number of little guys like a ShivaPlug etc would be your thing.

jeff

Hey ho :) .

(it was more that I felt like developing an idea that won't happen, rather than me wanting one)

As I said, the point is mainly a finished, portable product. It could be done with other devices, but this would be a new angle for the end user.

Kinda like a iCP,

Hey there's other game controllers, but one that works well with a smartphone without hassle is unusual.

I posted a similar idea a while back on one of the new threads. ED said the Pandora's boards are about 200 euros each, so it is not worth it. Get a PandaBoard instead, its about $150 and has a dual core and HDMI out already.

Does this explanation help?

1. I do not particularly want such a device, if I did, then it could, with work, be achieved with various development boards as suggested above.
  2. I was thinking that a portable (and hackable) , wireless file server (and media centre) might find a market as a finished product.

Price, admittedly might be a problem.

I think what people are trying to tell you is that what you are proposing is part of an already diverse market. Slap a case on any of them and it is basically what you have described. Add a few more features inside that case (all of which are supported in some way for the listed devices) and put together the right software, and it is exactly what you have described. You could do it, but with so many devices that already come close to what you describe breaking into the market could be extremely difficult.

There are lots of portable hackable linux gadgets, so that niche is covered. ie: Shiva, heck a DNS-323 NAS could be used ;)

Putting a game spin on it just makes it a bad idea imho -- ie: in an era when the 3DS and Vita are worried over their future, when you can get a used or cheap unix phone (including touchscreen).. why make a specialized _less functional_ device? ie: WebOS .. is Angstrom. iPhojne.. based on BSD. Android.. linux.

But I can't wtrite much, crying babies, I'm off..

In fact, so much of such a device would be polishing software development, that the hardware aspect wouldn't be worth it?

Back