Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Yes I think I am right and you and others that disagree are wrong as far as this topic is concerned.. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

BTW...I agree with what SNESFAN said. Maybe 'bashing' was bit too harsh of a word and I apologize for that. But you are deeply bias for sure as he said.
If i'm biased, I would have sold all of my Shields....

Please everyone stop using the "quote" button to quote walls of text.

You only need to quote the last text that is pertinent to your reply.

I'm not touching that wall of text quoting.  That's quite impressive,   :p

I'm digging the passionate arguments, but everyone seems to be on the same page overall. WE ALL LOVE CLASSIC GAMING!

So I really don't see the need for the tension. Everyone is going to have a favorite way to experience such matters, and I really don't see anyone bashing Shield or Pandora specifically, just strong opinions on why one is better than the other, to the perspective user.

I'm honestly expecting to right some gushing opinions here once my Shield arrives, but I did the same when I got my Pandora years ago ;)

Chris

I'm not saying you're being negative, just your opinions appear to be one sided. I know I may have missed some of your more positive comments, but the only thing that really sticks out to me, is that your happy with is PCSX re-armed in retroarch which is just a port from the pandora.

I don't know, you might be happy as shit with this and are honestly just viewing it in another light. But it just seems to me when I hear all your comments, you are indeed trying to be unhappy with your purchase.

EDIT: ...can't quite put a finger on it though.
^agreed.

I wonder if he really owns multiple Shields and if so has he actually played with one.??

My assumption is that either he bought multiple units just to sell and make profit or he never even touched a unit.

Either way I still say the Shield is on a higher level vs the Pandora and I really do not see how anyone who owns both could disagree....I do not wavier here. ;)

I still like my Pandora though and always will.

Last edited:
Of course I own the Shield (multiple of them).  Of course I'm using and playing one of them.  And yes I have downloaded and played (not all the way) all the games you downloaded for on your Shield.  I tuck the other two away for collection purposes.  :D    No!  I don't sell my toys even if I stop using them.  I only give them away for free occasionally to friends and people I like... ;)

Comparing the Pandora with the Shield is pretty much useless.

The Shield uses technology that's 5 years newer than the Pandoras one, OF COURSE it is superior in all of that.

However, the Shield also is a different device.

It aims for Android gaming and streaming via PC and Steam, mostly for playing at home (not very pocketable).

The Pandora aims for Linux gaming and being an open full PC, where you can also easily play and port games like Battle for Wesnoth or FreeCiv.

They both share emulator playing, sure, but that's the only share they got.

Even if I would release an updated Pandora 2 using the Tegra4, I would keep it pocketable, so the bigger Shield screen will look more impressive, but you can't put it in your pocket. 

I would also keep the Linux OS and not officially support Steam streaming.

So yeah, even with the same power, some would find the Shield better, some the Pandora 2. It depends on the use case.

I personally still prefer the Pandora 1 over the shield - but simply because it's pocketable, which is most important for me, and I can use it for other things (like making this post directly from the GamesCom :) )

But bashing either of those two is useless, as both got their advantages, it's what suits you best personally that counts.

Wait until WINE works opengl and qemu. Diablo2 and Half Life are killer games ;) .

I always thought carrying a Pandora with my smart phone was clumsy. My smart phone can do what the Pandora can do and much better business wise and darn near close for a casual romp at gaming. So I use my Pandora in the home as I do my Shield. Actually carrying a Pandora and a Smart phone is as clumsy as just carrying a Shield in my opinion. Yes the Pandora can play old school type PC games and the Shield does not but who really cares?? Certainly  games  like FreeCiv or Wesnoth are  not major graphical powerhouses. They are old school point and click PC games...seriously who cares about those games in the big picture??!! Maybe a few die hards.

Of course EvilDragon is going to say he likes the Pandora better... duh. :wacko:   ;)  ..I would have wagered the house on that response.

Oh yes...and I also bet the house there will never be a Pandora 2. But keep your hopes up I suppose.

As much as I like my Pandora  i  must say that if there ever was going to be another device made,,,[a real big IF],,,, I do not think the word Pandora should be associated with it. ;)

I add...I know I am going to get a bunch of hate for typing what I typed but please keep in mind I do like the Pandora....heck this is my 5th one. I never bought 5 of any of the same device. I did buy 3 xbox 360's when that damn RROD was happening.

