Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Does it say BIOS not found when you start the game?

EDIT1:  Yeah like you said, just dumb the bios in with the game.  Weird, the RetroArch dev should have coded the program so that in will only look into a dedicated bios folder.  Anyway, it works.  Thanks

EDIT2:  PCSX-ReArmed in RetroArch runs PERFECT!!! I mean PERFECT on the Shield!  Let me say this the graphics here are breathtaking due to the Shield superior Screen.  
Dang it I want my Shield and I want it now.  Getting it tomorrow.   I sold my Pandora just to get it.

EDIT1:  Yeah like you said, just dumb the bios in with the game.  Weird, the RetroArch dev should have coded the program so that in will only look into a dedicated bios folder.  Anyway, it works.  Thanks

EDIT2:  PCSX-ReArmed in RetroArch runs PERFECT!!! I mean PERFECT on the Shield!  Let me say this the graphics here are breathtaking due to the Shield superior Screen.  
Dang it I want my Shield and I want it now.  Getting it tomorrow.   I sold my Pandora just to get it.
Big move....congratulations.

Owning both if I had to choose between the two..I would have to say I would choose the Shield. I still like my Pandora though.

Last edited:
^ Blasphemy!
18920-for-the-glory-of-satan-of-course_f.jpg

^ Blasphemy!
am I in trouble?? :eek:

After owning 4 previous Pandoras and selling them off on ebay due to cracks[3 black ,1 silver]...and now owning a 1gig model which thus far is working as it should I think I have the right to voice my true opinion. ;)

I still like the Pandora though,,,very much.

Last edited:

Nah!  I wouldn't sell my Pandy.  The Shield is just for gaming (at home).  The Pandy runs a lot of other emulators on par with the Shield if not better though, and it's my companion for everything else wherever I go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. For home, it seems like a neat device.

But it's too big for me to carry around.

And use it for eMails and stuff like that as well :)

Nah!  I wouldn't sell my Pandy.  The Shield is just for gaming (at home).  The Pandy runs a lot of other emulators on par with the Shield if not better though, and it's my companion for everything else wherever I go.
Edit:  Also the Shield onscreen keyboard is just killing me.  I can't type shit with it.

^ Blasphemy!

After owning 4 previous Pandoras and selling them off on ebay due to cracks[3 black ,1 silver]...and now owning a 1gig model which thus far is working as it should I think I have the right to voice my true opinion. ;)

But it's not fair to compare the Pandora against the Shield.  I don't need to mention the story how the Pandora got here, but if the Shield were made at the time of the Pandora, it wouldn't stand a chance against the Pandora.  The Pandora was made, what 5 years ago?, but look, it still does many many things way better than lots of gadgets made yesterday.

^ Blasphemy!

It's all good. You've done more than your fair share to support the Pandora, and your entitled to your own opinion like the rest of us.

I haven't gotten a Shield yet(well technically I did, but it was sold for profit :p ), but I'm sure I may also choose it over my Pandora at some point. That is in no way a mark against my Pandy, but more of a tribute to it, and to the honor of the new torchbearer.

The Pandora came out ages ago, and to say the Shiled is the first device that has come along that even possibly fills that hole, is a great testament to what the Pandora team and this community have done. It is also a HUGE nod to Nvidia, for finally releasing a similar fully dedicated gaming device that the masses can't really understand, but that the niche market wants. I would say it's a spiritual successor to the Pandora actually(at least to me).

I would personally never sale my Pandora, as I went to through much hell to get it :lol:  I also have a few cracks, and imperfections, but it just gives her character. I personally have only ever used mine for gaming emulation, so if a device like this can ever meet all of those needs, I could see retiring my Pandora at some point, but never selling her. My Pandora is worth keeping for Compo4All, if nothing else.

As Shenmue has stated above, on screen keyboards suck, and the Pandora still offers great alternatives to many current made devices. It's far from perfect, but it meets a need, the same way the Shield does. I was never really interested in the streaming feature of this device, but now after seeing all of the potential uses down the road, I may have to look in to it. Currently it only works for Nvidia based programs and such, but in the future, it may be used to stream anything from the PC(including emulation).

Although this thing won't be able to emulate Saturn, Gamecube, ect., most high end PC's can, so the Shield could end up being an all in one SUPER gaming device. So I could never rag on the Pandy, just because a newer and nicer appearing device comes along, as that is just the nature of the industry, but considering how long it has taken for me to even consider another device that may take her place, speaks volumes to what the Pandora has been about for so long. Thanks again to TEAM PANDORA!

Chris

^ Blasphemy!

