Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Razer Switchblade was avaiable since several months already.... it is hard to find the accesories (included the attached pad) , but you can get it. But is a real expensive thing, i mean REAL EXPENSIVE. A Swithcblade top version with the keyboard , joystick accesory attached and dock will cost you more than  3 grands.... i know probably it worths (just think about ALL the windows next gen games played on a portable console...)  but... mhhh. I will wait for the WIKIPAD and the cloud gaming. if WIKIPAD is doing great now with ONLIVE, i want to see how thing goes wen Sony launched the cloud gaming service they just bought..... probably in near future we will only need a good screen and controls to play games. I think cloud gaming is the future at some point. Right now every console is offering streaming gaming (local or cloud): Shield (from GFORCE based PCs) , VITA (from PS3 and soon PS4) , WIIU is a "2 in one" console (one is a parasite handheld ).

So.. streaming, cloud gaming (or maybe streaming from a BIG device at home) may be the next step in portable gaming. I will not spend 3 grands on a monster like this, that of course i will be only able to play at home (who will want to play on a 3000 usd toy at bus??? )

I think PANDORA must focus on STEAM and offer STEAM integration as long STEAM is going linux....if Pandora can run a more universal Linux distro and become STEAM enhanced, will offer something different than the others and still will be an UP TO DATE option for a big segment in the market as long the other consoles are not focusing on STEAM...

although I've heard about shield (news headlines) a while back, this thread made me take a closer look.

what can I say. This is quite awesome and the 299$ price tag is definitely not too high for this kind of hardware. kudos, NVidia!

Any potential P2 successor that aims for the gamer crowd will have a very hard time competing against this one.

I'm currently at p22 of this thread and someone mentioned that it has micro-switches. how cool is that.
(..and I'm currently sick, not much else to do than surfing the web and watching movies..head feels like a balloon :p )

I wonder whether the screen can do 50Hz (like the Pandora), and whether the Linux desktop on it is fully accelerated (in terms of graphics) / has proper GL(ES) drivers.

Then again, I do not regret buying a Pandora (a few weeks ago) -- it does what I expected of it and it is more suitable for productivity purposes (w/o having to resort to USB add-ons) since it has a keyboard (important to me) and probably a better audio output (also important). I'm also not that much of a gamer nowadays resp. I have other toys for that. I do enjoy an occasional game of RiverRun, Pang, SlamTilt/PD, R-Type, F-Zero, SuperCastleVania, CamelTry, or Devils'Crush and Galaga90, though :) . That and I feel like the HW in the current Pandora is already fast enough for my needs. For "high-end" games HW can never be fast enough, of course.

Well, I would love to see a hardware like the Shield/Tegra4, with a SATA port or two for mass storage, in form of a small, power-efficient rubik's-cube sized device (no controls/display), that can replace my desktop PC. I'd instantly buy that if it costs ~200$ or less.

Actually, the microswitches where a mistake. Early units had a clicking noise that made them sound like MS, but where not.

I love my Pandora, and I'm currently considering a 1Ghz unit, as my original is having LCD cable issues, and no one seems to able to tell me when parts will be restocked, and with better N64 emulation around the corner, it may not be such a bad idea.

I'm also currently plotting to get my Shield. Sadly, I've had life matters that have been using my extra funds lately, but I'm still on board to get one and I can't wait. It really is a killer device and a retro gamers dream come true.

Chris

although I've heard about shield (news headlines) a while back, this thread made me take a closer look.

what can I say. This is quite awesome and the 299$ price tag is definitely not too high for this kind of hardware. kudos, NVidia!

Any potential P2 successor that aims for the gamer crowd will have a very hard time competing against this one.

I'm currently at p22 of this thread and someone mentioned that it has micro-switches. how cool is that.

(..and I'm currently sick, not much else to do than surfing the web and watching movies..head feels like a balloon :p )

I wonder whether the screen can do 50Hz (like the Pandora), and whether the Linux desktop on it is fully accelerated (in terms of graphics) / has proper GL(ES) drivers.

Then again, I do not regret buying a Pandora (a few weeks ago) -- it does what I expected of it and it is more suitable for productivity purposes (w/o having to resort to USB add-ons) since it has a keyboard (important to me) and probably a better audio output (also important). I'm also not that much of a gamer nowadays resp. I have other toys for that. I do enjoy an occasional game of RiverRun, Pang, SlamTilt/PD, R-Type, F-Zero, SuperCastleVania, CamelTry, or Devils'Crush and Galaga90, though :) . That and I feel like the HW in the current Pandora is already fast enough for my needs. For "high-end" games HW can never be fast enough, of course.

Well, I would love to see a hardware like the Shield/Tegra4, with a SATA port or two for mass storage, in form of a small, power-efficient rubik's-cube sized device (no controls/display), that can replace my desktop PC. I'd instantly buy that if it costs ~200$ or less.
Audio Output on the Pandora is really amazing but I think the Shield is better and definitely louder.  I had a Pandora but not at the same time as the Shield or I could have done a direct comparison. They are both really good, but I think the Shield is just a little bit better.

