O2em / G7000 Ported To Gp2x

Mark1970 posted on Oct 8 2006 at 03:46 PM said:
I must say the little gp2x screen makes the Videopac's graphics look very clean and minimalist. Very nice gameplay. Great efford! Thanks for creating this port. Love it! Love it!

Even the joystick of the GP2X feels almost the same :)

BTW. was munchkin always so hard? That 3d level is way too fast... damn I'm not getting rusty am I?

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Great. Always wanted this ported to the GP32 but no one seemed to get around to it :)

Surely this emu can hit Full Speed with sound ;) I mean the graphics are just single cloured squares :p

Here's a link to a little video I made of the emulator running on my gp2x. The framerate on the video is low - the actual emulator runs full speed zero frameskips with perfect sound!

KCMunchkin isn't that hard, I always get upto scores around 400-450's easily. Of course it does go fast and the controls are a bit lagged - also on the real machine

Nice vid, Mark!

Mark1970 posted on Oct 10 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
KCMunchkin isn't that hard, I always get upto scores around 400-450's easily. Of course it does go fast and the controls are a bit lagged - also on the real machine

Hmmm... do I see someone challenging me ? I'd better fire up the gp2x again ;)

Thanks. b.o.b

Reproducable black screen on both FW 2.0.1 and FW 2.1.0 when o2em is the first thing I run from the regular FW menu.
When I fire up o2em from the standard FW menu as the first program after powering up all I get is a black screen - the game doesn't appear to start properly.
When I fire up o2em after another program has run, the emulation does kick in properly.

Is this SDL related? Are screen settings not initialized properly from the o2em? No problems with other emulators. Wierd that it does function every time I run something prior to starting o2em....?

Mark1970 posted on Oct 27 2006 at 04:34 AM said:
Thanks. b.o.b

Reproducable black screen on both FW 2.0.1 and FW 2.1.0 when o2em is the first thing I run from the regular FW menu.
When I fire up o2em from the standard FW menu as the first program after powering up all I get is a black screen - the game doesn't appear to start properly.
When I fire up o2em after another program has run, the emulation does kick in properly.

Is this SDL related? Are screen settings not initialized properly from the o2em? No problems with other emulators. Wierd that it does function every time I run something prior to starting o2em....?
ahaa! now I can play Monkeyshines! and PickAxe Pete. I seem to have the same problem.

I think one of the Squidenes' had a similar issue, but I don't recall what the solution was.

Mark1970 posted on Oct 27 2006 at 10:34 AM said:
Thanks. b.o.b

It uses allegro rather than the SDL so can't be that.

I always use g2xmenu which may explain why I've never come across it. Will investigate and see what I can find.

How do you get out of the black screen?

As it happens I was planning on releasing an updated version soon, I have implemented a menu sytem to reset and exit the emulator, also have added save/load states, volume control and the joysticks can now be switched in game. I am currently working on a rom selector, will release as soon as that is complete.

Then will start on the virtual keyboard, I'm not expecting that to take too long.

I don't get out of the black screen - the gp2x definitely seems to have crashed. I need to power down and up again.

Wow. Keep up the work - my 63 year old mom (who was quite addicted to the Videopac in it's day) practically fainted when she saw o2em running on my gp2x. I might end up getting her a gp2x with o2em installed on it for Xmas ;)

Mark1970 posted on Oct 30 2006 at 04:50 PM said:
I don't get out of the black screen - the gp2x definitely seems to have crashed. I need to power down and up again.

Wow. Keep up the work - my 63 year old mom (who was quite addicted to the Videopac in it's day) practically fainted when she saw o2em running on my gp2x. I might end up getting her a gp2x with o2em installed on it for Xmas ;)

Got to the bottom of the BSD (black screen of death), I won't get technical but it turned out to be due to a bug in the allegro library, I have added a work around to the emulator and it seems to be ok now.

I will post the fixed version in the archive in the next few days, just want to get a few more things ironed out first.

In the meantime I suggest you run it from menu2x, you can also use this as a rom selector for the time being, put this script in the gmenu2x\section\games directory:

title=o2em
description=Videopac Emulator
icon=/mnt/sd/o2em/o2em_gp2x.png
exec=/mnt/sd/o2em/o2em_gp2x.gpe
params=[selFile][selExt]
clock=133
selectordir=/mnt/sd/o2em/roms/
wrapper=true

if you want to use the videopac+ bios (assuming you have it in the bios directory) then change params to:

params=[selFile][selExt] -g7400

I'll let you know as soon as I upload the latest version.

Cheers

Back