Ahh yes memories.

Last edited:
Oh yes...and I also bet the house there will never be a Pandora 2. But keep your hopes up I suppose.
I think ED said he is allready saving money for a "Pandora 2" which will be named different (I like the "Pandragon").

And I agree with you. Carring a smart phone and a Pandora sucks. One device to conquer them all. The Pandragon needs some 3G (maybe via internal USB (removeable) to avoid certification)  so you can use whatsapp and sms, which is what people use most today. Maybe call via bluetooth headset, which you can be additionaly used for wireless gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought carrying a Pandora with my smart phone was clumsy. My smart phone can do what the Pandora can do and much better business wise and darn near close for a casual romp at gaming.
Well, even with the shield, I would still need a phone to do phonecalls.

Of course EvilDragon is going to say he likes the Pandora better... duh. :wacko:   ;)  ..I would have wagered the house on that response.
Actually, it does seem you don't know me pretty well.

Even if the Pandora wouldn't exist, I still wouldn't have much use for the shield personally.

I bought the PSP because it was more powerful for emulation than the GP2X.

In the end, the PSP collected dust. Yes, it was nice back then, but too big for me to carry it with me. So I still took the GP2X with me.

And the native games the PSP had didn't appeal to me as well.

That doesn't make the PSP a bad system. Just a different one.

Same for the Shield. Maybe you should read my post again.

I actually said the Shield is way better for certain things, but the things where the Pandora is better it are the important ones for me.

For me. Not for you, not for everyone, but maybe to others as well.

You seem to have a pretty limited view of things.

You try to tell me I'm biased, but actually, I'm not bashing the Shield (because I'm not a typical sales person but an honest guy), while you don't seem to be able to accept that the Pandora HAS appeals as well that the Shield doesn't offer. True, you probably don't care about them, but others might. Is that a hard thing to accept for you?

And the reason you believe that is what...?

As much as I like my Pandora  i  must say that if there ever was going to be another device made,,,[a real big IF],,,, I do not think the word Pandora should be associated with it. ;)
Did you read the boards during the last months?

That I don't want to use the name Pandora and that we're even already discussing about new names is no secret ;)  

I add...I know I am going to get a bunch of hate for typing what I typed but please keep in mind I do like the Pandora....
It's not hate.

I just do wonder why it seems so hard for you to see that while the Shield is an awesome device, it's not the perfect thing for everyone, and the Pandora might be more appealing for certain uses for others than it.

I always thought carrying a Pandora with my smart phone was clumsy. My smart phone can do what the Pandora can do and much better business wise and darn near close for a casual romp at gaming.
Well, even with the shield, I would still need a phone to do phonecalls.

Actually, it does seem you don't know me pretty well.

Even if the Pandora wouldn't exist, I still wouldn't have much use for the shield personally.

I bought the PSP because it was more powerful for emulation than the GP2X.

In the end, the PSP collected dust. Yes, it was nice back then, but too big for me to carry it with me. So I still took the GP2X with me.

And the native games the PSP had didn't appeal to me as well.

That doesn't make the PSP a bad system. Just a different one.

Same for the Shield. Maybe you should read my post again.

I actually said the Shield is way better for certain things, but the things where the Pandora is better it are the important ones for me.

For me. Not for you, not for everyone, but maybe to others as well.

You seem to have a pretty limited view of things.

You try to tell me I'm biased, but actually, I'm not bashing the Shield (because I'm not a typical sales person but an honest guy), while you don't seem to be able to accept that the Pandora HAS appeals as well that the Shield doesn't offer. True, you probably don't care about them, but others might. Is that a hard thing to accept for you?

And the reason you believe that is what...?

Did you read the boards during the last months?

That I don't want to use the name Pandora and that we're even already discussing about new names is no secret ;)  

I add...I know I am going to get a bunch of hate for typing what I typed but please keep in mind I do like the Pandora....
It's not hate.

