Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

With all the dodging going on about pricing i fear this will go the same way as wikipad to overpriced would stretch to £299 no more

I'm pretty excited about this for a couple of reasons.

I switched to Android recently, and have been having a blast with the Galaxy Note 2 with a Gameklip (http://buy.thegameklip.com/) and PS3 controller.  I was surprised by how many good games there are on Android, and by how many decent games all of the sudden become very good games when you have physical controls.

When I come home from work, I'd much rather flop on the couch than sit in front of my computer playing games.  I also don't want to occupy the tv with playing games, since my wife couldn't use it then.  It would be awesome to be able to relax and play PC games streamed from my desktop while laying/sitting on the couch.

I only really play handhelds at home on the couch anyway...  Who cares that it's not pocketable?  They are obviously catering to a different market/use scenario than the 3DS or iPod Touch or whatever.  

I doubt my Pandora or Vita would fit in many of my pockets, but I haven't even tried as I only really pick them up to use them at home anyway.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about this.  If it's under $300, I'll get one.   :D

I'm pretty excited about this for a couple of reasons.

I switched to Android recently, and have been having a blast with the Galaxy Note 2 with a Gameklip (http://buy.thegameklip.com/) and PS3 controller.  I was surprised by how many good games there are on Android, and by how many decent games all of the sudden become very good games when you have physical controls.

When I come home from work, I'd much rather flop on the couch than sit in front of my computer playing games.  I also don't want to occupy the tv with playing games, since my wife couldn't use it then.  It would be awesome to be able to relax and play PC games streamed from my desktop while laying/sitting on the couch.

I only really play handhelds at home on the couch anyway...  Who cares that it's not pocketable?  They are obviously catering to a different market/use scenario than the 3DS or iPod Touch or whatever.  

I doubt my Pandora or Vita would fit in many of my pockets, but I haven't even tried as I only really pick them up to use them at home anyway.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about this.  If it's under $300, I'll get one.   :D
The way there talking jst now m8 i wouldnt count on it ps when we getting vektor blaster 2 

I fully expect the usual corporate pricing scheme/exchange rate will apply e.g. $399 = €399 = £399, if that's the case then us non-americans are going to get screwed as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, they've stolen my Idea of an awesome "build" trailer of the Device, I had something similar in mind for the Pandora presentation. :D  And I guess I'm not even the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hC28Gw5y7kw?feature=oembed
I know what you are saying, I also have big hands and after playing with the device for a long time my hands do get a bit resented. If Ed or anyone in the community could come up with something like a  rubber or silicon grip to sell like the nds grip I attach would be great and just equally confortable to use as this Nvidia device. 

nds grip.jpg

I have tiny hands but I also greatly prefer at least some rounded edges on a handheld. I got a grip for my PSP, for instance.

That said, I find Pandora immeasurably more comfortable to use than a Wiz, for instance.

If under 600 I will buy this instantly. An ergonomic portable emulator? Thats right there is enough justification for my purchase (even with a GCW zero coming to me.)

Oh it can also play android games with graphics that rival or beat the PSVita? That's a great added bonus, just needs some games designed for Core gamers rather than mobile casual gamers.

I already have 2 gaming pc's, one connected to the TV running XBMC/Steam Big Picture. so the tv connectivity is something i will never use. 

Imagine if you could stream from your home PC to the device over its LTE modem using a VPN. Would be like creating your own personal OnLive handheld.

Currently I'll play games on my tv, if you girlfriend wants to watch tv, I save and quit, the save gets synced to my Gaming PC in another room and I continue playing there. With this device and a VPN I could continue playing when I leave the house. That is the most incredible advancement in portable gaming that Ive ever seen. If of course it works.

EDIT: If the VPN option is possible I will go as far as getting a dedicated Internet line for the VPN (fast upload) and a 6gb data plan for the Handheld. I would spend ridiculous amounts of money to be able to recreate the home gaming experience on the go. (Whatever happened to project fiona?)

EDIT2: Looks like project fiona is actually going to be made, even at 3x the price of this thing it is much greater value. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If under 600 I will buy this instantly. An ergonomic portable emulator? Thats right there is enough justification for my purchase (even with a GCW zero coming to me.)

Oh it can also play android games with graphics that rival or beat the PSVita? That's a great added bonus, just needs some games designed for Core gamers rather than mobile casual gamers.

I already have 2 gaming pc's, one connected to the TV running XBMC/Steam Big Picture. so the tv connectivity is something i will never use. 

Imagine if you could stream from your home PC to the device over its LTE modem using a VPN. Would be like creating your own personal OnLive handheld.

Currently I'll play games on my tv, if you girlfriend wants to watch tv, I save and quit, the save gets synced to my Gaming PC in another room and I continue playing there. With this device and a VPN I could continue playing when I leave the house. That is the most incredible advancement in portable gaming that Ive ever seen. If of course it works.

EDIT: If the VPN option is possible I will go as far as getting a dedicated Internet line for the VPN (fast upload) and a 6gb data plan for the Handheld. I would spend ridiculous amounts of money to be able to recreate the home gaming experience on the go. (Whatever happened to project fiona?)
or you could hava a device that renders the game locally so you dont need the pc at all...

Isn't there something pretty lame about a handheld that only works when able to stream high-res, low latency video off a network?

Isn't there something pretty lame about a handheld that only works when able to stream high-res, low latency video off a network?
What do you mean? It's a full featured Android device, that's just an added capability. Some will focus on one more than the other but that doesn't change that it can do both.

Actually, from what I've seen a lot of Android games look much better than most Vita games.  Modern Combat 4 running on a Galaxy Note 2 beats the pants off of Resistance Burning Skies or Black Ops: Declassified in my opinion, for the simple fact that it runs at the native resolution of the phone.  Resistance and Black Ops (as with a bunch of Vita games) run at a much lower resolution and are scaled up, when looks pretty horrible in my opinion.

You know the streaming is just a feature, right?  It's a full-fledged android handheld as well...  And a freaking powerful one, at that.

Actually, from what I've seen a lot of Android games look much better than most Vita games.  Modern Combat 4 running on a Galaxy Note 2 beats the pants off of Resistance Burning Skies or Black Ops: Declassified in my opinion, for the simple fact that it runs at the native resolution of the phone.  Resistance and Black Ops (as with a bunch of Vita games) run at a much lower resolution and are scaled up, when looks pretty horrible in my opinion.

>Isn't there something pretty lame about a handheld that only works when able to stream high-res, low latency video off a network?
You know the streaming is just a feature, right?  It's a full-fledged android handheld as well...  And a freaking powerful one, at that.
I dont get why the vita seems comparatively undepowered compared to some phones, from what I read it has a beastly soc(comparable to the a5x) and it isnt hampered by a big os like android or ios.

Vita is already dead hardware... nobody buys one and those who do leave it alone after a couple of weeks. Unless Sony comes up with a killer game for the Vita, I do not see the situation change for them. It will stay a niche market. 

I almost decided to buy a vita myself but really other than rayman origins there is no game i want to play for it. (and i already have origins on PC.

Depending on how well this can play pc games on the go (either through VPN or a streaming company utilizing nvidia grid) wil be the deciding factor. I could see this coming for around 500, ill probably get one. Ill probably wait until project fiona is out to compare the two.

Back