Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

that person must have midget hands... all the other reviews didn't make it look that big

NVIDIA-Project-Shield-1-477x575.jpeg

Why would someone buy that when they could buy a netbook and a USB gamepad?
It doesn't look very pocketable, and is obviously inferior to a fixed home system - therefore it must be designed to be carried around in a bag...?

Why would someone buy that when they could buy a netbook and a USB gamepad? It doesn't look very pocketable, and is obviously inferior to a fixed home system - therefore it must be designed to be carried around in a bag...?
It's not just about how you can transport it (can probably fit in a coat pocket at least) but how you can use it. A netbook with a USB gamepad needs to be placed on a surface and a handheld like this doesn't, and that's a big difference. Netbook + controller would be really cumbersome to use in a car, for instance.

Too bad we don't see netbooks with a design like the old OLPC, with gaming controls on the front and a screen swivel..

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I'd like to have one of these for some sofa gaming.

It does look larger in that pic though, I thought was more Xbox controller sized with a 5" ish sized screen. ... that looks like a 7" tablet screen there

it is a 5" screen, engadget confirmed this, but to me it looks larger in that pic above... just deceptive I guess, or the guy does have smaller hands than me

^

Same thing happened with a Ouya mockup photo some journo put together. Basically it's very deceptive when an object is held close to the camera with the person standing further behind. It makes the object look huge and distorts your perception of the persons parts .

Clumsy design, supposedly bad batterylife, high pricing and not open:

Do not want.

^

Umm. What?

Design is suited for gaming but not to everyone's taste .

Great battery life, where did you here it was bad?. It's got like a 10,000mah battery in it.

Don't now pricing yet, so why make a pricing comment?

It's as open as any Android device is, but if true open source is what your after there are not many products that can claim that

just to add some things

it's like a xbox 360 controller, but it's an entire console, and it's a clamshell.. what's clumsy about that?

nvidia is claiming 5-10 hours on that massive 10200mah battery (3x 3400mah 18650's)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-shield-tegra-4-gaming,3420-2.html

all the other tegra devices have had their kernel source code publicly released by their manufacturer, in fact the nexus 7 (tegra 3) they hand walk you on downloading their source code, and how to compile the entire OS and kernel and flash it to the device, that's about as open as anything else out there.

I will give you that this is the first device released by nvidia directly, so it's unknown how compliant they are going to be with gpl. And it's unknown (so it can go either way) if the bootloader will come partially or fully locked. But there's enough evidence to show devices that don't come from 3rd party vendors (ie cell phone carriers) have unlockable bootloaders, I'd put money on this following suit.

The controls section almost looks like it can be removed to swap in something else.

Back