I just do wonder why it seems so hard for you to see that while the Shield is an awesome device, it's not the perfect thing for everyone, and the Pandora might be more appealing for certain uses for others than it.
@ EvilDragon....I do not know you at all number one. I think you would be stupid to admit that a device you have put so much time and effort into is not even comparable in anyway to the Shield. You would never admit the Shield is superior to the Pandora as you would never admit there will never be a Pandora follow up because if you did this would be poor business strategy. I said I carry neither device around because I feel my smartphone does what I need when I am on the go. I never said you were biased but I said it was predictable what your response would be. I realize some might like the Pandora better but it is not because of the technology but rather personal feelings in my opinion. Because if it were for the technology then anyone who favored the Pandora would be erroneous. Why would you care what my reason is for believing there will never be a Pandora 2? Let me just say I stand by that statement. No I don't read all the boards so I missed the thread about the new name for a device that will never come out anyhow. Do not insult me by saying I have a 'limited way of viewing things' there is no need to insult here. You always say how honest you are but I must say I don't trust you based on this conversation. The Nvidia Shield is just the best all around device and can surpass the Pandora in any way, shape or form. If you look at the specs and take away the personal feelings there is no argument. Not only that but the device has not even been out for a month yet!!

I added...Squishy keyboard buttons, cracks in casing,loose hinges,bowed bezel, poor battery seating,delicate nubs with spotty control,lcd cable problems,terrible wifi and with a questionable reputation..you gotta just love that Pandora. ;)

Last edited:
@ EvilDragon....I do not know you at all number one. I think you would be stupid to admit that a device you have put so much time and effort into is not even comparable in anyway to the Shield.

You would never admit the Shield is superior to the Pandora
Um, why not?

What does this have to do with stupidity?

For me, the most important thing when running a business is pure honesty.

Telling someone that a device from a huge company like NVidia which is 5 years newer specs would NOT be superior than a product from a small company like us that uses old tech in some areas would be a lot more stupid in my opinion.

But specs are not everything.

As said, the Shield is awesome for it's raw power and of course for some emulators (though most emulators run perfect on the Pandora, so I don't know what can be more perfect than perfect except for a bigger screen).

But that's just ONE part.

How well can you code and compile directly on the Shield?

How well does LibreOffice and similar programs work on it?

Can you put it into your normal trouser pockets?

Can you use a standard eMail program like ClawsMail or Thunderbird on it?

I could go on and on.

The Shield would fail in all these areas, if I compare it to the Pandora.

But it's the same the other way round.

How well can you play PC-Streamed games on the Pandora?

How well run the most recent 3D Android Games on it?

How well does it play Nintendo64 games?

In these cases, the Shield would simply outperform the Pandora.

It's as simple as that, and why should I deny stuff like that?

It wouldn't make any sense.

But if you're not interested in 3D Android games, PC-Streamed games or N64 games, but rather want a tool which fits your pocket, which can be used for office or server administration work, the Pandora is still the better device for you, which is something you seem to not understand.

Even though the Shield is awesome, it is not that much interesting for me. And that can very well be the case for others as well.

as you would never admit there will never be a Pandora follow up because if you did this would be poor business strategy.
Errm... why would it be?

It's okay to tell that at one time you plan to work on a successor.

In fact, I already made multiple posts about that on the boards already.

However, I can't tell when then will be or if it REALLY will happen. Time will tell. But I can tell you for sure that I would love to do that.

I never said you were biased but I said it was predictable what your response would be.
Well, you totally ignored the fact that I agreed the Shield is better in some areas.

I simply mentioned it depends on the use case for each person.

I never said the Pandora is better for everyone and neither did I say the same for the Shield.

It totally depends on each person. Different people have different ideas what's useful for them.

You simply said the Shield is way better than the Pandora, which is simply not true.

I realize some might like the Pandora better but it is not because of the technology but rather personal feelings in my opinion. Because if it were for the technology then anyone who favored the Pandora would be erroneous.
See, and I even agreed to the technology thing in my first reply. You just either didn't understand or ignored it.

It doesn't have to do with "feelings" but with a use case.

A SID is an outdated chip, but still better if you plan to produce chiptunes than any other modern sound chip.

DOS is pretty much outdated, but still more useful than any other modern OS for companies who still use machines that communicate using the serial port and where stability is the most important thing.

A use case has nothing to do with old or new technology.

It can very well be that a 20 year old technology is way better suited for a specific use case than a modern one.

And that's what I'm talking about here.

The Pandora is old tech, but still the best device depending on your personal use case.

(BTW: The Raspberry Pi is even older tech than the Pandora (except for the GPU), and it still has a lot of use cases it seems).

