Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

latest ppsspp (dev build) brings with it a major increase in performance and mappable buttons, a revisit video comming soon, you'll be very impressed, I know I am! (completely playable ff7cc what!?)
What are you talking about?  I tried the latest and Dissida and Soul Calibur didn't run that well.  Lots of graphical glitches.
Well yea, there's some incompatibilities. The games it does run is performing much better than it was when I tested before

EDIT: running a little long on that video, had one of my 64gb sdcards loaded up with some more games and the card decided to take a dive when removing it from the computer for some unknown reason
Just curious.  You were that ANDROID? I've just noticed the texts above your Avatar.  What's the reason for the change?  Not interested in Android anymore?  :D

latest ppsspp (dev build) brings with it a major increase in performance and mappable buttons, a revisit video comming soon, you'll be very impressed, I know I am! (completely playable ff7cc what!?)
What are you talking about?  I tried the latest and Dissida and Soul Calibur didn't run that well.  Lots of graphical glitches.
Well yea, there's some incompatibilities. The games it does run is performing much better than it was when I tested before

EDIT: running a little long on that video, had one of my 64gb sdcards loaded up with some more games and the card decided to take a dive when removing it from the computer for some unknown reason
Just curious.  You were that ANDROID? I've just noticed the texts above your Avatar.  What's the reason for the change?  Not interested in Android anymore?  :D
my normal handle was previously taken on these forums, I'm snesfan everywhere else I go. I periodically checked and it was always registered but never used. I checked a couple days ago and it was free so I switched.

as seen below

http://boards.dingoonity.org/profile/?u=1952

http://forum.openhandhelds.net/index.php?action=profile;u=1

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't gotten a Shield yet(well technically I did, but it was sold for profit )
Are people doing this? Just out of curiosity, how much did you sell it for? 
I really want one, but since it just came out, and the emu's need some tweaking, I figured I would just sale some to help pay for mine(when the time comes, hopefully within the next month or so).

This is only available in the US and Canada currently, so although Newegg has had steady stock for the last week, no official retailers sale this internationally. This is where I come in ;) I order 4, as that is the maximum allowed through Nvidia or Newegg, and I listed them at 399.99 last night, and by this morning, 3 have sold. I will assume the 4th will be gone later today, or by the weeks end. 

After being raped by Ebay and Paypal, I'll make a solid 50-60 bucks per unit. Nothing crazy, but I sale on Ebay by trade, so I'm dealing with sales, packages and the postal system regularly, so it's just a little help to me and those who want one overseas.

Chris
If ebay charge that much, why not just skip them altogether and just use paypal?

I haven't gotten a Shield yet(well technically I did, but it was sold for profit )
I really want one, but since it just came out, and the emu's need some tweaking, I figured I would just sale some to help pay for mine(when the time comes, hopefully within the next month or so).

This is only available in the US and Canada currently, so although Newegg has had steady stock for the last week, no official retailers sale this internationally. This is where I come in ;) I order 4, as that is the maximum allowed through Nvidia or Newegg, and I listed them at 399.99 last night, and by this morning, 3 have sold. I will assume the 4th will be gone later today, or by the weeks end. 

After being raped by Ebay and Paypal, I'll make a solid 50-60 bucks per unit. Nothing crazy, but I sale on Ebay by trade, so I'm dealing with sales, packages and the postal system regularly, so it's just a little help to me and those who want one overseas.

Chris
If ebay charge that much, why not just skip them altogether and just use paypal?
Well technically, I can, but where do I get the business from? I can't use Ebay, and then once the person wins, then I ask them to cancel and go through Paypal only, that is against there policy. I have sold items directly to consumers at certain points, but unless I have my own website, I must use Ebay and pay the "Piper".

Chris

Chris
Well technically, I can, but where do I get the business from? I can't use Ebay, and then once the person wins, then I ask them to cancel and go through Paypal only, that is against there policy. I have sold items directly to consumers at certain points, but unless I have my own website, I must use Ebay and pay the "Piper".

Chris
Oh, I assumed you were just selling, I didn't realize you were auctioning. I've seen some on ebay, but there's an extra $100 import fee, so that's like ~$500 or so, a little rich for my blood.

Question for US Shield owners.  In the US, is the shield $299 or is it $299 + 10% sales tax ie ~ $330?

Depending on where you buy it, yeah there is tax. I try to use Newegg, as I'm not in a state where they are located, so I don't get charged tax. Same for Amazon, but I do have a distribution center in my state, but Nevada has weird tax laws because of the legal gambling. I would have gone with them, but they are currently not a seller.

Nvidia is charging tax to all buyers, and Gamestop does the same as well I believe. So My Newegg units where 299.99, plus 15 or so dollars shipping, so that made each unit about 303 and some change total.

Chris

Ok, so I know this sounds dumb but I connected my icp to my shield and there is like no lag at all.... the whole reason to get the shield for me was the presence of latency with bluetooth controllers and for some mysterious reason its as good as using the hardware controls... check it out

Ok, so I know this sounds dumb but I connected my icp to my shield and there is like no lag at all.... the whole reason to get the shield for me was the presence of latency with bluetooth controllers and for some mysterious reason its as good as using the hardware controls... check it out
Isn't it overkilled?  The shield has physical controls so why use icp for it?

2 players or gaming over hdmi as a super charged ouya... it's overkill for sure, I am preparing a "retro gaming" review and I wanted to cover all bases to see if I can find any flaws

2 players or gaming over hdmi as a super charged ouya... it's overkill for sure, I am preparing a "retro gaming" review and I wanted to cover all bases to see if I can find any flaws
Sounds good, I look forward to your review. Especially one from a retro gaming standpoint.

Chris

Looks like Nvidia are launching a new Android Handheld Console powered by the new Tegra 4 and featuring a full game controller and 5 inch ips touch screen. They are claiming 38 hours of gaming from the battery - I think this a typo though. I'll update this when I find the real figure.

Some details:

* Tegra 4 SOC

* A micro SD slot

* HDMI output

* USB port

* Audio jack

* Clamshell design

* Stereo Speakers :- Custom, bass-reflex, tuned port audio system delivers fidelity and custom range never before experienced on a portable device

* customizable 5-inch "retinal display" touchscreen. It's a 1280 x720 screen at 294 dpi, for the record.

* 5-10 Hours solid gaming battery life maybe longer , 24 hours HD video playback - No real firm spec on this - Seems to be a huge 38Whr battery. Photos and video show 3 x 3400mah (10200mah total) batteries in it.

* 802.11n 2x2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi

* JellyBean OS - this may change on release

* Ability to play PC and Steam games via piping

* No LTE

* Available Q2

See Details here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/nvidia-project-shield-tegra-4/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3845282/nvidia-announces-project-shield-handheld-gaming-system

http://shield.nvidia.com/

Must admit, based on first glance specs, this is going to be a real threat to the PS Vita. Up until now , Android Gaming devices have been lower speced, poorly backed (mostly form china) . This thing has better specs than the Vita and is backed by a fairly big company (Nvidia) . Sounds like the Android Handheld gaming console everyone has been waiting for.

nvidia-briefing,2-0-366840-22.jpg

project_shield_v2b.png

nvidia_project_shield-top-closed_v2.png

EDIT: I've made a temporary edit on the thread title.

- SONY
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

respawnables is showing potential for being a crazy good 3rd person arena shooter. It's pretty buggy in it's initial release, but does *technically* work with the shield's controls

Last edited by a moderator:
Back