It's all good. You've done more than your fair share to support the Pandora, and your entitled to your own opinion like the rest of us.

I haven't gotten a Shield yet(well technically I did, but it was sold for profit :p ), but I'm sure I may also choose it over my Pandora at some point. That is in no way a mark against my Pandy, but more of a tribute to it, and to the honor of the new torchbearer.

The Pandora came out ages ago, and to say the Shiled is the first device that has come along that even possibly fills that hole, is a great testament to what the Pandora team and this community have done. It is also a HUGE nod to Nvidia, for finally releasing a similar fully dedicated gaming device that the masses can't really understand, but that the niche market wants. I would say it's a spiritual successor to the Pandora actually(at least to me).

I would personally never sale my Pandora, as I went to through much hell to get it :lol:  I also have a few cracks, and imperfections, but it just gives her character. I personally have only ever used mine for gaming emulation, so if a device like this can ever meet all of those needs, I could see retiring my Pandora at some point, but never selling her. My Pandora is worth keeping for Compo4All, if nothing else.

As Shenmue has stated above, on screen keyboards suck, and the Pandora still offers great alternatives to many current made devices. It's far from perfect, but it meets a need, the same way the Shield does. I was never really interested in the streaming feature of this device, but now after seeing all of the potential uses down the road, I may have to look in to it. Currently it only works for Nvidia based programs and such, but in the future, it may be used to stream anything from the PC(including emulation).

Although this thing won't be able to emulate Saturn, Gamecube, ect., most high end PC's can, so the Shield could end up being an all in one SUPER gaming device. So I could never rag on the Pandy, just because a newer and nicer appearing device comes along, as that is just the nature of the industry, but considering how long it has taken for me to even consider another device that may take her place, speaks volumes to what the Pandora has been about for so long. Thanks again to TEAM PANDORA!

Chris
See?  I had the exact same feelings when the Shield first got into my hand.  But after couple of days messing/fiddling around with it, I came to the realization that the Pandora is just still a different class in both RETRO gaming as well as working and other stuff.  Maybe it's just me.  I'm not trying to convince anyone.

I haven't gotten a Shield yet(well technically I did, but it was sold for profit )
Are people doing this? Just out of curiosity, how much did you sell it for? 
I really want one, but since it just came out, and the emu's need some tweaking, I figured I would just sale some to help pay for mine(when the time comes, hopefully within the next month or so).

This is only available in the US and Canada currently, so although Newegg has had steady stock for the last week, no official retailers sale this internationally. This is where I come in ;) I order 4, as that is the maximum allowed through Nvidia or Newegg, and I listed them at 399.99 last night, and by this morning, 3 have sold. I will assume the 4th will be gone later today, or by the weeks end. 

After being raped by Ebay and Paypal, I'll make a solid 50-60 bucks per unit. Nothing crazy, but I sale on Ebay by trade, so I'm dealing with sales, packages and the postal system regularly, so it's just a little help to me and those who want one overseas.

Chris

I haven't gotten a Shield yet(well technically I did, but it was sold for profit )
I really want one, but since it just came out, and the emu's need some tweaking, I figured I would just sale some to help pay for mine(when the time comes, hopefully within the next month or so).

This is only available in the US and Canada currently, so although Newegg has had steady stock for the last week, no official retailers sale this internationally. This is where I come in ;) I order 4, as that is the maximum allowed through Nvidia or Newegg, and I listed them at 399.99 last night, and by this morning, 3 have sold. I will assume the 4th will be gone later today, or by the weeks end. 

After being raped by Ebay and Paypal, I'll make a solid 50-60 bucks per unit. Nothing crazy, but I sale on Ebay by trade, so I'm dealing with sales, packages and the postal system regularly, so it's just a little help to me and those who want one overseas.

Chris
You may want to open a Pandora shop yourself where you live like ekianjo did in Japan.....since you have experience selling stuff  :D

You may want to open a Pandora shop yourself where you live like ekianjo did in Japan.....since you have experience selling stuff  :D
We actually already have a seller here in the states I believe. I actually did sale a few Pandora's early on before all the issues happened(bad nubs, cables, ect), and I was the "unofficial" ICP seller here in the states before Thinkgeek became the official one. I sold about 60-70 ICP's at the time.

Shipping was so high out of the UK when they launched, I decided to contact Craig(Jackie actually), and I got some qty to help out those here in the states that didn't want to pay the higher shipping. I sold them at retail pricing, and sold them all within a few months time. Mostly to US buyers, but I did sale a few international ones as well.