Not sure how to test the 50Hz setting on the Nvidia Shield, but I will look into this and see if I can test it.

^ Are we talking speakers or though headphones, Speaker wise the Pandora doesn't have anything special, however the Pandora is the only mobile device I've seen that can drive studio quality headphones decently.

The Pandora speakers are really good, and along with the battery, have been two of it's best selling points.

The Shield speakers are in a class ALONE, and can't be compared to anything on the market currently. 

Chris

The Pandora speakers are really good, and along with the battery, have been two of it's best selling points.

The Shield speakers are in a class ALONE, and can't be compared to anything on the market currently. 

Chris
The Shield audio system was developed during 17 months, and it is the only portable device i know having a pasive  SUB WOOFER. You can use the shield to put sound on a full room or in your car without need of any "extra speakers". If you put the Shield at the top of volume inside a car you can not keep a chat with your friends... and no distortion at all. I full agree with Chris: Shield speakers (as well as other shield aspects) can not be compared with anything in the market.

But i am not pissing Pandora for this i agree that the Pandora has probably the best quality output audio , maybe only can be compared with the incredible Zodiac YAMAHA audio chip (if anybody here owns a Zodiac know well what i am talking about in terms of headphones audio quality)

Once again i love my Pandora (Pandoras in fact) and i love the Shield. I feel there are 2 different generations consoles and make different things in a different way. The time runs, there is no console out there capable to keep forever as "the last". But this is not the point on be a GOOD console or a BAD console. The Zodiac is a legend... still now.. who will deny the Zodiac is still a gem in terms of video playing, emulation, music playing and even 3d games? And yes, it has near 10 years now!  That makes some consoles GREAT. Zodiac can not be compared with a current Smarphone or tablet.. but come on: i want to see if in 10 years the Xperia Play can be full functional like my Zodiac is today. (i hope so)

Pandora is Pandora, Shield is Shield. If you can buy both, go for both. You will no regret about Pandora, no regret about Shield but will be for different reasons. A good reason to own a Pandora is here: the repo, the most dynamic scene in  the open handhelds history, a new free game, or update or ap every day i see no point on stating one or the other is "better" based only in hardware. Design.. history,.. ahh.. yes you can LOVE more than one handheld, everybody of you know that , we practice HANDHELD POLIGAMY ! (at least me)... ;)

The Shield sounds a great device to own for plotting on the sofa with and getting some gaming in, would like to hear these speakers now too.

Be good for trips away too, when on a long train journey or a weekend break.

Pandora I would imagine using more for part of the every day carry through, since it is pocket-able where the Shield isn't.

Used to get some gaming in for short daily tube journeys, waiting around here and there for people, all those other moments where you caught with a little free time to burn.

I wish I had both to enjoy :)

I am guilty of handheld poligamy as it is, two more mistresses would be fine :)

The best moment for a Pandora is wen, in a middle of a meeting were everybody has tablets, ipads, netbooks, etc... you need to send an email and you say "Excuse me, i need to send an email..." and you take your Pandora out of the pocket, put on the table and start typing enjoying all that faces of "WTFF??????????????????"  ... most "mainstream geeks" don't know the Pandora and wen they see some kind of mini netbook, with nubs, they always get crazy and start asking questions. After all.. everybody can carry an Ipad or a Nexus, but you state "Hey, i am A DIFFERENT KIND of monster".

The 3g modem support is something GREAT on the Pandora as well, is the perfect life saver wen you are in the middle of "NO-WIFI-LAND" and need to make some job.

About gaming... the "neo retro style" on most Pandora exclusive games has its own flavor, the PC emulation with a physical keyboard is priceless and it is still my favorite console to play PSX games. The emu is the best , more than this, the Pandora (with the nubs and the LCD screen this exactly format) is the perfect place to play PSX, even if this machine only do this and they sell as a "portable PSX" it is cool enough for me.

I am happy about more and more handhelds are coming to existence: indie handhelds, big company handhelds, cheap chinese handhelds... we are in a HANDHELD GOLDEN AGE, were you have too much to choose, exactly at the moment all the mainstream geeks predicted the portable gaming will dissapear under a pile of tablets and smartphones. Well, is not the case. The last 2 years were the more exciting years in the handheld history since the early 2000's (GBA SP, GP32, GP2X, ZODIAC,NGAGE, PSP, GIZMONDO,DS, etc..) and it is a good time to be a portable gamer. If people and press talk about portable gaming, and compare handhelds, it will beneffit EVERY handheld.

We can get different cool handhelds like the NVIDIA and Pandora, or we need to think about it and choose one according to our own wishes..all this is exciting. Remember the times were the handhelds were only PSP , DS and GPH upgrades each one on the same concept?  We are no longer on that boring days. :)

My Shield has been rooted and unlocked since the day I got it , 4 days after it was released. 