Do not insult me by saying I have a 'limited way of viewing things' there is no need to insult here.
It's not an insult, it just seems to be the case and I'm trying to open your view.

The Nvidia Shield is just the best all around device and can surpass the Pandora in any way, shape or form. If you look at the specs and take away the personal feelings there is no argument. Not only that but the device has not even been out for a month yet!!
According to this sentence, your view still is limited to SPECS. 

The funny thing is that I agreed with the very first post that the specs are a lot better, which is to be expected when comparing it to a five year old device.

So the Shield is better in any way, shape or form?

How well does the non-existant keyboard perform, compared for the Pandora, for example?

And how well can you code and compile directly on the system?

I mentioned these above.

I am NOT trying to bash the Shield, I am JUST trying to open the limited "Specs and emulator"-view you seem to have to other tasks as well.

I added...Squishy keyboard buttons, cracks in casing,loose hinges,bowed bezel,
Well, the keyboard is pretty much subjective. I like it a lot better than any keyboard I ever had on a mobile device.

I know others love it as well and I know others find it squishy. It totally is a subjective thing.

Since we used the silver casings, the cracks you reported are the first one I heard of.

The hinge was designed from the very beginning to be open or closed, not anything in between (though I would've loved that as well).

The bowed bezel was something that could only be fixed with a complete redesign, which simply isn't possible. It will be fixed with a successor.

poor battery seating,
Fixed with the Rebirth unit and later.

delicate nubs with spotty control,
Agreed, those are bad and will be fixed with a successor as well.

lcd cable problems,
Mostly fixed, only a few ones fail these days, and even other huge companies like Palm, etc. had the same issues.

terrible wifi
I've got 500 - 600kB/s download rate (pretty normal for a mobile device from 2008) and a lot others I know have that as well.

It's a bit flakey for some people, but not that many (since the Rebirth version), actually.

Checking google, Router issues are normal for most devices. Wii, PS3, NDS, XBox360... you find tons of issues when searching google with Wifi as well, depending on the router you used.

Technology has improved a lot, so modern devices don't have that many issues anymore, but again, we're talking about 5 year old specs compared to something completely new here.

and with a spotty reputation..
If you check my name or my company for reputation, you will find out that I have a pretty good one.

The spotty reputation goes all the way down to Craig and OpenPandora Ltd.

It's pretty easy to find that out if you're interested in the Pandora and browsing through the web.

not to barge into this discussion, but there are 2 areas that are a complete rifts between the two devices.

Software is only as good as the one who write for it, taking a snapshot in time there are capabilities the pandora has that the sheild doesn't and vice versa. This is what I was getting at in my mini-review. Now if you fast forward all it takes is a serious linux OS developer to jump on the sheild for all those points you made about lacking certain functionality to be completely moot. Same thing for the pandora if we get a serious android OS developer on board the difference in software capabilities are completely pointless. Both have equal chances of happening IMO.

Hardware is not fluid like software and you have defined limits on what device is capable of doing what. When it comes to hardware the question of how much does 3x the storeage potential and a hardware keyboard mean to you. I know for a lot it means a whole bunch, but is that enough is the question being asked. Does it make up for that bigger better higher def display and multiple generations better processor, 4x the ram, better controls, better build quality, better audio capabilities (need an audiophile's opinion), better video out capabilities, & better wifi. That's a solid ass argument there ED, I swore I wouldn't bring up the price difference, but it's a consideration for people as well.

One thing is changeable, the other is not. That's just what it boils down to, I can see where he's coming from bringing up the hardware differences as the main point. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@EvilDragon...Ok I understand and agree. Can we be friends here? You opened me up :lol: ...really.

Only disagreement is that I was not the only silver unit cracked. There have been 2 others reported on here...1 was from Link and I forgot the other.

@SNESFAN....well said.

Last edited:
I never wanted to be foe ;)

But it's nothing special in my opinion that a five year old device has worse specs than a current one.

To be honest, I would be shocked if it would be different ;)

But that still doesn't mean it's the better device for everyone out there. :)

You are true EvilDragon and thank you for your honesty I never want to be a foe but can you say I am a friend? ;)  ....now for something completely different..........CRAZY TAXI is on the Shield store!!!!!!......4.99 usd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No bull it is. Downloading now!!!

Last edited:
Back