Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Engadget were pretty positive about it after their hands on.  

Here's some of their quotes 

"The boxing title featured during last night's pre-CES keynote looked just as good as it did yesterday"

"We got our first chance to go hands-on with the device this morning -- our first hands-on with any Tegra 4 device, mind you -- and came away impressed. Beyond being a speedy handheld, the 5-inch LED makes high-def PC games look even more visually stunning. Sheer pixel density alone meant that our test run of Need for Speed: Most Wanted looked even better on Project Shield than it did on the PC running it. More importantly, there was zero perceptible lag."

" the device felt solid, looked great, and sounded just as good. The speakers are, if anything, overbearingly loud (that's a good thing), and the screen is far more beautiful than we were expecting."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, lovely bit of kit.

Any guesses on price?

I'm going for $299

Priced between $200 and $250 max it would absolutely be massive .

To be honest the only way Nvidia can F.ck this up, is by over pricing it.  Unfortunately I feel they will probably do just that.  Wouldn't be surprised if they went $399 initially and no one really buys it, followed of course later by panicked price cutting.

This has the potential to be absolutely huge.. but some intelligent pricing is needed to make it seem indispensable.

I'm not that optimistic though, Nvidia are not exactly known for their competitive pricing strategies.. but who knows maybe they will surprise us (I've already set aside a fund)

I might start a Kickstarter project aiming to fund one of these for me to enjoy  :p

Priced between $200 and $250 max it would absolutely be massive .

To be honest the only way Nvidia can F.ck this up, is by over pricing it.  Unfortunately I feel they will probably do just that.  Wouldn't be surprised if they went $399 initially and no one really buys it, followed of course later by panicked price cutting.
This isn't a console. nVidia actually has to make a profit on this. This will probably be more expensive to manufacture than something like the Nexus 7. $399+ is almost a given, but don't expect to see any panicked price drop afterwards.

I'm not sure they're really looking to make it big either.. it might be more of a tech presentation than what's really intended to be a high volume device.

But so long as it's selling against a $600+ Pandora I'm sure at least some people will choose this, since I have a good feeling it won't cost that much. That doesn't mean it'll sway everyone, no matter how much people say the things Pandora offers don't matter. For instance, some people find Pandora to already be pushing the limits of acceptable thickness but this looks much thicker (and probably heavier). I can comfortably fit the Pandora in a coat pocket, this I'm not so sure about..

I think Nvidia are hoping it makes it big, part of their strategy to rope people into buying their Graphic cards. ie they have more interest in its success than just this console itself.  

The money is in the extra (high profit margin) Nvidia Graphics card sales it would generate.  Nvidia have a massive amount to gain by it's success. Plus to a small extent extra sales from Tegra Zone

"[...]Sheer pixel density alone meant that our test run of Need for Speed: Most Wanted looked even better on Project Shield than it did on the PC running it. More importantly, there was zero perceptible lag."
Awesome news. This is the 2013 jack of all trades gaming handheld which the Pandora was in 2008.

cool, they ported Hawken to Android!! (shown in the video above). We definitely need a P2 some time soon. ; ) Those new SoCs are incredible. As for gaming on Android, I'd rather go for a powerfull smartphone with a PhoneJoy Play controller.

...the Hawken backcover looks nice ; )

cool, they ported Hawken to Android!! (shown in the video above). We definitely need a P2 some time soon. ; ) Those new SoCs are incredible. As for gaming on Android, I'd rather go for a powerfull smartphone with a PhoneJoy Play controller.

I think hawken is streamed from pc (edit) ok its a beta android port

I think hawken is streamed from pc 
The video states it's actually an Android port. Some of the other clips later are being streamed from a PC, just not Hawken.

Chris

I think hawken is streamed from pc 
hawken was ported to android(was for the ouya project)

Does anyone know if it has Bluetooth , motion sensors and GPS?.

Pretty clear there is no camera (and therefor no AR game capability)

Aww, they've stolen my Idea of an awesome "build" trailer of the Device, I had something similar in mind for the Pandora presentation. :D  And I guess I'm not even the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hC28Gw5y7kw?feature=oembed

I know what he's talking about, I also have trouble after using the Pandora a longer time. The sharp edges on the lower side corners are pressing against my palms, maybe because of my big hands, maybe because I hold the device like I do. However, this area really needs some improvements in the future.

Back