That's kind of old news   :)

^ Are we talking speakers or though headphones, Speaker wise the Pandora doesn't have anything special, however the Pandora is the only mobile device I've seen that can drive studio quality headphones decently.
I didn't have them at the same time but I can say the Shield can definitely pump some quality sound into Studio quality headphones pretty good.  My friend has a pair of the studio headphones I think he said they were like 150 dollars and they sound amazing on the Shield. I think the Pandora stands a chance against the Shield in terms of quality of sound pumped through the headphone jack, but speaker wise the Pandora definitely doesn't stand a chance.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-gamestream-a-whole-new-way-to-game

confirmed updates estimated 10/28/13

1080p hdmi out (720p letterbox limit before)

60fps PC streaming (previously limited to 30fps)

screen blanking (ability to turn screen off without going to sleep)

"enhanced wifi QoS" (speculating; streaming packets get priority over other services)

not guaranteed, but was hinted that the OS would see an update to 4.3 which major improvements include major reduction in audio latency for stuff like emulators and games using NDK. Also a bugfix/improvement in garbage collection that over time to slowdown overall system performance.

Something I hope they fix but was no mention was a sleep bug where the overall system performance would drop to around 50% after being woke up, this mainly only effected multi-core applications like benchmarks, not terribly noticeable in most emulators or games.

tied in with the update is a special offer if you purchase a gtx 770, 780 or titan you get $100 off the purchase of a new shield and they throw in 3 games. If you buy a 660, 670, 680, 690 or 760 you'll get $50 off and 2 games. Offer dates from 10/28/13 - 11/26/13

that's $199 for a shield people.... mind=blown

Last edited by a moderator:
SWEET^

This should help sales even more. I need a new graphics card, so I may have to get in on this deal. $200 for a Shield, that's a crazy sick deal. Sadly, the offer ends before black Friday, so my chances of getting a gfx even cheaper may be harder to do, but I'm going to keep my eyes opened.

Chris

Hows it looking Snesfan any new vids planned the new build of retroarch looks good on paper new mame builds and sh3 support plus new filters and crt scanlines any chance of a new vid when its released would be nice to see how mushihime sama deathsmiles and espgaluda 2 play my core2 runs them fullspeed and the mame emulation is very good heres a vid of said games running on the pc build     forward to7.30 for gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mFpanvfASl4?feature=oembed

android port of retroarch/libretro is still running 9.9.6 and not the new 9.9.7 with the mame and vba changes, but once they kick that dmca complaint and update their official build on google play I'll check it out and post some videos.

I've been spending my free time working on a opendingux port as shown here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11434-nvidias-project-shield-android-tegra-4-inside/page-53#entry278726

ran into an issue I haven't found a good answer for yet, as to how to fix the screen rotation. The shield is a portrait display in landscape mounting. Android gpu drivers allow for efficient and quick rotation transparently in the OS. The video of archlinux running in the correct orientation is with a built in feature of x11 similar to android. Opendingux (the linux userspace I'm porting) doesn't have an x server at all so I'm left with doing the rotation by modifying SDL or by hacking the kernel framebuffer. Both options are way above my head and look pretty difficult to do (at least for me). The alternative to that is to rewrite every app on the platform and shift all the layers of graphics individually and rotate them rather than rotating the entire rendered image. Quite a big task there as well.

If I understood bitbake and OE better I would have ported angstrom or .next over but I have yet to successfully compile either of those for the pandora. But at least with that option there's an x server and could be rotated easier, but I'm guessing I'd still have the same SDL problem unless SDL runs on top of x, but I haven't the slightest idea either way. I may end up going arm xubuntu or archlinux instead and taking the easy way out.

anyway, so that's what I've been up to lately.

android port of retroarch/libretro is still running 9.9.6 and not the new 9.9.7 with the mame and vba changes, but once they kick that dmca complaint and update their official build on google play I'll check it out and post some videos.

I've been spending my free time working on a opendingux port as shown here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11434-nvidias-project-shield-android-tegra-4-inside/page-53#entry278726

ran into an issue I haven't found a good answer for yet, as to how to fix the screen rotation. The shield is a portrait display in landscape mounting. Android gpu drivers allow for efficient and quick rotation transparently in the OS. The video of archlinux running in the correct orientation is with a built in feature of x11 similar to android. Opendingux (the linux userspace I'm porting) doesn't have an x server at all so I'm left with doing the rotation by modifying SDL or by hacking the kernel framebuffer. Both options are way above my head and look pretty difficult to do (at least for me). The alternative to that is to rewrite every app on the platform and shift all the layers of graphics individually and rotate them rather than rotating the entire rendered image. Quite a big task there as well.

If I understood bitbake and OE better I would have ported angstrom or .next over but I have yet to successfully compile either of those for the pandora. But at least with that option there's an x server and could be rotated easier, but I'm guessing I'd still have the same SDL problem unless SDL runs on top of x, but I haven't the slightest idea either way. I may end up going arm xubuntu or archlinux instead and taking the easy way out.

anyway, so that's what I've been up to lately.
i doubt it'll be up again soon m8 the only way now will be sideloading the apk from libreto's site when they post it there is a couple of vids on youtube showing the pc build with crt scanlines enabled running ridge racer on mame and two other games and it looks stunning its on an i5 but so performance wise we'll have to wait and see

Back