Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

So sad to say there is no real increase from cortex a8,a9 to a15 i suppose until mame can use all the cores symetrically ie 4x1.9 =7.6 ghz we wont see much improvement (fingers crossed)

In my experience all emulators require brute CPU horsepower.

I'm presuming that the shield has it's power in the GPU.

Pity

In my experience all emulators require brute CPU horsepower.

I'm presuming that the shield has it's power in the GPU.

Pity
thats my point 1.9ghz is nothing to mame 7.6ghz thats a different story my dual core e5200 compared to my gulftown i7 has massive differences in mame until mame can use multiple cpu's its not going to progress also the reason Radiant Silvergun is so laggy is because its hardware is based on the sega saturn , STV Titan i believe it's called and also struggles on an i7 which is why i asked snesfan to try it 17% speed at best on the pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
the shield (tegra 4) muti-threading works a little differently I think, at least in the stock governor there's some downclocking when each core is enabled. it's not a straight 1.9ghz x 4 (+1 a7)

1.440ghz each core if all 4 are running at full blast, It's still significant over one core running 1.9ghz but the addition of each core is exponential decrease in hz per core, possibly for thermal reasons.

other people have mentioned the lack of mult-treaded processing in mame4droid and not seeing any difference between a dual core a9 and a quad core a9 from the same chipset vendor at the same clock speed.

I haven't used it yet, but there is a 2.5ghz kernel out for the shield which if mono-core processing should give a big bump there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2398836

the shield (tegra 4) muti-threading works a little differently I think, at least in the stock governor there's some downclocking when each core is enabled. it's not a straight 1.9ghz x 4 (+1 a7)

1.440ghz each core if all 4 are running at full blast, It's still significant over one core running 1.9ghz but the addition of each core is exponential decrease in hz per core, possibly for thermal reasons.

other people have mentioned the lack of mult-treaded processing in mame4droid and not seeing any difference between a dual core a9 and a quad core a9 from the same chipset vendor at the same clock speed.

I haven't used it yet, but there is a 2.5ghz kernel out for the shield which if mono-core processing should give a big bump there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2398836
Hate mucking about with unlocking and cyanogen and flashing kernels screwed a nexus 7 up doing this until there is a gui unlocker and flasher id be warry

I agree, it's best to wait for "one click" flashers if you're not comfortable with manually flashing kernels and stuff. Having a GUI overclocking manager (once flashed) is fairly simple to use.

Although the fastboot utility is pretty straightforward as can be from a command line perspective at least.

to unlock the bootloader

command -> function

"fastboot oem unlock"

to flash the overclocked kernel

command -> function -> partition -> source image

"fastboot flash boot boot.img"

Not as bad as some devices where you have to break into the system and risk bricking and whatnot, custom recoveries and flashing .zip files can also be a bit offsetting. The shield's bootloader and unlock procedures are about the same as any nexus device though, so if you're thrown off by that, you'll stay thrown off by this.

I agree, it's best to wait for "one click" flashers if you're not comfortable with manually flashing kernels and stuff. Having a GUI overclocking manager (once flashed) is fairly simple to use.

Although the fastboot utility is pretty straightforward as can be from a command line perspective at least.

to unlock the bootloader

command -> function

"fastboot oem unlock"

to flash the overclocked kernel

command -> function -> partition -> source image

"fastboot flash boot boot.img"

Not as bad as some devices where you have to break into the system and risk bricking and whatnot, custom recoveries and flashing .zip files can also be a bit offsetting. The shield's bootloader and unlock procedures are about the same as any nexus device though, so if you're thrown off by that, you'll stay thrown off by this.
Actually my point was id done it countless times before flashed 3 nexus 7's to cyanogen with the same method and tools then one time even though i followed the usually procedures it bricked it can be hit and miss and you dont know if there is any latent damage to your tablet until it happens

4x1.9 =7.6 ghz we wont see much improvement (fingers crossed)
Software does not work that way. You cannot take a sequential program and just split it 4 ways and get quadruple the speed. The program needs to be written to actually be able to split tasks into different threads, and frequently emulators simply cannot do this. Sometimes they can split a few tasks out but the largest tasks must usually be handled sequentially. Using all four cores will not allow it to act as a 7.6Ghz machine in the slightest, least of all when it comes to emulators.

I just tried it and the buttons are not mapped correctly and using the built it controller config doesn't work with the buttons on the controller.  Using the on screen buttons was not fun but worked okay.  It ran perfect on the one I tried.  Which was the Dragonball mod.  Do you have certain one that is more demanding for me to try to gauge performance?

4x1.9 =7.6 ghz we wont see much improvement (fingers crossed)
Software does not work that way. You cannot take a sequential program and just split it 4 ways and get quadruple the speed. The program needs to be written to actually be able to split tasks into different threads, and frequently emulators simply cannot do this. Sometimes they can split a few tasks out but the largest tasks must usually be handled sequentially. Using all four cores will not allow it to act as a 7.6Ghz machine in the slightest, least of all when it comes to emulators.
What happened to the anythings possible attitude your a wizard stan help us out

My best 10 playing N64 games so far on the Shield are...Zelda Orcania of Time, Waialae Golf, Goldeneye 007 [amazing], Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, F ZERO X, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox 64, Crusin World 64, Wave Race 64. I am using Mupen 64 Plus AE and it cost .99cts . There is a free version too but I do not know what the difference is other than pledging support. 10/10 > 9/10..overall rating.

Also very playable  Forsaken 64, Donkey Kong 64, Duke Nukem 64, Duke Nukem [the 3rd person one I forgot the name], Quake 64, Quake 2.... 8/10>7/10 overall rating.

Look great on the tele too and amazing on the Shield screen.

I had trouble with.. Perfect Dark, Mario Tennis .  Perfect Dark froze up on me and Mario Tennis displays poor texture rendering.

Last edited:
Could someone please try out Quake 3 on the Nvidia Shield? It looks awesome.
I will later and let you know unless someone beats me to it ;)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.QIII4A

Try this version out when you get the chance. The older Kwaak3 is no longer in development.
downloading right now...thanks and I will report soon.....

OK update....absolutely amazing!!! One of the best versions of quake 3 arena I ever played and I played them all [ yes including the Pandora,PC and Dreamcast]. The reason why [and I am shaking from excitement as I type this] is the graphics on that screen, the control and audio is flawless. Real smooth no skips,hiccups or any imperfections!!! .....and it was free and there are no ads.  As far as control all I did was select joystick and everything else mapped automatically. So you do not need to touch anything on the screen!!!!!There are touch screen icons on the screen but they are hardly noticeable.. WOW..I thank you for this reference railroadmaster. ;)  Don't want to Pandora bash but I would give the nod to this version.

Highly recommended if you love Quake 3 Arena....the best I have ever played on a handheld..

Last edited:
Just been trying MAME with and without multi-core CPU enabled, I can barely see any speed difference.

This is on the latest x64 build that is available.

Just been trying MAME with and without multi-core CPU enabled, I can barely see any speed difference.

This is on the latest x64 build that is available.
Unless you have an overclocked Gulftown i7 you wont see any difference mame has been bottlenecked now for a couple of years hardly any speed increase and the way the devs are cant see any in the future accuracy over optimisation

Back