Nub Issue.

When Pleng got his Pandora he had a stiff stick... {snigger}

Yes, I know, factually kinda inaccuratge. But where's the fun in accuracy instead of humour?

I have an issue with my left nub too. When pushed up the cursor accelerates qhuite quickly, push it down and it's rather slow. Also doesn't always move the cursor in line with where I'm pushing. Will this correct itself?

Sorry, just read the first page again! When EvilDragon says to push in every direction to it's extreme when you turn it on, I take it you need to do this every time you use it?

trooper said:
NickLoTurco said:
I take it you need to do this every time you use it?

Yep, You have to calibrate the nubs every-time you boot-up.

Trooper

:blink: Seriously? Every boot? Couldn't the results of the first time you calibrate, like, be stored somewhere and used until you decide it needs recalibrating?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not. My assumption is that the calibration data is stored inside the nubs themselves and is lost when the Pandora turns off.

This should only apply to cold boots though.

Maybe it's possible to hack something that keeps the nubs powered while rebooting. That way they would just lose calibration when Pandora is really powered off(which won't happen much when power management is fully implemented).

trooper said:
NickLoTurco said:
I take it you need to do this every time you use it?

Yep, You have to calibrate the nubs every-time you boot-up.

Trooper
Really? This would be another big disadvantage for me. Why didn't OPT never mentioned this fact? I thought it had to be done only once like every other device that needs calibrating. Very stupid "design flaw" form y taste. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, it sounds no different to a console's game controller, to me.

And what's to say that there won't be a way to save the calibration data in the future, exactly? ;)

@Fusion
The nubs are kind of self-calibrating. Just move them slowly up and down, left and right while letting them rest shortly in the middle after every turn.

if the nubs really hold the calibration info and lose it when powered off, then would it be possible to make them dump their calibration settings to nand (perhaps not) or SD card before shutdown and then recall them during boot up?

if the SD card is missing on bootup the nubs would just require calibrating again. if the SD card is missing on shutdown the calibration isnt dumped and the nubs lose settings.

This will be just like my RC helicopter remote control.
I always exercise the joysticks in all directions prior to spooling up the main engine.
Really, not a big deal.
If you store the settings, they will not be updated regularly, which might not be a good thing.

Also cold boots should become less necessary the better the standby mode is improved. (and software stability)
This is the way it's meant to really be used.
So not really a big design flaw inmo.

A cold boot takes time to complete anyway.

I assume that the nubs firmware does not rely on the linux bootsequence in any way (otherwise they could also store their calibration data). So, rather than waiting for the boot to finish, just fiddle with the nubs.

Back