Nub callibration problem, maybe.

Tenka

Snakes and Fish
I have received a Pandora, I've sort of already announced that though.  I love it and playing each of the PSX Jurassic Park games on it, but having to remove my thumbs from the D-pad and buttons to press the R2/L2 keyboard buttons is kind of a drag. 

I'm having a real problem though, my left nub which I move the mouse cursor with often becomes, severely uncallibrated.  All directions will sometimes work fine with equal pressure, but later the cursor will be very slow or not move at all when I try to move it left, but zip along very fast to the right where I'll be unable to remove it from.  At other times the directions of this problem will be different.  Reseting the nubs from the settings menu usually does not change anything, but I believe it has a couple times.  The closest problem to mine I can remember reading about is the nubs being a little crazy shortly after a restart, and advice to spin them around in complete circles a few times to trigger autocallibration, but my problem is definitely different.  It's taken effect in the middle of a Nintendo 64 game too, in case that says anything.

I am using SuperZaxxon 1.54 Final, and I had this problem in the release candidate too, but I reflashed my Pandora right after I received it so I can't say if the problem was there before that.  Community, please tell me if this is a silly old problem everyone else became used to fixing and forgetting about.

Has anyone solved this problem? I still have it on my rebirth Pandora. Seriously irritating that I can't play any N64 games just because of the inputs (which was one of the main purposes of the Pandora in the first place, perfect inputs...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you used the input tester to see what's going on?  My old right nub behaves somewhat similarly - often failing to click one way or the other until I've done the nub dance a number of times.

I suppose on one hand it's less annoying losing control of your right nub than your left, but at the same time it's probably harder to do the nub dance without making everything go haywire with the right nub.

My 1Ghz unit's left nub has degraded to the point the NUB dance, resetting makes no difference. I would replace it if I felt that it would actually fix the issue.

My 1Ghz unit's left nub has degraded to the point the NUB dance, resetting makes no difference. I would replace it if I felt that it would actually fix the issue.
I had the same issue on one of my units.  I replaced the nub and it worked fine now.  So I'm pretty sure it's the nub issue.

I wonder if the Pyra nubs can work on Pandora.  If it does, I would order some and put them on the Pandora as those are better nubs...

Well, they're a different shape, so some case modification will be required at least.  Someone here will have the datasheets to hand, and if they speak I2C they should be electically pretty compatible.  If not a little adaptive circuitry will be needed, which might be tricky in the space allowed.

Well, they're a different shape, so some case modification will be required at least.  Someone here will have the datasheets to hand, and if they speak I2C they should be electically pretty compatible.  If not a little adaptive circuitry will be needed, which might be tricky in the space allowed.
There's plenty of space on the case around the nubs, so case modification seems not to be an issue....

Any update on this? I recently upgraded to the latest SuperZaxxon version, and started getting problems.

The left nub will within minutes, stop the pointer moving to the right. Resetting the nubs gives me about 10-20 minutes of semi-decent movement or will occasionally allow the pointer to move right but not left.

This is really annoying me - any suggestions on what to do?

I thought it was determined to be a firmware problem in the past though, not hardware.
Well if that is the case it's never been fixed... My rebirth and 1Ghz Left nub has always been working poorly... However I recall some kind of nub calibration adjustment in the old version of Mupen64 control config that fixed this issue at least for Mupen64, however I've seen no fix for it outside that one emulator.

My First Batch Pandora doesn't seem to have this issue.

That's when dust gets into the nub.

I desoldered a nub last week that had that problem, opened it up, removed a huge white dust particle and reassembled it.

The it instantly started to work fine again.

Thanks for the advice ED.

I have almost no experience or confidence with opening machines like the Pandora - is desoldering and dismantling the nub the only way to clean it out?

Back