I actually love selling items, but I also like to not have a ton of CS issues, and the Pandora has had to many over it's life for me to even bother at this point :p  I'm also a tinkerer from time to time, so I'm no stranger to fixing a gadget here and there, but until they can no longer be purchased here in the states, I wouldn't even consider it. I do have 10 ICP2 coming, if they ever ship and I'll be selling those as well.

Chris

I can tell you the one I bought was on ebay and I payed 425 USD..it included the case and carbon fiber lid. Free s&h...priority mail.

It is my belief that I got one of the better deals on there....at that time anyways.

My gut feeling is that maybe in a month or so there might be used ones up for sale on ebay. Funny now to me because I had pre ordered way back and got the free t-shirt from digital river. Then I got paranoid since the shipping dates were being moved. When I called digital river they could not answer me as far as when the shipping date was estimated so I canceled my order for 299USD plus case and lid = about 365 USD I think....before s&h. A mistake in retrospect  :(   ;) . I wound up getting mine  from ebay on 8/1.

Actually ebay is not my favorite way to buy or sell but I had to have this and really have no regrets now. 

Last edited:
I can tell you the one I bought was on ebay and I payed 425 USD..it included the case and carbon fiber lid. Free s&h...priority mail.

It is my belief that I got one of the better deals on there....at that time anyways.

My gut feeling is that maybe in a month or so there might be used ones up for sale on ebay. Funny now to me because I had pre ordered way back and got the free t-shirt from digital river. Then I got paranoid since the shipping dates were being moved. When I called digital river they could not answer me as far as when the shipping date was estimated so I canceled my order for 299USD plus case and lid = about 365 USD I think....before s&h. A mistake in retrospect  :(   ;) . I wound up getting mine  from ebay on 8/1.

Actually ebay is not my favorite way to buy or sell but I had to have this and really have no regrets now. 
WOW, that was an excellent deal. The case and lid retail for 40 and 20, so that's 60 right there. so regular retail would be 360 for those items + the system, and with tax and shipping, that's about 400. So you pretty much paid an extra 25 dollars, that's not bad at all. Now, Newegg doesn't charge tax depending on your location, and their free shipping is beyond suck ass, so I would never use that for something I want now, but they seem the best place to buy currently. I heard Nvidia is charging tax, and crazy high shipping charges, so this wasn't bad at all.

I don't know how the seller made any money on that deal. I know a lot of sellers don't look at the fees, and other cost involved, but this was a gift pretty much, and Ebay made the most money there for sure. This is why they suck. Considering what they do, how the hell do they justify what they take? Bastards :angry:

If I could sale any other way I would. Sadly, they have a monopoly on the online auction business(not a real one, but due to the industry, it works like one), and there isn't anything anyone can do. Game Gavel is descent, but the lack of traffic over there kills me selling any items at decent prices. Unless a big company like Amazon or something starts an auction business, there is just no way to loosing their grip on the market. I try to make up cost where I can, but it's getting harder and harder to do, and still stay competitive. My only saving grace really, is that I sale internationally and a lot of sellers don't(at least anymore).

Oh well. I actually have seen a few used ones so far, but they aren't killing the new business yet. A device like this, I would never get used, unless it was for a HUGE savings off the retail price. This is currently to hot of an item, for prices to get to low, but it will happen and then new sales prices will drop. The longer Nvidia takes to release this elsewhere, the better off it will be(at least for the second hand market).

It's way cool to see all the positive feedback here, over at NeoGAF, and other areas around the web. I have seen a ton of comments from people who didn't want one, and now that they hear about the over all quality and functionality, they are hooked. I'm really interested in seeing what happens over coming weeks and months. It should be very cool. Hopefully I'll be getting mine within a month or two, but I can wait, as I would like to have more options for dedicated games(especially the tegra 4 options), as well as emu improvements. When my order arrived yesterday, it took great will power to not tear one open ;)

Chris

latest ppsspp (dev build) brings with it a major increase in performance and mappable buttons, a revisit video comming soon, you'll be very impressed, I know I am! (completely playable ff7cc what!?)

latest ppsspp (dev build) brings with it a major increase in performance and mappable buttons, a revisit video comming soon, you'll be very impressed, I know I am! (completely playable ff7cc what!?)
What are you talking about?  I tried the latest and Dissida and Soul Calibur didn't run that well.  Lots of graphical glitches.

What are you talking about?  I tried the latest and Dissida and Soul Calibur didn't run that well.  Lots of graphical glitches.
Well yea, there's some incompatibilities. The games it does run is performing much better than it was when I tested before

EDIT: running a little long on that video, had one of my 64gb sdcards loaded up with some more games and the card decided to take a dive when removing it from the computer for some unknown reason

Back