Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

^  Not sure if you cant do it now, you can with Apple TV.  The issue with Apple TV though (and maybe the Android equivelants?) is latency/lag, this is what they claim is reduced to acceptable levels with their arrangement.

As I said before , I wouldn't be surpised if it's $399. It just depends on what Nvidia research makes of the comments people have been posting under all the stories on it. ie basically $150 - $250 tops is what I'm seeing, more and people are saying forget it.
And yet people are paying $500-$600 for a freaking ipad. This can do more, right?

Whether it can do more or not is beside the point, if this goes on sale for over £250 i reckon people will abandon it(i hope not)it has a lot of potential, but android gaming is still in its infancy and devices like this need to be handled right and priced accordingly, hopefully nvidia will see sense . Apple products are a whole different ball game.

There is a lot of information in this thread for ED and Craig regarding the pricing of the Pandora.

I had the same feeling as a lot $250/$275 tops. $350 if it would have had a full keyboard (no idea where they would have put it) as it would serve for a lot more purposes in my daily routine then.

Would it be fair to say that an outsider who isn`t emotionally attached to this project and community would have a similar price range in mind when considering the Pandora?

I would buy one of these basically regardless of the price... because I have a gadget addiction...

your regular "sane" people won't pay over $399 USD I'm thinking. The "$300 dollar rule" I think still stands true

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing that may help keep the price down is Nvidia's competition with itself in a sense. They won't want to price this thing so high that someone could just buy the tegra 4 soc and make their own shield knock off and undercut them. Yet they won't want to make the tegra 4 soc so expensive as to limit sales to phone oem's. Basically, they will probably "sell" the tegra 4 to themselves at cost to keep the sale price of the shield down. Of course a knock-off would probably not be able to do the nifty steam streaming thing but it's still something I'm sure they'd want to consider. I mean, I'd buy a knock off for half the price even if it didn't do the streaming...

The one thing that may help keep the price down is Nvidia's competition with itself in a sense. They won't want to price this thing so high that someone could just buy the tegra 4 soc and make their own shield knock off and undercut them. Yet they won't want to make the tegra 4 soc so expensive as to limit sales to phone oem's. Basically, they will probably "sell" the tegra 4 to themselves at cost to keep the sale price of the shield down. Of course a knock-off would probably not be able to do the nifty steam streaming thing but it's still something I'm sure they'd want to consider. I mean, I'd buy a knock off for half the price even if it didn't do the streaming...
No one with the funds necessary to invest in a quality product wants to make a non-subsidized Android handheld (and almost no one who isn't Nintendo will want to make a subsidized one, given the long list of failures before smartphones even started eroding the market potential). They would have done so already. Shield isn't an amazing new idea that'll now get ripped off.

nVidia has a special interest in pushing this because it's a tech demonstration for them, and they're also as usual pushing unnecessary product lock-in by requiring Keplers in desktops in order to stream content. None of this benefits anyone who wants to knock off the product, who also must pay a higher price to get the chip from nVidia. Probably higher still if they need to go through a distributor in order to satisfy the low volume demand for this product, if it's even available through a distributor.

For a less extreme example look at Pandora. A bigger company could easily make and sell a direct clone, something that runs the same software and everything, for less than OPT is. They don't because there's not enough potential for ROI and so they'd rather invest in something else.

nVidia doesn't have to worry about the so-called $300 rule because the audience that applies to (conventional handheld gamers) were probably not going to buy the device even if it were $300. And it doesn't really matter because I doubt nVidia can even make a profit at $300, which is a requirement. If your projected market is small but willing to pay more then you should charge that amount. I'm sure nVidia will research that. Most gamers were probably never going to buy this for anything more than a price that'd cause nVidia to take a major loss.

so your thinking like $600 for the shield then? If they want to sell this thing at any large numbers at all they will have to cut the costs somewhere and selling the chip to themselves at cost seem like a likely avenue to me even if your right about the knock offs which I'm not convinced you are. The shield has created quite a buzz already, whether it succeeds or fails, I think the knock offs are coming. People will probably call the pandora 2  a shield knock-off :p I'm only speculating of course, but I'm hoping the shield (or just the tegra 4 itself) gets a lot of people very interested in open hardcore portable gaming. 

I'm thinking > $400. $350 is a remote possibility in my mind. $500 or even $600 doesn't sound unthinkable. Who knows what their actual volume projections are, and whether or not they're realistic. "A lot" is a pretty meaningless term by itself.

I actually told someone an another forum that if it's under $299 I'd buy one for him, so I'm pretty damn confident it won't be so low.

will you buy me one too?  :)   

I'm with you though, <300 is unthinkable whereas >500 seems like a distinct possibility. Unfortunately $300-350 is my personal limit and even that would be a trick, kids are expensive! Maybe I'll start selling my plasma :D   

Awesome specs, yeah... but I also don't really like the design... well, if you could even call it design.

A Sony Controller with a screen attached ;)

I have tiny hands but I also greatly prefer at least some rounded edges on a handheld. I got a grip for my PSP, for instance.

That said, I find Pandora immeasurably more comfortable to use than a Wiz, for instance.
That design is a disaster.  The fact that it won't fit in a pocket, jacket, pants or otherwise is a complete failure.

This just gives us all the realization of how good a Pandora II could be in comparison.

What design is a disaster? The cheap detachable grips for PSP? Shield? The post you responded to didn't say anything about Shield..

I bought my Pandora earlier this year, we all know that it is a bit pricey, plus I do not regret a penny I paid on my Pandora and even in the 60% tax they had to pay, would not trade her for anything or let her away from me.

The Shield seems quite promising, more 3x3400mah + Tegra4, it seems a high price, and I still can not see (looks I've ever looked at various angles) advantage on any Android console, perhaps after the Shield, Androids and other consoles , get a games console gameplay, not to a smarthphone gameplay, bad guess completely unnecessary.

The Pandora really needs a big upgrade compared today's technologies, but with all tests, videos, information which saw the Pandora, she is amazing!! and thank all of you who made and still makes Pandora a monster without help of a monstrous hardware.

Note: If you are not happy with your Pandora, sale and just GTFO. =)

Sorry about poor English. =)

MarTinazzI

I think that the hardware keyboards are history. Why you will ever need a hardware keyboard on device with capacitive multi touch screen ?

Back